http://www.michnews.com/artman/publish/ ... 7943.shtml

Arizona Border Warriors
By Dustin Hawkins
MichNews.com
Apr 22, 2005

I knew I liked the Minutemen as soon as the ACLU started a “Legal Observer Project� to make sure that no laws would be broken along the U.S.-Mexican border. Normal, alert people might think the most likely candidate for “law-breaking� along the border would be illegal immigrants from Mexico. But if you are the ACLU, the likely criminals are those who are Americans and who are protecting America all while not violating any laws – obvious violations of the law.

The innocents are the poor saps trying to break into the country illegally, work here illegally, and not pay any taxes for the illegal work they are doing. But then, I wouldn’t want to make it seem as though any laws have been broken. (And anytime there is a law being broken, one can rest assured that the ACLU is there to help the lawbreaker.)

You do have to sympathize with the Mexican people, however. While they have a large population of people who are willing to work hard for low pay, an inept and clueless government is ruining the country for them with bad policy decisions. It’s like the Jimmy Carter era for Mexicans. They have plenty of resources, but no one who can properly manage them. I feel for the people, but this doesn’t mean they should break our laws. We are doing what we can for them; we’ve even sent in Wal-Marts.

The Minuteman Project, of course, consists of a number of individual volunteers willing to sacrifice their time in order to patrol the U.S.-Mexican border to prevent these illegal aliens from entering the country. Or more so, they plan to bring greater attention to the problem of illegal immigration. I knew the latter had been done once an on-scene Sean Hannity started hopping fences from American soil to Mexican soil – ok, so technically still American soil but really, really close to Mexican soil -- all while not even smudging his khakis.

And the ACLU, like a miniature version of the United Nations, is spending its time trying to obstruct the pro-American position. So they send monitors in order to monitor the men monitoring the borders to ensure that illegal immigrants aren’t being mistreated for breaking the law. While the Minutemen had broken no laws, the ACLU insisted they surely would, being stupid white rednecks with shotguns, no teeth, and a liking for lynching minorities and all. But that’s just the impression you get if you listen to liberals, the media, or Air America.

But while the “reckless crusaders� have yet to do anything wrong, there is no shortage of reports about the ACLU harassing the Minutemen. Though, admittedly, they have yet to take on pie-throwing at this point. Among the monitors other alleged, but heretofore unproven, actions: trying to get Sean Hannity arrested for “entering the country illegally,� warning lawbreakers that the evil Minutemen are nearby by signaling horns and flashing lights, and rolling dope. If some of these allegations are untrue, Dan Rather made me do it.

But even President Bush has stepped on the wrong side of the fence on this one. Calling the Minutemen “vigilantes� he says that a “common-sense� immigration policy needs to be present. Inasmuch as he is the President, it is his duty to put such a policy in place, and in that he has failed. Hillary Clinton has taken a more hard line stance on the issue. And that really scares me. Bush needs to stop trying to please Vicente Fox, drop the “uniter not a divider� crap, and do what is right. If that means building a 15-foot concrete wall stretching hundreds of miles, than so be it. Drop the “compassionate� in conservative and do what needs to be done. If I wanted John Kerry for president, I would have voted for him.

Meanwhile, Arizona Director of the ACLU, Eleanor Eisenberg says that the ACLU hopes that their “observer project will continue to shed light on the activities of the Minutemen and will ensure that private citizens do not detain, harass or humiliate others in violation of the law." (Next up: Observers sent to monitor neighborhood watch groups, ensure criminals not mistreated by rogue civilians.)

Eisenberg also insists “the Minuteman project has created a powder-keg situation with the potential to go beyond harassment and false imprisonment to real violence.� No, the Minutemen are trying to stop a “powder-keg� situation. More than just Mexicans can cross the border. And the fewer Mohammad Attas we have in the United States, the better off we are. But then, I guess that would explain the ACLU’s position.

--------------------------

Dustin Hawkins is a freelance writer living in the Nashville, Tennessee area. He can be contacted by email at dustinmhawkins@yahoo.com or though his website at www.dustinmhawkins.com.