Arizona Immigration Law Could Have Impact in Arkansas
Reported by: Pete Thompson, KARK 4 News
Wednesday, Apr 28, 2010 @06:52pm CDT

Right now, the group Secure Arkansas wants to put a measure on the ballot that would limit public benefits to illegal immigrants.

It would also require state agencies to track all benefits paid out to them.

The group needs 75,000 signatures by July 2nd, so far they have 25,000.

"We're overwhelmed with people to take care of because we're not enforcing our immigration laws," says Jeannie Burlesworth with Secure Arkansas.

Burlesworth says this all part of an effort to enforce federal immigration laws that are already in place, but generally ignored.

Her hope is that this measure, if passed, could lead to a more stringent law, similar to Arizona's.

She says she would like to see legislation passed that would require police to question people about their immigration status, if they appear to be suspicious.

"It's not fair for a lot of people... I think it's going to make a lot of people uncomfortable," says Saul Gutierrus, manager of a market on Geyer Springs.

Gutierrus says many people in the community have discussed the new Arizona law...and are concerned about civil rights violations.

We asked Burlesworth about her reaction to those concerns.

“I think that's wrong... that's just outrageous, just outrageous.... it makes mad when they place a racecard in a situation where it doesn't need to be played."

Gutierrus says if Arkansas passes a similar law... it will upset Hispanics already entrenched in the community.

"They have lives, they're not going to be comfortable... I think it's going to make tourism go down," he says.

http://arkansasmatters.com/content/news ... cid=310142