Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Ark. gov.:When it comes to immigration, 'illegal means illeg

Ark. gov.: When it comes to immigration, 'illegal means illegal'

Thursday, October 25, 2007 3:46 PM CDT

CONWAY, Ark. - Gov. Mike Beebe says the Hispanic community has a "disconnect" when it comes to the subject of illegal immigration.

Beebe told an audience at the University of Central Arkansas that while he doesn't want to paint Hispanics with a wide brush, "one of the things that the Hispanic community has, in effect, a disconnect with, with the non-Hispanic community, is the whole issue of 'illegal.'"

The governor said, "If it is illegal, it means it's illegal."

Beebe fielded questions at a public forum on campus Wednesday when a student, Manny Sepulveda, mentioned federal legislation that would put the children of illegal immigrants on a path toward citizenship if they came to the U.S. before turning 16 and plan to attend college or join the military. The bill failed in a test vote in the Senate on Wednesday.

Sepulveda asked what Beebe was doing for students in Arkansas who want to attend college but may not be in the country legally.

"What are we doing on the state level? Absolutely nothing, because it would violate federal law, or at least it would open the state up to paying moneys that we could never afford with regard to illegal immigrants," Beebe said.

Beebe's predecessor, Mike Huckabee, supported legislation in 2005 that would provide college scholarships and in-state tuition rates to the children of illegal immigrants.

Then state attorney general, Beebe told the Legislature that the proposal might conflict with federal law that requires equal treatment and opportunity for American citizens. The bill passed in the House but fell short of approval in the Senate.

Beebe said he took an oath as governor to uphold the constitution and the laws. "And that will guide me," he said.

Sepulveda, an officer with the Latinos United organization at UCA, said later that he was disappointed with Beebe's answer.

"He ducked the question of what can be done. (He said) what he won't do, instead of saying, 'I can't do this because of my belief, but this is what I can do,'" he said.

A service of the Associated Press(AP)

http://www.pbcommercial.com/articles/20 ... gfca00.txt

Senior Member ourcountrynottheirs's Avatar
    "He ducked the question of what can be done. (He said) what he won't do, instead of saying, 'I can't do this because of my belief, but this is what I can do,'" he said.
    I believe he did answer the question Mr.Sepulveda.

"What are we doing on the state level? Absolutely nothing, because it would violate federal law, or at least it would open the state up to paying moneys that we could never afford with regard to illegal immigrants," Beebe said.
    People who have entered this country illegally are not entitled to an education. Why don't illegal aliens understand that?

Beebe's predecessor, Mike Huckabee, supported legislation in 2005 that would provide college scholarships and in-state tuition rates to the children of illegal immigrants.
    Gotta love Beebe, I hope Arkansans appreciate their governor.

Sepulveda, an officer with the Latinos United organization at UCA, said later that he was disappointed with Beebe's answer.

Huh? he answered the question moron he just didn't answer it the way you and your raza want him to. I never knew so many delusional, ethnocentric people existed in the world, yet they call us xenophobes.
    It's Time to Rescind the 14th Amendment

To Bad for you Sepulveda...Go Sugar Bears...and Governor....Hahahahaha
    Never look at another flag. Remember, that behind Government, there is your country, and that you belong to her as you do belong to your own mother. Stand by her as you would stand by your own mother

The bill failed in a test vote in the Senate on Wednesday.
    LMAO! "Test Vote" ROTF............ LMOAM............ Ahhhhhhhh! Hahahahahaha

There's more Nays for the Dreamies!!!!!!

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

He probably wouldn't like that answer. It probably would have been, "I'll give you a ride to ICE or the border so you can go back home, which would you prefer."
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie
    The bill failed in a test vote in the Senate on Wednesday.
    LMAO! "Test Vote" ROTF............ LMOAM............ Ahhhhhhhh! Hahahahahaha

There's more Nays for the Dreamies!!!!!!

Dixie

So voting for clocture is a test vote ?? It was a NO vote for this sham of an Amnesty you fool!

SOSAD
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Banned
    Related stuff:
    Beebe: When It Comes To Immigration, 'Illegal Means Illegal'
    http://www.todaysthv.com/news/news.aspx?storyid=55267

Gov. Mike Beebe told a college audience that he is limited by the law in actions he can take for the children of illegal immigrants.

Beebe spoke at the University of Central Arkansas Wednesday, where he was asked by a student about a bill in Congress that would help children of some illegal immigrants toward citizenship.

Beebe responded that the U.S. Constitution requires equal treatment and opportunity for American citizens, so he can't favor non-citizens. He also said that he believes the Hispanic community has a "disconnect" when it comes to the subject of illegal immigration. In Beebe's words: "If it is illegal, it means it's illegal."

The bill in Congress would help children of illegal immigrants toward citizenship if they arrived before age 16 and were planning to enter college or join the military.

Beebe says it would be illegal for him to act on the provisions in the bill because the measure is not law.

The bill failed in a test vote in the Senate Wednesday.
    (Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
    Monika Rued, Online Content Supervisor