Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar

Arpaio for governor? Sheriff says 'Never say never'

Arpaio for governor? Sheriff says 'Never say never'
    Reported by: Dave Biscobing
    Email: dbiscobing@abc15.com
    Last Update: 7:20 pm

Arpaio for governor? Polls say he has the support

PHOENIX - Sheriff Joe Arpaio rarely keeps a low profile.

Never afraid of attention or controversy and always outspoken, he leaves little unsaid. And that includes a race for governor.

"There's an old saying in politics: Never say never," Arpaio said. "I know I would make an excellent governor."

Arpaio has not officially announced his candidacy, and he never may. But in recent weeks, he's teased and hinted. It's not the first time.

"Twice I've looked into it and had press conferences," Arpaio said.

If there are opinions that a county sheriff couldn't climb to the state's top spot, political experts say think again.

Arpaio is a political force. And everyone knows it.

"The sheriff is very popular," said pollster Bruce Merrill.

Merrill works for Arizona State University. He said anyway you cut it, Arpaio's numbers are strong.

"His (approval rating) is 65 percent positive, and thats about as good as it gets for most candidates," Merrill said

A poll came out this week that measured several state official's approval ratings.

Arpaio easily beat several other possible Republican candidates, and the only person who fared better was Democrat Terry Goddard at more than 70 percent approval.

At this point, other recent polls show Goddard wins big against any Republican.

But the Attorney General's name hasn't been tested against Arpaio.

"I have seen candidates like (Apraio) written off before, you have to be careful when you do that," Merrill said.

Arpaio is known largely as a one-issue candidate, focusing on immigration. But in politics, where the right topic and name recognition matter, one issue can be all it takes.

"I don't want to sound egotistical, but I know I can win," Arpaio said.

So will the Sheriff run? He said he's keeping his options open. And if he were to decide it would be by May.

If he doesn't, it's not because of a lack of confidence.

And either way, Arpaio will still likely be a factor. His staff said four candidates have already visited his office about an endorsement.

"I'm America's toughest sheriff," Apraio said. "It might take me two or three years to make me America's toughest governor."

http://www.abc15.com/content/news/phoen ... lSIRg.cspx
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

April
    And either way, Arpaio will still likely be a factor. His staff said four candidates have already visited his office about an endorsement.

"I'm America's toughest sheriff," Apraio said. "It might take me two or three years to make me America's toughest governor
    GOOOOOOOOOOOOO JOE!!!!

GO Sheriff Joe! He'd make a great Governor.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn