Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar

Arpaio responds to immigration raid criticism

Arpaio responds to immigration raid criticism
    February 11th, 2009 @ 6:55pm
    by Jim Cross, Sandra Haros/KTAR

Maricopa County Sheriff's deputies arrested 60 illegal immigrants during a raid on a south Phoenix business Wednesday, the culmination of a four-month investigation.

Armed with a search warrant for 67 people - many accused of identity theft - Sheriff's deputies searched the premises of H.M.I. Contracting, Handyman Maintenance Incorporated, near 19th Avenue and Lower Buckeye.

The company was contracted to provide landscaping services for Maricopa County.

Lydia Guzman, a Latino activist, says she believes civil rights were violated.

"Many of them were not on the warrant that was issued, yet they were questioned for their status," Guzman said. "They were questioned to produce identification. I believe they were questioned because of the color of their skin or their accents.

Guzman said Sheriff's deputies acted unprofessionally during the raid.

"Some of [the workers] were actually physically assaulted, they were pushed. Others experienced verbal assaults by the Sheriff's deputies.

"We're talking about landscapers, we're not talking about terrorists. Going in there with masks and guns the way that he did is something out of the ordinary; it's something that shouldn't take place in a country like ours. This is something like Al Qaida."

Sheriff Joe Arpaio responded to Guzman's allegations at a press conference Wednesday afternoon.

"We have no information about violence," Arpaio said. "You're always talking about the same demonstrators, the same critics [who] show up every time we do this, with their same false allegations.

"When you go into a premise with 109 people, and you know you have 67 criminals - felons, class four felons [who] cannot even make bond, they have to stay in jail - I think I'm going to make sure our deputies are protected, and the people inside the premises are protected."

Sheriff Arpaio cited the economy in talking about the importance of enforcing immigration laws.

"People are being laid off," Arpaio said. "They need to find jobs to raise their families. And here we have the county, paying $19 an hour through this company to pay illegals to do jobs around county facilites. That's not right. It's taking jobs away from U.S. citizens."

Adrian Lopez has worked for the company for eight years. He said deputies moved in and told employees not to use cell phones before dozens of co-workers were taken away in cuffs. "Nothing happened before. This is the first time."

The company has a multi-million dollar contract approved by the Board of Supervisors to provide landscaping services to several county buildings.

The raid came two days after the supervisors huddled to discuss the sheriff's decision to put all illegal immigrant inmates in a special area at the Tent City Jail. One supervisor, Mary Rose Wilcox, has called for a U.S. Justice Department investigation of that action.

Immigrants rights activist Elias Bermudez said Wednesday's raid was "payback" for the supervisors' questioning the sheriff's jail segregation.

"It's payback. He uses his authority for reprisals. This is what he does with his power, his authority," said Bermudez.

He added, "To us, it is not only painful. It angers us. He's committing violence against us. Does he want us to commit violence against him, is that what he's asking for? "

http://news.ktar.com/?nid=6&sid=1042657
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

iT SHOWS THE IGNORANCE OF THESE PEOPLE. ILLEGAL IS ILLEGAL, LANDSCAPER OR TERRORIST. ALOT OF THEM TERRORIZE AMERICAN CITIZENS AND OUR CHILDREN. THEY DON'T BELONG HERE PERIOD.

"People are being laid off," Arpaio said. "They need to find jobs to raise their families. And here we have the county, paying $19 an hour through this company to pay illegals to do jobs around county facilites. That's not right. It's taking jobs away from U.S. citizens."
    You ROCK Joe. Doing the job American Politicians WON'T do. I'm going to email him again to keep up the GREAT work.

Adrian Lopez has worked for the company for eight years. He said deputies moved in and told employees not to use cell phones before dozens of co-workers were taken away in cuffs. "Nothing happened before. This is the first time."
    "Nothing happened before. This is the first time." Therein lies the problem! "Nothing" was ever done "before" about this gross violation of immigration and labor laws! No more!

Thanks Joe!!!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

He's committing violence against us. Does he want us to commit violence against him, is that what he's asking for? "
    Go ahead, make his day.

The raid came two days after the supervisors huddled to discuss the sheriff's decision to put all illegal immigrant inmates in a special area at the Tent City Jail. One supervisor, Mary Rose Wilcox, has called for a U.S. Justice Department investigation of that action.

Immigrants rights activist Elias Bermudez said Wednesday's raid was "payback" for the supervisors' questioning the sheriff's jail segregation.

LOL....I KNEW that was coming

As if the Sheriff's Dept. could put an identity theft and illegal employment case together over a span of two days just to "retaliate" against Wilcox and her pro-illegal sidekicks.

These things take months

Maybe law enforcement should do an in-depth investigation into what part Wilcox plays in this illegal alien-employing business.... which has repeatedly been awarded lucrative contracts by the County Supervisors to the exclusion of lawful companies and American citizens.

"It's payback. He uses his authority for reprisals. This is what he does with his power, his authority," said Bermudez.

Think again Elias. Or better yet, just shut up before you continue making an ass out of yourself

We have a friend who has owned a landscaping business out here for over 30 years now and according to him, this raid "may have" had everything to do with honest businessmen.....fed up with being locked out of a fair shake at certain contracts and the ability to find work altogether.....banding together and making complaints.

Count on seeing way more of this kind of thing Bermudez......America has had ENOUGH
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

He added, "To us, it is not only painful. It angers us. He's committing violence against us. Does he want us to commit violence against him, is that what he's asking for? "

Sounds like a threat to me! This <self-edited> needs to be run out of this nation on a rail.

I called the sheriff's office---

I called the sheriff's office---and left a message with the receptionist about how much I appreciate Joe's efforts on behalf of all Americans and said I was sure there are thousands like me around the country.
    I live in Georgia.
    Why don't you all call or email and restate your admiration for one of the true patriots in this country.

God bless Sheriff Joe, may he live long and continue to do well!!!!

If you would like to write to the Sheriff or any of the commanders here, our address is:

100 West Washington
    Suite 1900
    Phoenix, AZ 85003
    Sheriff Arpaio: (602) 876-1801
    Chiefs and Commanders: (602) 876-1801

i called and left a comment.
    and i asked how come bermudez hasnt been arrested and charged with threatening a peace office and inciting potential violence with this statement at the end of the article above