Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Atlanta businesses feel the loss of illegal immigrants

Businesses feel the loss of illegal immigrants

By Mary Lou Pickel
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 11/09/07

Chris Campos sells machines that count dollar bills.

Hispanic businesses that deal with cash customers are good prospects for Campos, but he's had to change his business model as a result of the state's crackdown on illegal immigration.

"The market is in a state of flux," Campos said. "We focus on grocery stores. They wonder, 'Am I going to be in business next year, because all my customers are gone?' They don't want to invest in new technology."

Such are the unintended consequences of Senate Bill 529, a new state law that requires —- among other things —- that jailers alert federal immigration agents to any suspected illegal immigrants booked on felony or DUI charges.

During a talk at the National Association of Convenience Stores convention Thursday at the Georgia World Congress Center, Atlanta attorney Kazuma Sonoda said restaurant business is down, too.

Restaurant owners along Buford Highway and in the Jimmy Carter Boulevard area say they've seen a 50 percent decline in weekend traffic, Sonoda said.

That's because more illegal immigrants are afraid to leave their homes and drive if it's not an essential trip. They fear being stopped by the police for traffic violations.

Many have been apprehended in Cobb County, where the sheriff has entered into an agreement with the federal government to enforce immigration laws. Cobb's jail now has 500 people facing deportation.
    http://www.ajc.com/business/content/pri ... z1109.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Restaurant owners along Buford Highway and in the Jimmy Carter Boulevard area say they've seen a 50 percent decline in weekend traffic, Sonoda said.

Casual dining is in decline across the nation due to higher gas & food prices, plus the decling value of your dollar (paycheck).

Call yr Congressman and ask him to cosponsor the Save Act. It was just introduced this week HR 4088. It forces all companies to verify every social security number.

Businesses who depend on Illegal Aliens to survive should close up.It is a fitting demise since I consider their businesses Aiding & Abetting People who have NO RIGHT to be here !

We have got to stop the invasion NOW !
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want,is strong enough to take everything you have"* Thomas Jefferson

I have a product for any business that wants to deal only with illegal aliens:
    I freed thousands of slaves; I could have freed more if they knew they were slaves.
    --Harriet Tubman

I believe he can sell legally to them in Mexico, there are many companies that are here and export.

As far as the restuarants, since as I remember many of their workers are illegal (one of the high growth areas for illegals), it sounds like this growth is directly related to the illegal population. They buy it, they work in it. And this is good because? Why should we pay the bills for this? These are businesses that do not pay good wages, do not provide benefits. Thats why highschool kids, college kids, used to do this work.

With the current drought they are experiencing in the Atlanta area I would say fewer illegals is GOOD news.

Out with old and illegal and in with the new and legal I say. If your business was held together by giving service to illegals you gambled and lost.

Darn, I need a tissue paper ....sniff sniff
    Never look at another flag. Remember, that behind Government, there is your country, and that you belong to her as you do belong to your own mother. Stand by her as you would stand by your own mother

I believe he can sell legally to them in Mexico, there are many companies that are here and export.

As far as the restuarants, since as I remember many of their workers are illegal (one of the high growth areas for illegals), it sounds like this growth is directly related to the illegal population. They buy it, they work in it. And this is good because? Why should we pay the bills for this? These are businesses that do not pay good wages, do not provide benefits. Thats why highschool kids, college kids, used to do this work.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffdid
    Out with old and illegal and in with the new and legal I say. If your business was held together by giving service to illegals you gambled and lost.

We've all made bad business or investment decisions. If a business was created that was dependent on illegal immigrants the risk should have been part of the equation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast