Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Attacks on Mexican ranchers kill 17

Published Monday May 5, 2008
    Attacks on Mexican ranchers kill 17
    By NATALIA PARRA Associated Press Writer
    The Associated Press
    http://omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1000&u_sid=10233012

ACAPULCO, Mexico (AP) - A prominent cattle rancher hid Monday from gunmen who killed two of his sons and kidnapped his daughter in weekend attacks that left 17 people dead in southern Mexico, relatives and authorities said.

Men with assault rifles forced victims into a line and sprayed them with bullets Sunday at Rogaciano Alba's ranch in Petatlan, a town in southern Guerrero state, investigators said. Five people were killed and five others died at a hospital, State Attorney General Eduardo Murueta said Monday.

Alba, a former town mayor and president of Guerrero's cattle ranching union, was not at the ranch during the attack. Relatives said he has since gone into hiding.

"They were coming for my cousin Rogaciano, and since they didn't find him, they took it out on his sons and workers," said one of the rancher's cousins, who spoke on condition of anonymity because she feared for her life. "They hit him where it hurts the most."

Alba's sons Alejandro and Rusbel were among those killed, attorney general Murueta said. Gunmen also kidnapped his 18-year-old daughter, Ana Karen, whose whereabouts were unknown.

Six other ranchers were killed and five wounded on Saturday as they returned to their hotel from a union meeting led by Alba in the city of Iguala. Six were killed at the scene and a seventh died at a hospital, Murueta said.

Police have not made any arrests or determined a motive for the attacks.

Alba was investigated in 2002 for allegedly ordering the killing of Digna Ochoa, a human rights attorney who represented Zapatista guerrilla sympathizers and anti-logging activists in Guerrero.
    If your ILLEGAL...get out of my country...get out of my state...get out of my community...get out of my face!...otherwise, have a nice day!
    http://nebraskaobserver.wordpress.com/

No one benefits from transverse feuds but the gun dealers.
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Why would you even consider opening borders or giving amnesty to the possibility of the likes of people like this here?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by crazybird
    Why would you even consider opening borders or giving amnesty to the possibility of the likes of people like this here?

That's what I'd like to know too. I know the USA isn't perfect when it comes to crime but what country is. Yet when this is what is right across the border waiting for us when the borders open wide imagine what the impact will be then to innocent citizens.