Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Avon Park defeats illegal immigration ordinance

AVON PARK - A battle over illegal immigration is over in Avon Park.

Last Edited: Monday, 24 Jul 2006, 11:23 PM EDT
    Created: Monday, 24 Jul 2006, 12:36 PM EDT

After listening to the hundreds of people who showed up for a public hearing on a proposed new ordinance Monday night, city leaders voted it down.

The Mayor of the town in Highlands County wanted to make English the official language.

His idea would have also banned businesses from hiring illegal immigrants and even prohibited landlords from renting to illegals.

The ordinance passed on first reading by a three-to-two margin, but on second reading, some city council members changed their minds.

Some worried aloud about the amount of attention the ordinance debate was bringing to the small town, and they were worried about potential lawsuits that might follow if they passed it.

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/myfox/page ... geId=1.1.1
    [b]Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.
    - Arnold J. Toynbee

It is okay , tomorrow will be another day .
    The most important - it is started !
    In reality , it is only after May 1 demonstration when people really started going strong on the illegals - so it is about 3 months only and the movement in the country is picking up every day - those people , I thought they ' d tear the mayor apart - they were so angry and he did not have enough of support - scary .
    I hope he will be all right .
    " Do not compromise yourself . You are all you've got ." -Janice Joplin .

I Agree hope! Just getting our feet wet. It took a lot of courage for the Mayor to stand up like he did. I have a feeling this issue will be back before them soon.

After listening to the hundreds of people who showed up for a public hearing on a proposed new ordinance Monday night, city leaders voted it down.
    The ordinance passed on first reading by a three-to-two margin, but on second reading, some city council members changed their minds.

Some worried aloud about the amount of attention the ordinance debate was bringing to the small town, and they were worried about potential lawsuits that might follow if they passed it.
    I'm a little unclear as to what the reason was for the vote change?
    [b]Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.
    - Arnold J. Toynbee

Don't worry, America !! You can't expect TOO MUCH out of Florida.

But still the mayor deserves our support, appreciation and a pat on the back.

P.S. Let us not forget who is still the governor of this state and who has Mel Martinez for a senator. Rest ASSURED that the illegal aliens were far more empowered here in Florida than they are in other states.

Work hard America or you will enjoy the status of being ranked like number 49 in education in the country as Florida is, AND have a state where they suggest you not have a family unless you have a 6 digit income due to the cost of housing due to more people than available affordable housing. Last, but not least as you see first hand, when illegal immigration is as far out of control in your state as it is in this state, you will have people who are not even United States citizens dictating the laws TO YOU !!

Unless you work HARD, YOUR STATE WILL BE LIKE FLORIDA, often referred to as the Banana Republic !!

P.S.S. The illegal aliens have two good destinations now. New York and Avon Park Florida !!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

when you do not understand something - you need to go in the direction of money - then you will get all the answers - lol
    A lot of business would be lost , people will be unprotected from the law-suits and labeled as racists and haters - without at least a little back up by laws - this is much too difficult .
    You think the laws are on our side - no, they are on the illegals side and they've learned for the last 20 years how to manipulate them better than us , sorry

We need to start filing some lawsuits of our own
    Equal rights for all, special privileges for none. Thomas Jefferson

Altura's
    I Agree hope! Just getting our feet wet. It took a lot of courage for the Mayor to stand up like he did. I have a feeling this issue will be back before them soon.
    Amen, Altura. I believe that you are right about that. I do not think it's over. There are still a few U.S. citizens marching around here and a few U.S. flags......although quickly being outnumbered by the Brazilian flag.

I presume that brings great happiness to Mel Martinez and Jeb. It must be fiesta time for those two tonight. :P
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

MW
    It's called no ba##s! The town has a population of 9,000 - where were the anti-illegal advocates? If there were only 1-2 hundred show up against the ordinance, where were the other 8,800 citizens?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by MW
    It's called no ba##s! The town has a population of 9,000 - where were the anti-illegal advocates? If there were only 1-2 hundred show up against the ordinance, where were the other 8,800 citizens?

Legal just explained - the Senator is Mel Martinez / a Cuban smugler / and the governor is Jeb Bush - who has a Mexican wife .
    Even if the Mayor did not give up his position - these are two very influential people in Florida , so I think there was a lot of pressure on everybody fom the local and Federal? Govn- to lose jobs , money etc