Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Awful Congressman criticizes AZ Governor

http://www.kpho.com/Global/story.asp?S=4425749&nav=23Ku

Grijalva criticizes governor's approach to illegal immigration

YUMA, Ariz. Democratic U-S Representative Raul Grijalva (gree-HAHL'-vuh) of Arizona has criticized Governor Janet Napolitano's steps to crack down on illegal immigration, saying her border plans are an insult to Mexican-Americans.

The governor has taken steps for state authorities to confront Arizona's immigration problems and has proposed a 100 (m) million dollar plan that includes new state police squads focused on border security and millions of dollars for communities to tackle border-related woes.

The governor also is asking the military to pay for stationing an unspecified number of National Guard troops at Arizona-Mexico border.

The congressman's criticism first appeared in an article in Bajo El Sol, the Spanish language weekly sister publication of The Sun in Yuma.

Grijalva told The Sun that the governor's plan needs to be more not inclusive.

Napolitano spokeswoman Pati Urias says the governor consults with a number of people, including Latinos in Phoenix and border communities, when shaping immigration policy.

Copyright 2006 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

"Grijalva told The Sun that the governor's plan needs to be more not inclusive."

What the *#%^ is that supposed to mean?
    Illegal aliens remain exempt from American laws, while they DEMAND American rights...

More from the babbling fool from the Sunday AZ Daily Star...

Star: Gov. Janet Napolitano has proposed spending a lot of money on borders.
    Grijalva: If she gets it from the feds.
    Star: Well, she's proposing spending some state money, too.
    Grijalva: I was really disappointed in that. I was disappointed in that we have a mantra to talk about comprehensive immigration reform.
    I think when the governor talked about and emphasized just one tier — which she did with $100 million and put the troops on the border — she took a little bit of the wind out of the comprehensive immigration reform.
    And I don't think politically the issue of immigration is so vexing that you can't slip something under the door.
    Star: Like what?
    Grijalva: Like enforcement only. While politically it's expedient and potentially very smart, the implication is, this is going to solve the problem. It's not. I like the governor. I think she's great, but it took serious wind out of the discussion here in Arizona about comprehensive reform as opposed to single-issue reform.
    Star: What about the governor's frustration with the lack of movement on the federal level?
    Grijalva: She could have done it well politically. ... As far as militarizing the border, while it's expedient, it's not the solution. That's my point.
    We're going to be promoting this corresponding piece of legislation. We are going to be proposing, with other border state congressmen, independent of our differences on this, a border infrastructure development agenda.
    What do we do about health care on that border? What do we do about clean air and water? What do we do about sewage? What do we do about transportation? What do we do about ports of entry, so that we're secure about who comes in and out and yet the commerce and economics of this region aren't suffering?

Again I ask, what the *#^! is he talking about!I'm a comprehensive-reform person. I think short-term, expedient solutions aren't going to save it, and the long-term solution is generational. It's about economic development, that is sustainable in those countries from which people are coming.
    Star: When you talk about short-term vs. long-term, have we waited too long now?
    Grijalva: What we're doing right now on immigration reform is an appeasement. We're buying time to do something fundamental later. We're uncorking the crisis. Are we solving it? No.
    But you do have to uncork the crisis. It's the best possible appeasement to uncork this issue, take some pressure off, give us a deep breath and then move on to what we need to do, which I think is generational.
    Star: But you disagree with the governor's perspective of doing something now.
    Grijalva: I thought that was an appeasement and I said that to her.
    Star: Does everything start to look as appeasement after a while though? I mean, in business, you'd sit back and say, do something now, because the risk of doing nothing is more troublesome to those people.
    Grijalva: I think it was a wonderful political move on the part of the governor. A wonderful political move. And if I hadn't had positions and believed in positions prior to that, I'd say OK. ....
    My criticism is a criticism of trying to force the feds to do something. I thought there was a better mechanism for Southwestern governors to put pressure on us (Congress). ... I thought the threat was more important than the commitment, and I think the governor made that commitment too soon. ...
    The governor still supports comprehensive reform, but had to go in this direction, and my criticism is that it was too soon, premature and should have pushed the other aspects before we went to that direction.
    Star: I'm just curious because you kept talking about appeasement. ... I'm trying to understand exactly where you're coming from, but it seems to be all the same: politics.
    Grijalva: Immigration has become political. It hasn't become pragmatic or practical.
    Star: It's a multi-layer approach?
    Grijalva: It's a tiered thing. And if the first emphasis is enforcement, OK, let's deal with it. And that's all we ask from that debate. When is the other stuff coming? And that's what the Senate is asking.
    (Rep. F. James) Sensenbrenner's (R-Wis.) bill is going nowhere in the Senate, simply because they want comprehensive and they want to tier it in. The tier will be enforcement security first, probably guest worker second and then some path to legalization third.
    I'm willing to accept that, and it's a step in the right direction, but if you don't have those commitments that is going to be the sequence, or at the very minimum the discussion point, then all you're buying is security.
    Star: So going back to the beginning of our discussion, where we were talking about corruption, the role of lobbyists in the whole scheme of things, and then you're talking about with immigration. Is there a lack of lobbyists on this issue?
    Grijalva: There's a lack of lobbyists in that, OK? We have the (U.S.) Chamber of Commerce that agrees with the McCain/Kennedy comprehensive bill.
    We have the Chamber of Commerce and Farm Bureau that agree with the Ag-Jobs bill. Restaurant association, home builders agree because of their dependency on that labor force. Yet, they have not been willing to take the political risks to push it.
    Star: And that's what it is? In your view, it's political risk?
    Grijalva: Yeah, absolutely. Because there are other agenda items they have in Congress that they don't want to insult Sensenbrenner or some powerful chairman of some committee. But my point being, they've all signed on. When you get the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, farm workers and unions to agree to a piece of legislation (McCain-Kennedy), that's historic. And it passes the Senate and it won't even get a hearing in the House. Amazing.

http://www.azstarnet.com/allheadlines/113338
    Illegal aliens remain exempt from American laws, while they DEMAND American rights...

Again I ask, what the *#^! is he talking about.

This comment was supposed to come at the end, from me, not in the middle of the text. Sorry.

More new comments from this *%#@...

http://www.kvoa.com/global/story.asp?s= ... =Printable

Grijalva criticizes governor's approach to illegal immigration
    Jan 30, 2006, 07:14 AM MST
    Democratic U.S. Rep. Raul Grijalva of Arizona has criticized Gov. Janet Napolitano's steps to crack down on illegal immigration, saying her border plans are an insult to Mexican-Americans.

The governor has taken steps for state authorities to confront Arizona's immigration problems and has proposed a $100 million plan that includes new state police squads focused on border security and millions of dollars for communities to tackle border-related woes.

The governor also is asking the military to pay for stationing an unspecified number of National Guard troops at Arizona-Mexico border. The state already has about 170 National Guard troops stationed at the border to assist federal and state officers.

Public pressure is mounting for state politicians who face re-election races this year to confront the problem. Arizona is the busiest illegal entry point along the U.S.-Mexico border.

Grijalva said Napolitano's new immigration policy is an insult to Mexican-Americans and that "Anglo-Saxon men make the strategy for her," according to an article in Bajo El Sol, the Spanish language weekly sister publication of The Sun in Yuma.

In response to The Sun's questions about his criticism, Grijalva said: "I'm not saying the governor's policy is racist or jaded. All I'm saying is that it is not inclusive, and it should have included more people."

Napolitano spokeswoman Pati Urias said the governor consults with a number of people, including Latinos in Phoenix and border communities, when shaping immigration policy.

Marco Lopez, the former mayor of Nogales who now serves as executive director of the Arizona-Mexico Commission, is one of the governor's advisers on immigration and border issues.

Urias said Grijalva's criticism hasn't created a rift between the two Democrats.

Yuma County Republican Vice Chairman David Lara said the congressman's "Anglo-Saxon" reference was racist and that Grijalva should apologize.

Grijalva said his remark wasn't racist, nor was he being critical of Napolitano.

He said he was disappointed in Napolitano's immigration policy and that her enforcement-only approach to the problem "took the wind out of the sail of comprehensive reform."

Grijalva said he supports enforcement of immigration laws but not an "enforcement-only approach."

"You've got to have more than that," Grijalva said.

This man is totally off his rocker. He makes no sence.

Please comment on what you see and think about sending him what you think of him like I do.