Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Axelrod says Congress should set immigration reform in motio

The Hill
    Axelrod says Congress should set immigration reform in motion this year
    By Michael O'Brien - 04/30/10 07:24 AM ET

Immigration reform legislation should at least be set in motion this year, White House senior adviser David Axelrod said Friday.

Axelrod said that the administration views bipartisanship as essential to forging immigration legislation, and that the White House would welcome a bill this year if Congress can manage it.

"I think that that's a function of whether that coalition comes together," Axelrod said of the prospects for reform this year during an appearance on ABC. "Certainly that process should be in motion this year, and if we can get it done this year, we should get it done this year."

A group of Democratic senators unveiled their outline for immigration reform on Thursday at the Capitol, a plan that would emphasize securing the borders, and then providing illegal immigrants a path to citizenship.

House leaders have said any bill must start in the Senate, and Democratic leaders said Thursday that they were optimistic about their legislation's chances this year, even though House Minority Leader John Boehner (R-Ohio) warned there was "not a chance" Congress would pass immigration reform in 2010.

The president himself on Wednesday evening questioned whether lawmakers had the appetite to move ahead on immigration reform.

"Obviously this will require bipartisan support," Axelrod said on "Good Morning America" Friday. "This is not something you can move on a partisan basis through Congress."

Axelrod acknowledged, though, that the fervor for reform had grown in part out of the tough new immigration law in Arizona, which cracks down on illegal immigrants.

The senior adviser acknowledged that the Department of Justice is looking at potential federal responses to that state law, though Axelrod did not elaborate.

"The Department of Justice is reviewing this matter now and we'll see what they conclude," he said.

Source:
    http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing- ... ar-axelrod
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

How long before Axelrod is looking for a new job? C'mon Democrats, let him know what you think. Just in looking at comments on the Huffington Post, I know the tide has turned. I get their emailing too, I'll let them know, since my call to the WH comment line didn't go through.
    "Men of low degree are vanity, Men of high degree are a lie. " David
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by Captainron
    How long before Axelrod is looking for a new job? C'mon Democrats, let him know what you think. Just in looking at comments on the Huffington Post, I know the tide has turned. I get their emailing too, I'll let them know, since my call to the WH comment line didn't go through.
    CR, what's the general gist of the Huff Po comments, i.e., pro or anti Schumer's amnesty scheme?

"The Department of Justice is reviewing this matter now and we'll see what they conclude," he said.
    "But we will conveniently ignore voter intimidation in Philly."

Guess Justice isn't (color)blind.
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow