63 undocumented immigrants arrested in AZ within 24 hours
Reported by: Katrina Wessman
Email: kwessman@abc15.com
Last Update: 5/20 5:53 pm

(Marnie McKim) As of Tuesday, officials arrested 63 undocumented immigrants within a 24-hour time period just two days after the Arizona governor cut funding for efforts to enforce the laws against undocumented immigration.

Janet Napolitano cut the funding which sparked debate between Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio.

Human Smuggling Detectives conducted several investigations throughout the county.

Detectives stopped a vehicle near Interstate 17 and Table Mesa Road on Monday night.

The traffic stop uncovered 14 undocumented immigrants and one smuggler, 33-year-old Melo Porfirio-Bautista.

Deputies conducted another traffic stopped about 20 minutes later near Wickenburg.

Officials discovered three adults inside the vehicle who were in the United States illegally.

Five minutes later, another stop was made near Wickenburg.

Investigation by Sheriff's deputies determined that all eight people inside the vehicle were in the United States illegally.

The Sheriff's Human Smuggling Unit responded to assist with a shooting investigation two hours later in Queen Creek.

Detectives found 15 individuals inside the home and 13 of them were undocumented immigrants.

Another traffic stop near Wickenburg uncovered 14 undocumented immigrants.

"I want everyone to know that even with my funding being taken away by Governor Napolitano and the Arizona Department of Public Safety, my deputies will continue to enforce state and federal illegal immigration laws everywhere in Maricopa County," said Arpaio.

www.abc15.com