Arpaio seeks opinion on immigration authority
by Kevin Tripp
(October 22nd, 2009 @ 6:20am)
Comments:2

Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio is pursuing authority to enforce federal immigration laws.

"I'm asking the county attorney to give me an official opinion as to if local and state can get involved in federal enforcement," Arpaio said Wednesday.

The sheriff's action came within days after the Homeland Security Department stripped him of authority to arrest people on the street solely for violation of federal immigration laws. Arpaio's crime suppression sweeps over the past year have led to complaints of racial profiling, targeting Hispanics. The sheriff has denied that.

Arpaio maintains he still can stop suspected illegal immigrants under the state's human smuggling law. He also believes he still can enforce federal laws.

Thomas has been a close political ally of Arpaio, but the sheriff said that will have no bearing on his opinion.

"I'm sure he will be very objective and give the right opinion, no matter which way it goes," Arpaio said. "He has a lot of integrity. He's not going to give an opinion that I want. He's going to give an opinion based on law."

Thomas' office said he was not available for comment Wednesday.

http://ktar.com/index.php?nid=6&sid=1222906