Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

AZ: Controversial speaker Dolores Huerta stirs Sunnyside

Controversial speaker stirs Sunnyside

Posted: Mar 24, 2011 7:46 PM CDT
    Updated: Mar 24, 2011 8:08 PM CDT

Video Gallery
    Controversial speaker stirs Sunnyside
    2:34

Reporter: Jessica Chapin

TUCSON (KGUN9- TV) - A Sunnyside High School speaker sparked controversy for the second time Thursday. Dolores Huerta, an activist known for her outspoken views on immigrants' rights, gave a presentation to about 600 students.

It was during a similar assembly in 2006 when her words inflamed a nation-wide debate, leading toward recent ethnic studies controversies. Despite it, she's been invited back to speak each year.

"To hear someone like her, someone that's highly regarded and respected and sometimes a bit controversial, I think it's important for our students," said Sunnyside principal Raul Nido, "Is there risk-taking? Perhaps, but that's part of learning."

But the risk of controversy is something some teachers are also trying to avoid. One teacher contacted 9 On Your Side to say he didn't support Huerta's message and didn't find it appropriate for a school forum, but that he and at least three other teachers were afraid to speak their minds for fear of repercussion.

9 On Your Side reporter Jessica Chapin asked Nido about the accusation.

"It's the United States of America," he said, "everybody can voice their opinion and anybody else that has a different point of view they're certainly welcome to come on stage and present their view."

He added, "I would hope whoever that individual might have been would have the courage enough to attend and see and if he or she has a point of view. Let's listen to that view and why they have that view."

Teachers sending their students to the assembly was optional, as it is with every political or social speaker they present. Nido said he did not know of any teachers who were opting out because of the message. He said those who did not have their classes attend simply felt their coursework that day was a higher priority.

Art teacher Manny Salmeron says he makes it a point to take his classes to all of the assemblies to provide perspective, but he did not know of teachers who opted out solely based on the message.

"Teachers wanting to have their students stay on task with what they're learning," he said, "not because of what was being discussed but because of being outside of the classroom."

Huerta's discussion offered empowerment to Hispanic students as well as other minorities and women, along with emphasizing staying in school and becoming active in democracy.

She encouraged all students to attend an upcoming Cesar Chavez march on Saturday, and commented directly toward the Latinos in the audience, "We did not cross the border, the border crossed us."

It's those kinds of comments that put her at the forefront of political discussion in 2006. While some have said her message sparks anti-American sentiment in impressionable students, she says she's merely pointing out an historical truth, with a goal of uniting students of all races and ethnicities.

"This is one of my goals to try to give them a little information to make them curious," she said, "and to make them understand how important it is to know what's going on in the world."

High school senior Iez Espinoza pointed out the words that stuck with her. They were not words that were racially or politically charged.

"She started talking about how women don't have to wait for someone to come for them, they don't have to feel weak," said Espinoza, "I think it's really good for her to say that especially here at Sunnyside because we have so many girls here and I know it motivated me because it makes me feel like I'm a woman, I have power, fearless."

Nido says the school welcomes speakers from all viewpoints. He says while it may risk controversial feedback, it's all part of providing an education.

http://www.kgun9.com/global/story.asp?s=14318262

Nido says the school welcomes speakers from all viewpoints. He says while it may risk controversial feedback, it's all part of providing an education.
    Cool! So why don't you invite Sheriff Joe to speak?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

why do they always say we didn't cross the border , the border crossed us ....

why can't someone point out that in 1983 amnesty was given to everyone in this country ...

anyone after that CROSSED THE BORDER ....