Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar

AZ-Gordon: SPLC to discuss hate groups in Arizona

Non-profit to discuss hate groups in Arizona
    Center seeks to raise awareness on presence of growing dangers
    by Yvonne Wingett - Jul. 24, 2009 12:00 AM

Phoenix Mayor Phil Gordon is bringing a representative from the Southern Poverty Law Center to help raise awareness about the presence of the state's hate groups, the Nativist movement and White-supremacist organizations.

The Montgomery, Ala.-based non-profit organization identifies, monitors and investigates hate activity across the United States.

According to the center, the number of hate groups nationwide has risen 54 percent since 2000, fueled by opposition to non-White immigration, the economic recession and the election of the nation's first Black president.
    Heidi Beirich, the center's director of research, will meet with law-enforcement officials and the media Aug. 12-14.

The mayor also is planning some type of public forum to discuss hate groups, especially anti-immigration extremists.

No public money will be spent on the trip, said Scott Phelps, the mayor's spokesman.

Gordon believes that it is critical that news organizations understand how extremists operate to prevent their legitimization as mainstream voices in media reports.

"With the Internet, these groups are able to give themselves their own label of 'patriots,' or 'community activists,' " Gordon said. "And even the media has picked up on that and is using that label for the groups. The groups we're talking about are not community activists or patriots."

The trip has been in the works since last spring with the release of the center's report, "The Year In Hate." The report showed that the number of hate groups in the U.S. continued to rise, with a record 926 active hate groups last year, up more than 4 percent from 888 in 2007. Nineteen of those total groups were in Arizona. Those groups included anti-immigrant, White nationalist and neo-Nazi groups.

The center defines hate groups as those that have "beliefs or practices that attack or malign an entire class of people, typically for their immutable characteristics."

Arizona in general has been seen as a hotbed of anti-immigration vigilante activity because of its proximity to the border, Beirich said, while metro Phoenix has a considerable amount of skinhead and neo-Nazi activity.

Hate-group activity can include marches, rallies, speeches, meetings, the distribution of leaflets and acts of crime.

"Because Phoenix and the region is on the border, it's particularly important to talk about these things there," Beirich said, "and to raise more awareness about the dangers associated with hate groups and especially anti-immigration extremists."

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/ ... c0724.html
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

ELE

Stop favoring Illegals and La Raza over Americans.

Southern Poverty Law Center are illegal advocates and criminals.

If they want to stop the hate all they have to do is send all of the illegals back to their country of origin. Americans are tired of paying for illegals and their anchors especially when Americans are losing their jobs, homes and sovereignty.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

If they want to reduce hate, they should disband their group. They are the hate mongers and racists.

The Golden Gate Minutemen attended some of the hate group meetings here in Fremont.

Mostly from what I saw was the lawless patting themselves on the back how righteous they are. I suppose I sort of stood out when the mayor read out loud an email he had received by someone that thought the United States Constitution and the laws regarding immigration should be upheld. He was trying to make fun of them. I started clapping for the person's email and every eye in the room turned to me.

Still cracks me up. I don't know about the sound of one hand clapping but I do know the sound of two hands clapping can sound very good indeed! It turned out one of our members was the one that sent the email to him and she was there at the time.

The next meeting I missed. One of the Minutemen ladies was attacked by a lady preacher by trying to dump her out of her chair. The Minuteman lady was about 84 years old then if I remember right.

I never attended any more of their hate meetings. I'm not even sure if they held any more.