Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

AZ Hunger strike could lead to jail lockdownby

Hunger strike could lead to jail lockdown
    by Jim Cross/KTAR (May 18th, 2009 @ 5:59am) Policy >> Comments:1

Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio considered putting some of his jails under lockdown Monday because of an ongoing hunger strike by inmates.

The sheriff said most of the 1,100 inmates who refused to eat Sunday night are in the Fourth Avenue Jail in downtown Phoenix. He said it was likely that jail would be locked down Monday, along with the Lower Buckeye Jail and the Towers Jail.

The sheriff planned to decide Monday morning whether to put the inmates under 23-hour lockdown, with a loss of visitation and other privileges.

Arpaio said the hunger strike began on May 2, the same day that thousands of people marched in Phoenix in protest to the sheriff's immigration policies.

"It just looks like they're using food as a political hammer against me," Arpaio told News/Talk 92-3 KTAR's Jay Lawrence. "I'm talking about lawyers and activists."

He vowed that the hunger strike would not be successful.

"We have these guys in jails who are charged with murder, rape, and they don't like the food," said Arpaio. "Well, that's a little tough. I'm not going to give in. I won't change the menu."

He asked, "What am I running, the Hilton Hotel here? They're still getting food. They're getting ham and beans and broccoli. What do they want, t-bone steaks? They are going to eat our menu."

The sheriff said at least six inmates, who wanted to end the hunger strike, have been put in protective custody to prevent retaliation from fellow inmates who want to continue the strike.

http://ktar.com/?nid=6&sid=1161660
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"We have these guys in jails who are charged with murder, rape, and they don't like the food," said Arpaio. "Well, that's a little tough. I'm not going to give in. I won't change the menu."

He asked, "What am I running, the Hilton Hotel here? They're still getting food. They're getting ham and beans and broccoli. What do they want, t-bone steaks? They are going to eat our menu."
    STICK TO YOUR GUNS JOE, WE'RE BEHIND YOU...LOL! That's right they ARE in jail, but they are so used to dictating what they want they expect everyone to fall in line. Criminals meet Sheriff Joe... a REAL AMERICAN who isn't gonna hand you everything.

if they are not eating. then thats less money going out the door for food every day.