Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar

AZ-Illegal-imm populace in Az. falls by a third, study says

Illegal-immigrant populace in Ariz. falls by a third, study says
    by Daniel González - Jul. 30, 2009 12:00 AM

The number of illegal immigrants living in Arizona has plunged by one-third in the past two years amid a dismal job market and stiffer enforcement of immigration laws, according to researchers who released a new report.

Arizona saw the largest decline of any state, according to researchers at the Center for Immigration Studies, whose report shows that the nation's undocumented population fell nearly 14 percent from the summer of 2007 to the first quarter of this year, following years of steady growth.

The report comes as the Obama administration is gearing up to push for major immigration reforms, including a possible legalization program for millions of illegal immigrants in the U.S.
    The loss of illegal immigrants has had ramifications for the Arizona economy, with some saying the exodus means less of a drain on taxpayer services and others saying the loss has hurt businesses and tax revenue.

Last week, Chandler-based Bashas' Supermarkets closed three Food City stores in predominantly Latino neighborhoods in Phoenix and Glendale, which some analysts said reflected the beating many businesses have taken as a result of an exodus of Latino immigrants and their families.

The report by the Center for Immigration Studies estimates that the nation's illegal-immigrant population fell from a peak of 12.5 million in the summer of 2007 to 10.8 million in the first quarter of 2009, a drop of 13.7 percent.

The center is a research organization in Washington, D.C., that favors less immigration to the United States.

The size of the decline suggests that not only are fewer illegal immigrants coming to the United States but also that a significant number are returning home, said Steven Camarota, a researcher at the center and one of the report's authors.

"It's a significant break" following years of rapid growth in the nation's undocumented population, he said. "We have never seen this large and sustained decline in the illegal population in this way before."

The center's report was based on an analysis of less-educated Hispanic immigrants taken from the Census Bureau's monthly Current Population Survey.

A report last week by the Pew Hispanic Center, which analyzed government population surveys from the U.S. and Mexico as well as Border Patrol apprehensions, found that immigrants, both legal and illegal, are not leaving the country.

Randy Capps, a senior policy analyst at the Migration Policy Institute, said there is no question the illegal immigrant population has stabilized. But he believes Camarota's report may have inflated the size of the drop because it focused on a narrower segment of the population: less-educated Hispanic immigrants.

He said any net decline has more to do with the annual return of illegal immigrants to Mexico in the fall and winter months offset by fewer immigrants coming to the U.S. because of a lack of jobs and stepped-up deportations.

After reaching a high of 530,000 in 2007, Arizona's undocumented population now numbers about 350,000, a drop of about 180,000 people, Camarota said.

The exodus is good news for Arizona taxpayers, Camarota said, because illegal immigrants tend to work in low-wage jobs and therefore contribute less in taxes than the public services they use.

But immigrant advocates say the loss of so many people has been a big blow to the state's economy, where empty storefronts, vacant homes and empty apartments dot many immigrant neighborhoods.

"When you lose people, you lose not only workers but people who are consumers, and these people were great consumers," said Elias Bermudez, chief executive and founder of the Phoenix-based Immigrants Without Borders.

Bermudez says the center's estimate that 180,000 illegal immigrants have left is too low.

"I may even go higher than that, as many as 250,000 people," Bermudez said. "I get two or three calls a day from people who say they are leaving."

Capps said he believes the "pause" in illegal immigration to the U.S. should make immigration reform less contentious.

"It makes the conversation a little easier," he said.

Camarota, however, said the declining population could play both ways.

On one hand, it could give a boost to a legalization program because the population is no longer growing and therefore is more manageable, Camarota said.

On the other, it could debunk arguments that illegal immigrants don't leave.

"Some could say (the illegal-immigrant population) is still a big problem, but we are getting it under control," Camarota said, "while others would say, 'Why have an amnesty (program) when there is an alternative and people will go home?' "

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/ ... n0730.html
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I live in Phx and I can tell you that this article is a lie. At least 1 million here in PHX. They arnt leaving, and if you go to south PHX everything is Mexican Flags and spanish signs. They have overrun this country. How could 12 million people in a population of 300 million take over as many cities as they have? Every state and city in this country has problems with illegal Immigration. Dosnt make sense.

MW
    Last week, Chandler-based Bashas' Supermarkets closed three Food City stores in predominantly Latino neighborhoods in Phoenix and Glendale, which some analysts said reflected the beating many businesses have taken as a result of an exodus of Latino immigrants and their families.
    This is a good thing. Obviously the folks living in the neighboroods were majority illegal. Companies that rely on illegal aliens as their customer base deserve to suffer the consequences of their actions. IMO, any business that depends on illegals to survive is guilty of aiding and abetting illegal immigrants.

LuvMyCountry wrote:

I live in Phx and I can tell you that this article is a lie
    You're probably right. I believe this is just another attempt at setting down the groundwork for the next amnesty push.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Enforcement and a bad economy works, but I honestly believe that most are not returning to their countries of origin. Instead, they are going to the town or state next door. Where the economy may be slightly improved, and/or there is no enforcement.

If my theory (which it is) is correct, then this is a minor victory only. I guess I'm cautiously optimistic.

Ostrich

Enforcement works!!! Imagine what could be accomplished if they really enforced the laws!!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by SOSADFORUS
    Enforcement works!!! Imagine what could be accomplished if they really enforced the laws!!
    I have a Dream.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by Ratbstard
    Quote Originally Posted by SOSADFORUS
    I have a Dream.
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Some uninformed citizens of Texas are shocked by the number of ILLEGALS leaving Oklahoma and Arizona and scurrying to Texas instead of returning to their "home" countries; becoming a drag on our resources. If the individual states don't enforce ALL laws, state and federal, then we have a country of anarchy and despair.

If a company can't conduct business legally and constructs their business plan on the premise of ILLEGALS as their Customer Base then it has no business being in business and should fail!

Quote Originally Posted by lccat
    Some uninformed citizens of Texas are shocked by the number of ILLEGALS leaving Oklahoma and Arizona and scurrying to Texas instead of returning to their "home" countries; becoming a drag on our resources. If the individual states don't enforce ALL laws, state and federal, then we have a country of anarchy and despair.

If a company can't conduct business legally and constructs their business plan on the premise of ILLEGALS as their Customer Base then it has no business being in business and should fail!
    This is why I HATE reading stories of illegals leaving other states. THEY ARE ALL COMING TO TEXAS!!! Things are getting so bad here it's not even funny. Illegals get ALL of the benefits, and they get to break any law they want and get away with it, even though I would be held accountable. I am TIRED of our republican and democrat state. We desperately need someone that will rid my state of the illegals.
    We see so many tribes overrun and undermined

While their invaders dream of lands they've left behind

Better people...better food...and better beer...

Why move around the world when Eden was so near?
    -Neil Peart from the song Territories&

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast