Janet Mexitano will veto this in a milisecond unfortunately.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepubli ... ott11.html

Police-immigration bill passes
Gives officers deport power

Elvia DÃÂ*az
The Arizona Republic
May. 11, 2005 12:00 AM

Local police officers would have the power to arrest and effectively deport people living in Arizona illegally under a bill passed by the Legislature on Tuesday and sent to Gov. Janet Napolitano.

Currently, such powers are restricted to federal agents. Senate Bill 1306, approved by the Senate by a vote of 16-11, is based on the belief that the state has too few federal agents to deal with an increase in the population of undocumented immigrants.

Opponents have said the police officers do not want the added authority and that the deportation of undocumented workers is a federal issue.

The Senate also agreed Tuesday to let voters decide whether to deny bail to undocumented immigrants who commit a serious crime. If it gets final approval in the House, House Concurrent Resolution 2028 would go on the November 2006 ballot.

The legislative actions came as hundreds of immigrants and their advocates took the day off to rally at the Capitol protesting bills targeting undocumented immigrants. The grass-roots economic boycott called for Latinos not to go to work or spend money. Protesters also gathered in other locations across the Valley.

Some lawmakers, even those sympathetic to immigrants, said the boycott did nothing to change the minds of legislators about illegal immigration.

"I can appreciate their frustration, but picketing and demonstrating here at the Capitol doesn't further their cause," said Rep. Pete Rios, D-Hayden. "I don't think they picked up a lot of sympathy or support from the Arizona state Legislature."

Also Tuesday, the architects of House Bills 2030 and 2592 made it clear they will try to remove provisions that would penalize employers who hire undocumented immigrants. A conference committee will meet this morning to determine the final versions of the bills.

HB 2030 would deny undocumented immigrants child care subsidies, adult classes and other government-funded benefits.

HB 2592 would ban cities, towns and counties from spending money on immigrants who line the Valley's streets waiting for jobs.

Provisions added to both bills call for a six-month business-license suspension and forbidding employers caught hiring immigrants from seeking state contracts.

"Everyone knows that our labor is essential, but many people won't admit it openly," said Luis MartÃÂ*nez, 43, who skipped work at a landscaping business to join hundreds others at the Capitol.

Aucencio Zoto and four other immigrants said they were fired from a fast-food restaurant in Tempe because they left their work to join the boycott.

"We've been silent for too long," said Zoto, a 27-year-old Mexican immigrant. "We want our voices heard."

At minimum, Zoto and others said, they were making a political statement to legislators and the rest of the state.

But lawmakers such as Republican Rep. Bill Konopnicki of Safford said the boycott didn't appear to have an impact at the Legislature.

"I feel sorry for them. I understand their dilemma. It's their only choice they have to voice their opinion," he said. "But I don't think it makes any difference."