Russel Pearce rumored for head of DPS
by KTAR Newsroom (October 21st, 2009 @ 4:34pm)
Comments:3

PHOENIX - There is talk at the state capitol of Arizona Republican Senator, Russell Pearce, possibly being named as the head of D.P.S. His name is one of the more controversial rumored for the position due to his stance on illegal immigration.

Pearce is a staunch supporter of Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio and helped create the employer sanctions law, which punishes companies for hiring illegal immigrants.

Sources familiar with the situation says Arizona Governor Jan Brewer could replace current DPS Director Roger Vanderpool, who was appointed by former Governor Janet Napolitano.

Vanderpool's five year term ends in January. Earlier this week, Vanderpool told Channel Eight's "Horizon" program, he wants to continue on as the head of DPS.

"I love this agency," Vanderpool said on the program. "It's kind of like sailing into the storm. I want to this ship out the other side into calmer waters and I think we are doing good."

Paul Senseman, spokesman for the governor's office, tells KTAR it would be unconstitutional for the Governor to appoint Pearce as head of D.P.S. during the term in which he was elected to serve (which runs through January 2011.) Senseman says even if Pearce were to resign, Governor Brewer could not touch him for that spot.

http://www.ktar.com/?nid=6&sid=1222691