Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

AZ: Tolleson joins lawsuit vs. immigration law

Tolleson joins lawsuit vs. immigration law

by David Madrid - Oct. 17, 2010 12:00 AM
    The Arizona Republic

Tolleson is supporting a U.S. Justice Department lawsuit against Senate Bill 1070, the tough new immigration law.

The city has filed an amicus brief in the Justice lawsuit, which will go to the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals on Nov.1.

The city made the move after a federal judge in August dismissed a lawsuit by a Tucson police officer who claimed SB 1070 is unconstitutional.

Tolleson had joined in the suit in U.S. District Court.

Jose de Jesus Rivera, a Phoenix attorney with a Tucson-based law firm, told the Tolleson City Council on Tuesday that Tucson, Tolleson and the other cities he represents are not sanctuary cities but that SB 1070 seeks to make cities an arm of immigration enforcement.

"In fact, it takes your resources away from other crimes," Rivera told the council, adding that under SB 1070, anyone who believes the city isn't following the law can sue the city.

The friend-of-the-court brief states that "if the key provisions of Arizona Senate Bill 1070 are revived on appeal, those revived provisions will impose expensive, unwieldy, and unconstitutional requirements . . .

"Those requirements will strain already overstrained budgets, divert funds needed for important programs, force the cities to enforce divisive and questionable state mandates and foster a second-rate image of Arizona that will reduce tourism and commercial development - costing jobs in each city and reducing municipal tax receipts."

Tolleson, which is about 80 percent Hispanic, joined the Tucson officer's lawsuit after the City Council on June 8 unanimously voted to allocate up to $20,000.

"I think it's money well spent," said Tolleson Mayor Adolfo Gámez, who said SB 1070 will lead to racial profiling.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/12news/news/ar ... z12eZTMN17

Over strained resources because of the illegal alien invasion and sending them to public schools and collecting other benefits THEY ARE NOT ENTITLED TO.

SOB...SOB...SOB
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

Well maybe we surrounding communities can enact laws to enforce residents of Maywood wannabees to stay there and be stuck with and suffer under their poor choices so that we don't have to pick up the slack when they become economic refugees from their own misguided greed.

When I read this my BP went up dramatically and the only syllables I could utter are not fit to print.

Disgusting.
    Restitution to Displaced Citizens First!

Then again, if we do the above they will resort to the tactics used in Mexico and they will just block off the roads and freeway and exact excessive fees from would be travelers just to use the road - that we paid for.

What a freekin mess!

"I think it's money well spent," said Tolleson Mayor Adolfo Gámez, who said SB 1070 will lead to racial profiling."

WHAT? I grew up in the NY area. We never considered ANYBODY a minority unless they were African-American. END OF STORY.

Not until I moved out West did I encounter Hispanic as a race - and mostly because they declare it themselves. No government forms recognize Hispanic/Latino as anything other than an ethnic group. I am considered to be a white woman married to a white man with white offspring.

So here once again we have a Hispanic man making identity theft, job theft, pillaging and plundering of the public coffers legitimate because it is a race issue and of course white people owe them a living for their entire lives because of their race. OMG.

Remember when all those African-American people thought that America's first black president would mean that none of them would ever have to make a mortgage payment again? Like do all minorities have a group who believes that white presidents make sure that white people all have their mortgages paid? Conversely I caught something on TV (not sure where) and I think it says something to the effect that prejudice does not keep you from paying your bills. What? Of course it does! Prejudice keeps you from even getting the job you need to pay your bills.

Yeah and PS. I LIKE Tolleson. I wanted to live there but my Mexican husband refused exactly because of how prejudice against everyone the Mexicans that live there are.