Posted: Jan 24, 2013 4:10 PM PST Updated: Jan 24, 2013 4:18 PM PST

PORTLAND (Kiii News) -

The City of Portland had one of their largest illegal immigrant bailouts this week, when 26 immigrants from Guatemala were captured and turned over to the U.S. Border Patrol.

It happened just after 2 a.m. Wednesday on Highway 181, near the Wildcat exit.

Portland Police Officer Weldon Wright said he was watching a couple of vehicles going through town and decided to check their license plates. That's when one of them took off at a speed of over 100 miles an hour.

The officer concluded that the vehicle was trying to keep him from stopping a sport utility vehicle, so he stayed with the SUV and, when it pulled over, he said people starting running everywhere.

"I requested additional officers. I was also announcing in Spanish for them to stop, show me their hands. None of them were," Wright said. "I was doing my best to keep them all inside the vehicle. I was able to detain six in the vehicle, and approximately 30 of them exited the vehicle and took off running all over town."

Wright said that 26 immigrants from Guatemala were eventually caught and turned over to the US Border Patrol.

Bailout Results in 26 Illegal Immigrants Detained in Portland - KiiiTV3.com South Texas, Corpus Christi, Coastal Bend