Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bank sues teller for stolen money

Bank sues teller for stolen moneyOver 100 customers seek refunds

By Theresa Gutierrez
    December 16, 2005 - Victims rallied outside a north suburban bank Friday as bank officials take action against an employee accused of taking the money. Tens of thousands of dollars apparently disappeared from dozens of customer accounts at a US Bank branch in Highwood.

No one has been charged in this case. But the bank announced Friday a lawsuit against a teller seeking reimbursement for the stolen money.
    The US Bank Association filed a lawsuit Friday against Estella Ramos, an employee at the bank for the past 27 years. The lawsuit states that Ramos has admitted to wrongdoing, and the bank has refunded over $1 million to bank customers. Victims say that number is inflated.

US Bank customers in Highwood, most of them Mexican immigrants, insist they are not going to go away until they get back the money that was depleted from their bank accounts by a trusted employee.

Eddie Martinez lost $40,000.

"I have been waiting and waiting for their phone call and they haven't called me back. I walk in and they say we don't know anything about it. I have tried at least five times already and they won't give me an answer," said Eddie Martinez, bank customer.

Charlie Brown says over $60,000 in CD's disappeared from his bank account.

"I am going to fight even if I have to close them up. I'm still going to fight, because I'm a very good fighter" Brown said.

Bank officials claim they have refunded more than $1 million to customers.

State senator Susan Garrett has asked the bank for documentation of the refunds.

"All we're asking the bank to do is send us an accounting of the number of checks they have returned and for how much money. That would go a long way," Garrett said.

The bank filed a lawsuit in the United States District Court against Estella Ramos, a 27-year employee of the bank, for the purposes of obtaining accounting of the missing funds and to have all compensation paid to Ramos returned to the bank.

The lawsuit states Ramos has admitted to taking $1 million from over 100 bank customers.

"If the person who is under suspicion has supposedly admitted guilt and wrongdoing, why hasn't somebody pressed charges?" Garrett said.

"If you stole even one penny from a candy store, you go straight to jail," said Oscar Ruiz, bank customer.

The victims says that although the lawsuit is a step forward, they still want their money refunded and with interest.

ABC7 News Team

Theresa Gutierrez, General Assignment Reporter, ABC 7 News and Host of "Ñ Beat"

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?sectio ... id=3733199

Customers Accuse Bank Of Stealing Their Money
    Bank Is Suing Former Employee For Theft

Rafael Romo
    Reporting

(CBS) HIGHWOOD, Ill. An angry protest Friday by some customers who say they got ripped off by their bank. The bank is suing a former employee, accusing her of ripping off the bank.

CBS 2's Rafael Romo reports on a case of some flimflamming with bank money in a scheme that was set up for years.

All of the alleged victims deposited their money at the US Bank in Highwood. Most are working-class investors with deposits ranging from $2,000 to $200,000. All worked with the same bank employee.

At the center of the investigation is a woman identified Friday in a federal lawsuit as Estella Ramos. CBS 2 was unable to reach her, but US Bank, her former employer, says she was a "master at deceit."

The bank is also claiming she stole $1.3 million from more than 100 customers over several years, crimes to which she has confessed, according to US Bank.

"I got CDs in there, and when you come to get them out -- you can't get them. They lost 'em, they're gone. Somebody cashed them, they are gone. Who? I don't know."

Charles Brown is one of the alleged victims. He claims he lost more than $60,000.

Eddie Martinez, another alleged victim, is trying to organize those who lost their money.

"A lot of these people don't know English, and I said, you know what, with my language, by being bi-lingual, I should help these people because they don't know who to turn to,” he said. “The bank is going to give them the run around."

US Bank says it's doing everything it can to reimburse its customers, but the alleged victims say getting information has been an uphill battle.

“The bank is treating us like if we were the criminals, instead of the victims," said Martinez.

Senator Susan Garrett is calling for a federal investigation into the matter, and urging the bank to show it really cares about its customers.

"It's amazing to me that they haven't had a much stronger proactive program,” said Sen. Garrett. “If I were them, I guess, I would be setting up tables in the bank. I'd be helping with legal representation."

In most fraud cases, the money you deposit in the bank is insured by the federal government, but in this case more than 100 people were given fake documents that were lost or destroyed.

(© MMV, CBS Broadcasting, Inc. All Rights Reserved.)

MW
    US Bank customers in Highwood, most of them Mexican immigrants, insist they are not going to go away until they get back the money that was depleted from their bank accounts by a trusted employee.

Can we assume the term "Mexican immigrants" means illegal immigrants? If so, where does an illegal immigrant come up with $40,000?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

"If you stole even one penny from a candy store, you go straight to jail," said Oscar Ruiz, bank customer.
    Breaking the law right..taking even a penny...hummm
    Breaking the border laws, immigration laws... than I guess you should go straight to jail or back over the border.
    Now.. see that was easy!
    Never look at another flag. Remember, that behind Government, there is your country, and that you belong to her as you do belong to your own mother. Stand by her as you would stand by your own mother

Quote Originally Posted by MW

Can we assume the term "Mexican immigrants" means illegal immigrants? If so, where does an illegal immigrant come up with $40,000?
    In light of the fact that this is Illinois, your assumption that they are illegal is probably accurate.