Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Battle On The Border Reaches To The Ohio Tri-State

VIDEO: http://www.local12.com/mediacenter/loca ... eoId=21567

Local 12's Rich Jaffe and photographer Dan Cavins were invited to go with them for a look at the battle on the border.

The problem of illegal immigration is growing on a daily basis in our area.

With no easy solution in sight, two Butler County leaders recently travelled to the Arizona-Mexico border to see the situation firsthand, and search for solutions.

The frontline of this country's war on illegal immigration is Southern Arizona's rugged Cochise County. Officials estimate that, every day, an astounding 1,000 illegal immigrants enter this country across the county's more than 83 mile border.

10% of those caught already have serious felony histories in the U.S. and while some are looking for jobs, others are hauling tons of drugs across on a regular basis.

"Frankly the biggest burden has been to the community," said Larry Dever, Cochise County sheriff. "The disruption of normal social life. People not being able to leave home together, who have to stay home and watch their place so it's not invaded, burglarized, day and night traffic through backyards, tearing up gates and fences, and destroying water sources that are very scarce."

With only 80 deputies to cover 6,200 square miles, Cochise County Sheriff Larry Dever fights a daily battle most of the country doesn't even comprehend. A recent university study found nearly 40% of Dever's department assets are being spent dealing with illegals.

"Unfortunately, when you have to say, 'yes' to these kinds of matters it means you have to say, 'no 'to other very important issues like local drug distribution, burglaries and thefts that don't get the time and attention that they need."

Just weeks ago, Butler County Sheriff Richard Jones and Ohio State Representative Courtney Combs went to Arizona to search for solutions to growing immigration problems back in Ohio.

"It's just such a massive undertaking to try to stop this," said Sheriff Jones. "You can't feel it unless you've been here and seen it. You can see it on television, and talk about it until you've been here and seen it and lean on the fence, and talk to the people who do this every day. What an undertaking."

The emphasis is on trying to control and contain the flow of illegals crossing the border. In Douglas, Arizona, at the busiest border patrol station in the country, 500 agents stay busy 24/7. Cameras and lights spring up like the latest electronic crop along the desert dividing line. 4-wheel drive trucks carry night vision cameras mounted on huge masts. In a high tech surveillance center, agents watch dozens of cameras day and night. Where cameras can't see, ground sensors trigger alarms. And soon, ground radar is coming.

In the incredibly rugged Huachuca Mountains, the illegal human traffic is actually so common, the park service puts up warning signs to caution people that if they're up there, they could run into smugglers.

The biggest deterrent can be seen from miles away...the fence. It runs like an ugly seam across the Southwest border, literally a line in the sand, dividing Mexico and the United States. Where it's still under construction, nothing but a few strands of wire separate the two countries. But authorities say the new fence is working, forcing illegals away from the cities where they can blend in quickly, to the desert and mountains where patrols have more time to catch them.

"We have to know who is coming into this country, we don't know," said Courtney Combs, (R) Ohio state representative. "And we can see by where we're standing right here how easy it would be. Terrorists, people who want to do us harm, they're coming."

But not everyone in Arizona is a fan of the wall.

"People are always going to find a way over, under or around," said Emilie Vardaman, Citizens for Border Solutions. "They're being channeled into even more remote, more dangerous parts of the desert, which means I expect more people are going to die."

And die they do, routinely on the dangerous trail to freedom. Officially, these people are called "IA's," or illegal aliens.

Out of food and water, separated from the rest of their group in the Arizona desert, two men flagged down a Cochise County Sheriff's deputy for a ride back to the border. He gave them water, his lunch, and thanks to border patrol, a ride home, so they could no doubt start their journey again.

According to those on the frontline, the answer is pressure from the rest of the country, where the problem is just starting to be felt.

"We've got to educate ourselves," said Sheriff Jones. "And educate enough so we vote and put pressure on our elected officials from the city council all the way up to the president of the United States. We've got to come up with some kind of solution."

"What happens here on the border, frankly, is going to impact, and is impacting the rest of the country," said Sheriff Dever. "Kind of snuck up on you all a little bit , but you've got it. I been saying for years, they're running over me and headed your way. Well, you're the winner."

Sheriff Dever has been sounding the alarm about the immigration situation in his county since 1998. While he has given tours to numerous U.S. senators and state representatives, this was the first time that any local officials have gone to his border and looked at the situation for themselves.

www.local12.com

Looks like Ohio officals are finally starting to see the big picture!
    IT'S SURE TAKEN THEM LONG ENOUGH
    Proud sister and daughter of USMC officers.

I'm sorry, I wasn't aware the walls were supposed to make it easier for invaders to enter?

The walls are working! Keep building them. If aliens choose to cross over in dangerous areas, that is their choice. If stories get back to Mexico, that they may die while crossing, they will likely think twice before making the attempt.

BUILD THE WALLS!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

"What happens here on the border, frankly, is going to impact, and is impacting the rest of the country," said Sheriff Dever. "Kind of snuck up on you all a little bit , but you've got it. I been saying for years, they're running over me and headed your way. Well, you're the winner."
    This very intelligent man has been warning us for years, it's about time everyone started listening.

I'm sorry, I wasn't aware the walls were supposed to make it easier for invaders to enter?
    That was my thoughts also about this bleeding hearts comments, thank you miguelina.
    Proud sister and daughter of USMC officers.

The walls will help - but we shouldn't put all our emphasis on the fence. It will take years to build that fence.

In the meantime, our government can have all the ones here made legal - or they will have given birth by that time.

We simply cannot focus on the fence only - I think that is what they want us to do while they work their dastardly deeds here in this country.

If we want rid of the 20M Plus, we had better get hot on interior enforcement -

I don't want anyone to die, but they have to know the situation when they cross that desert.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The Butler County Sheriff has aggresively arressted as many IAs as he can get !

MW
    But authorities say the new fence is working, forcing illegals away from the cities where they can blend in quickly, to the desert and mountains where patrols have more time to catch them.
    Good, I'm glad to see the fence is funneling the illegals into the more open areas of the border. I'm hoping someday the entire border will be fenced!

nntrixie wrote:

We simply cannot focus on the fence only - I think that is what they want us to do while they work their dastardly deeds here in this country.
    According to Duncan Hunter they have a case of the slows regarding the building of the fence. They definitely aren't focusing solely on the fence. If they were it would have been built by now, all 854 miles of it. Let's get that darn double-layered fence built, now!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

30,000 a month and thats only one state, and they act like they are doing something if they arrest 15 of them. What a joke! My God they need to close the damn border.

Bush should be literally thrown out of out big white house! How pathetic.
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Banned

Great Video

That Fence has had time to build its self and the money for it has been spent twice. But we all know that the reporters from Cincinnati won’t talk about that part.

10% of those caught already have serious felony histories in the U.S. and while some are looking for jobs, others are hauling tons of drugs across on a regular basis.
    Nice numbers I’m sure its higher but these guys around here only see the bad guys its like Cincinnati is the criminals last hiding place.
    Ice takes forever to get out in the muck.

With only 80 deputies to cover 6,200 square miles, Cochise County Sheriff Larry Dever fights a daily battle most of the country doesn't even comprehend. A recent university study found nearly 40% of Dever's department assets are being spent dealing with illegals.
    Whoever can do that job with probably a stretched budget to begin with Is one heck of a man and Cares about our country
    Something has to give out there
    I want to lobby to get the area the proper money!!!

Hi Momofnextpres
    Welocme to alipac
    Glad to see your getting your feet wet!

Banned
    Bttt

"Frankly the biggest burden has been to the community," said Larry Dever, Cochise County sheriff. "The disruption of normal social life. People not being able to leave home together, who have to stay home and watch their place so it's not invaded, burglarized, day and night traffic through backyards, tearing up gates and fences, and destroying water sources that are very scarce."
    Our government has so let us down. Why not establish a seperate division of the military for border enforcment only. We would probably get more volunteers than we need for that duty.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast