Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Belfast man's cat-and-mouse duel with the us authorities

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/ ... ory=675552

Belfast man's cat-and-mouse duel with the us authorities

By Linda McKee

12 January 2006
    A Belfast man who worked undocumented in the US for nine years has described the game of cat-and-mouse that began after the September 11 attacks.

Irish immigrants were forced to steer clear of public transport during busy periods for fear of being rounded up by police searching for illegals, he said.

Under the Sensenbrenner Bill, recently approved by the House of Representatives, hundreds of thousands of Irish immigrants could find themselves squeezed even further if rules criminalising anyone helping illegals are introduced.

The Bill would require employers to verify the Social Security numbers of their employees and impose heavy fines on anyone who refuses to comply. The crackdown would hit restaurants and construction companies hiring Irish workers.

The passing of the Bill has prompted the launch of the Irish Lobby for Immigration Reform, which has called for legal status for more than 25,000 illegal Irish immigrants living in the US.

One Belfast man who lived in the US for nine years described how authorities tightened up on illegals after 9/11.

"You had to be really careful then because the police would board domestic trains travelling within the country, searching for illegals.

"A group of Irish kids who had stayed beyond the three months were found on a train. They were taken to jail for a while before being deported. Basically, you just had to be ultra careful when moving around and at busy times avoid public transport as much as possible."

After 9/11, the man's passport was swiped as he boarded an internal flight, so he knew he was now registered on the system.

"I was in a kind of limbo as I knew it would be OK to head home but they would see that I had stayed too long and I would never be able to return," he said.

The man, now living in Northern Ireland, favours the proposed McCain Kennedy immigration bill, which would allow illegal immigrants eventually to become citizens, applying for six-year work permits before ultimately applying for permanent citizenship.

"I think it would be a good thing for both the government and the people, as the government isn't getting any tax from these illegals at the moment. People who have been there over three years will be allowed to stay and work even if they aren't offered citizenship."
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

no no no no no no - listen up Ireland- you have a geat economy and much as I like the Irish and am part Irish- the Irish do not need to be subverting the united states immigration problems.