Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

OR: Bend Immigrant Rights Group Claims Profiling

Bend Immigrant Rights Group Claims Profiling

41 comments

Sheriff Larry Blanton Fires Back: 'I Don't Deport Anybody'

By Mackenzie Wilson, KTVZ.COM
    POSTED: 3:56 pm PDT May 9, 2011

BEND, Ore. -- "I don't deport anybody -- that's (federal) immigration (officials)," said Deschutes County Sheriff Larry Blanton.
    Sheriff Larry Blanton fired back at allegations that local law enforcement racially profile illegal immigrants, leading to deportation.
    Immigrants' rights groups rallied Monday in Bend, giving local authorities petitions with hundreds of signatures, calling for compassion.
    The heart of the debate: When should law enforcement report illegal immigrants to federa; Immigration and Customs Enforcement, commonly known as ICE?
    "People are being deported for non-criminal offenses like broken taillights and things like that," said Greg Delgado, an immigrant family advocate.
    The sheriff told NewsChannel 21 his records show otherwise.
    "I don't think assault, DUII, false report to a police officer, delivery of controlled substance, methamphetamine, rape in the first degree, sodomy and sex abuse are minor offenses," Blanton said.
    Last year, nearly 6,000 people were booked into the Deschutes County Jail. More than 100 of them were placed on ICE detainers, meaning they didn't have proper identification or proof they were who they said they were.
    The sheriff's records showed that last year, 74 of those held for ICE faced felony charges, including 15 for methamphetamine delivery, seven for meth possession and four each for aggravated theft, marijuana manufacture and possession, first-degree attempted abuse and frequenting a place where drugs are kept or sold.
    "If they've committed a criminal offense, then they should be reported to ICE," Delgado said. "The way they're doing it now is, as soon as they pull them over, they're running them through ICE."
    Blanton said running someone's name through ICE is the same for anyone.
    "Regardless of your ethnicity, color of skin, we ask where you're from," Blanton said. "If you say you're from Russia or, 'I'm from out of the country' -- it doesn't have to just be Hispanic -- we try to make sure of a couple of things; that you are who you say you are, and that you're here legally."
    Supporters of Immigrant Family Advocates did a study of ICE detainees at the Deschutes County Jail from 2007 to 2010. Their research shows more than 600 people were held on ICE detainers over the three years.
    They said that number jumps significantly when you add up families who's lives are also put on hold.
    "You're breaking families apart and separating them," said Immigrant Family Advocate Gerardo Zuniga. "That's just inhumane."

http://www.ktvz.com/news/27831617/detail.html
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

"You're breaking families apart and separating them," said Immigrant Family Advocate Gerardo Zuniga. "That's just inhumane."

So is rape and all the other stuff these lawless critters do.
    You cannot dedicate yourself to America unless you become in every
    respect and with every purpose of your will thoroughly Americans. You
    cannot become thoroughly Americans if you think of yourselves in groups. President Woodrow Wilson

This talk of compassion from the immigrant's rights groups just burns me up. For one thing, 100 out of 6000 is somewhere between 1 and 2 percent. That's not exactly huge numbers.

For another thing, people don't get deported because they have a broken tail light. They get deported because they are here illegally. If they don't get deported for that, then why should we have any immigration laws at all? It just makes no sense.

Furthermore, Oregon has been ravaged, literally ravaged by meth. The fallout on children and families there has been horrific! And it has not escaped my noticed Mexicans are heavily involved in it's distribution and production. People who want to talk about the rights of meth distributors, particularly those here illegally, had best not use the word compassion in front of me! Because the meth epidemic has personally affected members of my family in a terrible way and I will spit nails telling them about it! And don't even let them start in on family values!!