Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

BIGTIME QUESTION

IS IT JUST ME, THE WAY I'M READING BETWEEN THE LINES OR DID WE JUST GET TOOK AGAIN?

Bush Signs Voting Rights Act Extension
    President Vows to Build on 'Legal Equality' Won in Civil Rights Era
    By Hamil R. Harris and Michael Abramowitz
    Washington Post Staff Writers
    Friday, July 28, 2006; A03

Joined by stalwarts of the civil rights movement, President Bush yesterday signed into law a 25-year extension of the Voting Rights Act, the historic legislation that opened the ballot box to millions of blacks across the South in the 1960s.
    Under the legislation, the Justice Department will maintain the authority to review changes in ballot procedures, legislative districts and other electoral rules in several states, mainly in the South, to ensure that African Americans and other minorities maintain influence in elections.
    "By reauthorizing this act, Congress has reaffirmed its belief that all men are created equal," Bush said as he looked into a crowd of people waving church fans bearing the image of the American flag. He vowed "to continue to build on the legal equality won by the civil rights movement to help ensure that every person enjoys the opportunity that this great land of liberty offers." GOP leaders have been eager to renew the act before the fall elections, but the measure had faced trouble in the House over concern from some Republicans that it unfairly targeted certain Southern states. But House leaders managed to defeat amendments they regarded as politically embarrassing, and the Senate passed the measure last week with little debate.
    Bush signed the bill with considerable fanfare on the White House's South Lawn, joined by civil rights leaders who often have been at odds with his administration. They included NAACP Board Chairman Julian Bond, Jesse L. Jackson and Al Sharpton. Also present were family members of three prominent civil rights figures whose names are attached to the legislation: Rosa Parks, Coretta Scott King and Fannie Lou Hamer, who was beaten and jailed in 1962 trying to register to vote in Mississippi.
    Sen. Arlen Specter (R-Pa.) called the ceremony historic because of those who attended. "It is enormously impressive to see George Bush and Julian Bond exchange salutes. It is a great day for America," he said. Congressional Black Caucus Chairman Melvin Watt (D-N.C.) said that even though Bush signed the Voting Rights bill, the relationship between Bush and black America has not changed. "He is the same George Bush; on some issues we work together, and on most issues we are not able to work together," he said.
    Also present at the ceremony was Rep. William J. Jefferson (D-La.), who is under federal investigation in a corruption case. Jefferson said he felt compelled to come to the White House because, he said, "I grew up in a time when my mother couldn't vote. This is real big step for many of us."
    © 2006 The Washington Post Company
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... rrer=email
    THEY JUST MADE IT WHERE THE ILLEGALS CAN VOTE????? The Civil Rights issue that existed in the 60's is NO LONGER AN ISSUE. Oh NO it's the "Civil Rights" of the Illegals now that is the issue.
    I'M READY TO GO TO THE ANTARTIC TO LIVE
    END OF AN ERA 1/20/2009

I'M READY TO GO TO THE ANTARTIC TO LIVE
    A bit cold but I just might join you.

Bush is real proud of himself too. Some members of the House tried to stop this.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Sen. Arlen Specter (R-Pa.) called the ceremony historic because of those who attended. "It is enormously impressive to see George Bush and Julian Bond exchange salutes.
    I'd call it a bit more than proud of himself.......
    he just got us again ROYALLY
    HE'S GLOATING
    END OF AN ERA 1/20/2009

I was thinking the North Pole.
    "What part of illegal don't you understand?"

North Pole ain't far enough away from Bush if you know what I mean?
    END OF AN ERA 1/20/2009

JAK
    THEY JUST MADE IT WHERE THE ILLEGALS CAN VOTE?????
    MY GOD...please tell me this isn't true.
    Please help save America for our children and grandchildren... they are counting on us. THEY DESERVE the goodness of AMERICA not to be given to those who are stealing our children's future! ... and a congress who works for THEM!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

25-year extension
    Guess I need to do some research.
    I don't care what you call me, so long as you call me AMERICAN.

IS IT JUST ME, THE WAY I'M READING BETWEEN THE LINES OR DID WE JUST GET TOOK AGAIN?
    The latter I am afraid.

And here's why: The original Voters Rights Act, passed in 1965, legitimately addressed concerted efforts by some to thwart the vote of black AMERICAN citizens. It was all about the fact that black American citizens were finding that their designated polling places were incredibly far from where they lived, and that some polling places were actually making them take literacy tests to prove they were eligible to vote, among other things. No one, on either side, protested the fact that showing ID was a mandatory voting requirement at that time.

Fast forward to 2006: The Voter Rights Act is ALL about NOT having to show ID to vote! Both parties, especially democrats, are now saying that having to show a goverment issued ID in order to vote violates the Voter Rights Act because it will prevent the old and poor from voting. Again, this was NEVER an issue in 1965!

It appears that the Voters Rights Act has morphed into the Illegal Alien Vote Act.

If you don't think illegals are already voting you need to wake up

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast