Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)

Birth leave sought for girls

Birth leave sought for girls
    Soon-to-be-moms at East High School ask for four weeks of maternity leave.
    By Jeremy P. Meyer
    The Denver Post Article Last Updated: 01/07/2008 02:00:49 AM MST

Kayla Lewis, a senior at East High School, asked school-board members last month to establish maternity leave for students who are new mothers. ( Cyrus McCrimmon, The Denver Post )Pregnant students in a Denver high school are asking for at least four weeks of maternity leave so they can heal, bond with their newborns and not be penalized with unexcused absences.

The request is unusual in Colorado's public schools, where districts tend to deal with pregnant students or new moms with specialized programs or individualized education plans.

Denver Public Schools has no districtwide policy, leaving it up to schools to work out plans for students to continue their education.

Two counselors from East High School approached the school board last month, saying the policy at their school is unfair and inconsiderate because it forces new moms to return to school the day after being discharged from the hospital or face being charged with unexcused absences.

"My initial reaction is if we are punishing girls like that, that is unacceptable," said Nicole Head, one of the counselors who brought the matter to the school board last month. "We've got to do something."

East High School administrators could not be reached for comment over the winter break, but district officials say they are reviewing the policy on absences to make it "friendlier" to new moms, said DPS spokesman Alex Sanchez.

Kayla Lewis, who is five months pregnant and a senior at East, requested that the board establish maternity leave for students at a Dec. 20 public hearing.

"After you have the baby, your body needs time to heal," the 18-year-old said.

That is true, said Dr. Sarah Grope, pediatrician at HealthOne's Rocky Mountain Hospital for Children in Denver.

"To just assume that two days after having a baby they can go back to school is ridiculous at best," Grope said. "During that time, they should be able to do their schoolwork and give time to bond with their children."

School-board member Michelle Moss was baffled that schools were giving girls unexcused absences after birth.

"It's critical that these young women have a chance to bond with their babies," Moss said. "Maybe we do need a policy. Clearly, as a district, we have to look at what is going on with our young women. We've got to look at the birth-control issues and teen pregnancy and how we best help them deal with it and still graduate."

Denver has one of the highest teen-pregnancy rates in the state. Of every 1,000 girls ages 15 to 17, 54.5 will become pregnant in the city, compared with 24.3 throughout Colorado, according to state health statistics.

The district has a school for pregnant teens and new moms, Florence Crittenton School, but it has a waiting list. Plus, many students want to remain at the school where they started, said Head, the counselor at East.

Cherry Creek, Adams 12, Jefferson County and Douglas County school districts have policies in which students work with counselors and principals to devise plans that will keep them in school.

Several districts have special schools with child-care services for new moms. Others have programs that allow students to receive high-school credit.

"When a girl tells us she is pregnant, we advise her to work one on one with her counselor and go from there to see what they can work out," said Michelle Ancell, spokeswoman for Cherry Creek Schools.

"The counselor plays middleman between the principal and the student," said Melissa Reeves of Jefferson County Schools, who added that the district has started a computer-based credit-recovery program that students can use during evening hours.

Douglas County has had a program for 19 years called WINGS, or Winning in New Growth Situations, that offers support and instruction for the girls once a week, allowing them to earn elective credits in nutrition and parenting. The program has 20 students, said coordinator Susan Anderson.

The district has a school that begins at 4:30 p.m. for new parents that is attached to Highlands Ranch High School. Students also are able to stay in their schools, but that is not easy for many new moms, she said.

"Day care is very difficult, hard to come by and expensive," Anderson said. "We just work really hard to make sure kids graduate high school. We know it's so important."

Teen mothers face a challenging future, with many dropping out. A third of teen moms receive their high-school diplomas and 1.5 percent get college degrees before they turn 30, according to the National Campaign to Prevent Teen Pregnancy.

"If there are young mothers asking for maternity leave, the board should listen to them," said Lori Casillas, executive director of the Colorado Organization on Adolescent Pregnancy, Parenting, and Prevention. "If they think it is a barrier to graduation, the board should look at that."

Her organization advocates that schools provide child-care services for new moms. Too many girls drop out after giving birth, and schools must do something to keep them, Casillas said.

Students at one high school in southern Colorado wanted to set up a child-care center, but the principal forbade it, saying it would encourage teen pregnancy, she said.

"There is no evidence that has ever happened," Casillas said. "I don't think schools have been proactive at creating policies that encourage young mothers to remain in school. Schools need to say, 'What if you do come back, then what?'

"Schools need to say, 'This is what we do to support your learning.' That's not happening."

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_7899096
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Just when I think this country cannot get anymore backwards-Something else like this comes along which makes me bang my head against the wall.

Oh, gee Nicole - every day it's something else.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

carr2002

Full Name: veronica c
    Participation Points: 164

Childcare in Schools
    Posted: 4:21 am, Mon Jan 07 4 points (6 total votes)
    Report Abuse | Report Good Comment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe the solution is that "if" a teen does become pregnant and want to use the childcare system while they are in school, that they must work part-time in the school. This may be via a tutor, cafteria, janitorial, etc. This way the school does not feel it is "encouraging" teen pregnancy. Yet, it is a fact and if these mothers can finish their education it should help them that much more to be able to sustain their child and possibly not need government assistance. Just my 2 cents...

Quite Frankly
    Zip Code: 80013 *
    Full Name: Steve
    Participation Points: 2156

Posted: 4:28 am, Mon Jan 07 -6 points (10 total votes)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the girls need 4 weeks or 4 months off fine as long as they can keep up with their studies from home. But hey, school budgets are already strained. Ain't my fault these girls don't protect themselves, let their parents take an extra job to pay for daycare.

And yes, it's the girl's fault. She is the one who has the risk of pregnancy so the ultimate responsibility is her's. In a perfect world the guys would do the right thing but we know that doesn't happen in most cases.

Honorable
    Zip Code: 80203 *
    Full Name: T M
    Participation Points: 1217

Posted: 7:56 am, Mon Jan 07 -5 points (11 total votes)

Don't incentivize it. Getting pregnant when you are a teen should be difficult.

tarheels672
    Zip Code: 80033 *
    Full Name: e sal
    Participation Points: 186

Posted: 8:16 am, Mon Jan 07 7 points (9 total votes)

I think regardless of the ages of these young women they should be allowed the time off school to heal and also bond with there baby. Now days there other methods for them not to get behind such as online classes and also make up work at home. I myself was a teen mom 16 yrs ago and was very lucky to finish school. We have to give these young moms credit for wanting to go back to school to provide a positive future for there child.

racer
    Zip Code: 80501
    Full Name: Zinka T
    Participation Points: 3998

Posted: 8:17 am, Mon Jan 07 5 points (7 total votes)

Getting pregnant while in school is bad. At least these days they are trying to help the teen. Although it is not right a teen should wait to start a family. There was nothing said on how these teens are treated at school, are they harassed, made to feel on the outside, are the school officals treating the same as the other students? If this is happening it is bad and I know 1st hand. 40 years ago I went though this in my senor year, it got so bad I didn't want to go to school. I was sent to Florence Crittenton Home for unwed Mothers where at that time were very strict but you weren't singled out or treat like the kreeping crud.
    I am so glad that there are options for the teens now. Until our morals change we are going to have provide for these teens in many ways both public and private.

Last edited by racer on 8:19 am, Mon Jan 07; edited 1 time in total

scapulon
    Zip Code: 80521
    Full Name: Jan Vandersee Front Range Commando
    Participation Points: 6595

Posted: 8:18 am, Mon Jan 07 10 points (12 total votes)

Having kids at any time is difficult, not just when you're a teenager.

Let's be pragmatic here though. These girls are already seriously at risk for dropping below the poverty line and have a very difficult life both for themselves and their family. Some may be motivated by simple compassion - giving these people the tools they need to be productive members of society. Others may be motivated by $$$ - these girls will cost you a lot less money if they can get an education and become productive as opposed to habitual welfare recipients.

Not to mention that studies have shown that the two most important factors in how well educated kids are are the attitudes that their family and their friends take towards education. How are these girls supposed to value something (for their kids) that they never got?

And what about abortion? I think one of the easiest ways to reduce the number of abortions is to help young mothers - not make their lives excessively difficult.

The bottom line is that you don't want these girls dropping out of school. This isn't good for anyone involved. What harm could it do to give them a month of sick leave? When comparing the costs to benefits, the benefits are overwhelmingly greater.

Proud Blue Star Mom

Full Name: Marie Trujillo
    Participation Points: 266

Posted: 8:53 am, Mon Jan 07 -1 points (7 total votes)

The last thing these girls need is a 4 week vacation from school to "bond" with their baby! If their priorities were more focused on school to begin with, they would not be in this situation. What to do.

DPS already uses teachers to go to homebound students; sounds like these girls are perfect candidates for the homebound student program.
    Additionally DPS needs to get childcare in the schools pronto for these girls. Any program should also involve the "dads". Clearly they must not be stepping up to help with the "bonding" or other responsibilities of raising a baby or these girls would not be asking for relief!

Finally, whoever is in charge of DPS' program to reduce teen pregnancies needs to be held accountable and fired - they clearly are failing in their task. Children raising children is a serious issue with long-term consequences - most all bad.

Byaks

Full Name: B
    Participation Points: 383

Posted: 8:54 am, Mon Jan 07 -5 points (7 total votes)

It sounds like becoming pregnant while in a Denver high school is roundly accepted instead of being discouraged.

So again KA CHING KA CHING.

Glad I'm not a Denver taxpayer.

Colorado Cookie
    Zip Code: 80906 *
    Full Name: Janice Taylor
    Participation Points: 258

Posted: 9:31 am, Mon Jan 07 0 (4 total votes)

Taxpayers pay for the school. Students can request, but society need not cave. Students who become pregnant and wish time to recover from delivery and bond with a baby must withdraw as a full time student for a semester or a term to concentrate on caring for themselves and providing for the infant. One cannot properly or fairly do both. The school, other students and staff ought not be in any way penalized; nor should the child or the student's family be inconvenienced. Women who choose to be mothers must realize that they--not society--must accept responsability for that life. And what about the father? Shall we permit bonding time?

thisisonlyatest
    Zip Code: 80814
    Full Name: Mischa Kenton
    Participation Points: 211

If...
    Posted: 9:32 am, Mon Jan 07 4 points (4 total votes)

If football players could carry babies, there would already be such a policy. Yes, it should be hard to be a teenage mom. I'm thinking it will be, even if they get 4 weeks off. Give the girls some time off and they can make up for it during summer school.

magenlea
    Zip Code: 80134
    Full Name: ml moore
    Participation Points: 491

Posted: 9:49 am, Mon Jan 07 -3 points (13 total votes)

If you think you are old enough to have sex, then you are old enough to face the consequences. The school district didn't force them to have sex or to keep their child, so why should they get special treatment? If you are a teenage mother, then time to start growing up and you can take that first step by facing up to the consequences of your irresponsible actions. You choose to keep your kid, you choose to make certain sacrifices, ie education.....I have zero sympathy for them...

burbgal

Full Name: burbgal
    Participation Points: 850

Posted: 10:18 am, Mon Jan 07 8 points (10 total votes)

I think the long term benefit of educating young moms is worth far more than a temporary cost.
    I'd rather help with day care than jail, long term welfare or fosterage.

I agree that these young women should be allowed the homebound program, or sign onto one of the online districts from the Plains, whichever works for the particular student.
    To penalize ONLY the female while the male gets off free, is a great disservice.
    When the dad is known, he can help with the childcare costs through a district.

The school's job is to educate, not handicap.

Zack

Full Name: Zack
    Participation Points: 438

Posted: 10:33 am, Mon Jan 07 -2 points (2 total votes)

And this will make it that much harder to get them to go back to school after the 4 weeks are up.

Raven2169
    Zip Code: 80202 *
    Full Name: Raven P

Are you serious
    Posted: 10:42 am, Mon Jan 07 0 (4 total votes)

I think someone needs to take a serious look at the sex education (or lack thereof) that DPS is providing for these teenagers. 54% is downright outrageous and inexcusable. Also, why should they be allowed maternity leave?? As a college student I would still be held accountable for my school work and attendance unless excused by a doctor. To reasonably spend the necessary time with a newborn I would have to take the semester off. Timing is everything in life and there are consequences and rewards for every action. Perhaps these young girls should have thought about the ramifications of parenthood and really where are their parents in all this? Perhaps if they want to graduate then they may just have to take another semester or year to do so. Programs such as homebound, summer school and online classes seem like a viable solution but where are the programs for prevention?

mrfxx

Full Name: Mary
    Participation Points: 1898

Welcome to the real world
    Posted: 10:52 am, Mon Jan 07 3 points (5 total votes)

Interesting that these girls are requesting what is theoretically assured to employed mothers in the Family Medical Leave Act; however, they don't seem to understand that in the workforce, while one cannot be fired for requesting/taking the time off, one doesn't have to be paid for it (although some companies do pay for maternity & even paternity leave) - so many mothers are back in the workforce with days of giving birth. This will be the girl's first reality check as a mother - welcome to the real world.

I agree with the person who suggests if they take time off to "bond & heal" it should be made up, either in extra hours or during summer school unless they can pass the exams to advance. If that means they can't graduate with their class, sorry. I do think that recoving from a birth and studying from home (with or with homebound teachers) shouldn't be considered "unexcused absence" - but, unless the girl in question is in the hospital, she does need to make it to the exams - and needs to get the work done required by the course(s) she is taking.

As far as the whiner who complains schools aren't doing their job teaching pregnancy prevention - this is what comes of abstinence only programs, especially in a society which attempts to sell everything based on sex. Perhaps if the girls & boys involved were as well-informed about sex & (and its consequences & how to avoid them) as the kids are in Europe (which not only has lower abortion rates but higher ages of first sexual experience for both boys & girls) perhaps there wouldn't be so many unwed teen pregnancies. Should abstinence be taught & even encouraged? Absolutely. But these kids also need to know silly little details like the it only takes once to get pregnant or to contract an STD (including HIV) - and that there are ways to minimize those risks - even if they are foolish enough to give in to temptation.

sheilanagig
    Zip Code: 58703
    Full Name: Amber Pieloor
    Participation Points: 285

Take Away Their Future?
    Posted: 11:10 am, Mon Jan 07 6 points (10 total votes)

"and yes it's the girl's fault"? I must have skipped that part in biology. The part I caught said that it takes two.

As for that, it's not as if teenagers know what they're doing most of the time. I imagine most of us messed up when we were that age, and there is always a chance that you'll mess up in a way you can't change. I don't think these girls should have to pay with their whole future for a teenage mistake. Not getting a diploma will make it hard for them to raise a child in a good environment, and more poor children is not what we need. Instead of passing judgment and saying that it's her own fault, deal with the consequences, why don't we put our grand words about caring for children into practice and actually try to make the world better. People make mistakes. It's not fair to ask them to pay for it with all of the potential they might have had.

soupsahn
    Zip Code: 80231 *
    Full Name: Kerry Sales
    Participation Points: 731

No special treatment for pregnant teens or new high school t
    Posted: 11:12 am, Mon Jan 07 -5 points (7 total votes)

It's not the schools fault that these teens can't keep their legs closed. There should be no special treatment or opportunities. These girls made the decision to have sex at a young age and deal with the consequences. Well, this is one of those consequences. Deal with it. You want time to bond with your child, take a year off and come back and graduate the following year.

bpshow

Full Name: Bryan Pourchot
    Participation Points: 122

There is no need for this!
    Posted: 11:24 am, Mon Jan 07 -3 points (5 total votes)

I believe that if the schools do go ahead with a 4 week leave of abscence for high school mothers, then if would be a big mistake. This is like saying it is okay for kids to go out and do these things. If the girl decides to get pregnant, or put themselves at risk for doing so, then they should face the consequences whether that be taking longer to graduate or dropping out altogether. If they want to be treated as adults, then that is the adult decision that needs to be made if you want to put yourself at risk. I dated many girls in high school, and one of the easiest decisions for them to make was to say no to the guy they are dating. If the guy disagrees with that wish, then the girl should not be with him, plain and simple. I have recently graduated college as an engineer which is not an easy thing to do, but I have seen single and married mothers young and old complete the ordeal with flying colors. This was not always an easy course for them, but they wanted to have children and have a career as an engineer, so they took the necessary steps to make this happen. I am not speaking to you about women that have children by the result of a rape, but to those that wish to, by their own supposedly sound mind and judgement, take place in such acts that will lead to them getting pregnant.

Campbell

Full Name: John
    Participation Points: 3776

A Little Discipline and Love Please
    Posted: 11:31 am, Mon Jan 07 -2 points (4 total votes)

I commend Mary on her opinion, which in many respects brings us to family values and discipline. Are these girls from broken homes? Do their parents abuse them? Do their parents belong to swing clubs and promote this type of adolescent behavior? That really is none of our business. Is it American taxpayer responsibility to pay for a pregnant girls care. I say no. It is the parents responsibility and obligation to provide care for their children, even if their child bears a child. Lets get back to basics folks and stop avoiding the responsibility of being a parent.

Proud Blue Star Mom

Full Name: Marie Trujillo
    Participation Points: 266

Posted: 11:49 am, Mon Jan 07 3 points (3 total votes)

OMGosh! These are not immaculate conceptions that happened to these girls. What sort of modern day thinking is it that condemns the girls and wants them to suffer bad consequences of their actions and totally ignores that this was a team mistake, not a sole performer event!

The sooner they get back into school the better. They need an education more now than ever, since they are responsible for their helpless child.

Very little has been said about the "dads". Are they misguided teens or adult males preying on inexperienced young girls? What are they doing to step up to the responsibility of parenthood?

Azryela
    Zip Code: 87120
    Full Name: Angela H

Posted: 12:07 pm, Mon Jan 07 -4 points (6 total votes)

Those kids CHOSE to get pregnant. Why should we reward them?

redrotor
    Zip Code: 20252
    Full Name: Red Rotor
    Participation Points: 3811

Posted: 12:08 pm, Mon Jan 07 6 points (6 total votes)

I think they should get the leave. I have major problems with teens getting pregnant but I'm not interested in consequences that put the mother and her child at economic risk or otherwise. That is to the detriment of society as a whole and has us punishing people who, quite frankly, don't know better and have no realization of consequences.

More importantly, I don't hear anything about the role of teen fathers.

If she is having the baby and taking 4 weeks off school for health and bonding, then he should have to transition to a half-school, half-work program that has him earning money right away to support. If her life's trajectory changed irrevocably, then so should his. If for some reason the teen father is incapable of fulfilling that role, the parent(s) of the father should be charged a support cost until the father is 18 years old.

I would make this mandatory until the age of 18 with programs that transition into child support and so on if the couple winds up not marrying. To me that is a consequence that is a deterrent without making vulnerable people at greater risk.

doggy
    Zip Code: 95817
    Full Name: thomas
    Participation Points: 968

Posted: 12:29 pm, Mon Jan 07 -2 points (4 total votes)

How about pregnant girls understand that it is their responsibility and not the School districts. Now that these delusional adolescents are pregnant, the real world has suddenly slapped them back to reality. So sorry, but my kids are in school to learn and don't need to be interrupted mid-term by your spawning vacation. And please put sex education back in school so the rest of us don't have to deal with the next generation of misfits.

mbernica
    Zip Code: 80134
    Full Name: Marc Bernica
    Participation Points: 255

Posted: 12:29 pm, Mon Jan 07 -2 points (2 total votes)

Getting some time off isn't that big of a deal as long as it doesn't cost taxpayers anything. Take the time off. When you come back you'll just be a semester behind your peers - which shouldn’t be that big of a deal to you if you really want your education. Just don’t expect us to keep you caught up or pay for your child care with taxpayer money.

Let's be serious, if education was a primary concern for most of these girls they wouldn't get pregnant in the first place.

beachgirl

Full Name: jojo wp
    Participation Points: 111

Birth leave for girls
    Posted: 12:38 pm, Mon Jan 07 2 points (2 total votes)

One thing to note - DPS does have a school designed for pregnant and parenting girls: The Florence Crittenton School. It offers academic classes, parenting programs and on-site daycare. It also has a Young Fathers Program which offers support for the dads. Funny how this was not mentioned in the article since the Florence Crittenton School has been around for over 20 years in association with DPS and serves approximately 170 students at one time.

archiedebunker
    Zip Code: 80233 *
    Full Name: archie
    Participation Points: 2232

Posted: 12:40 pm, Mon Jan 07 -7 points (7 total votes)

Yeah, right. Let's do EVERYTHING we possibly can to encourage young girls to get pregnant. Lets set up fertility clinics in the 8th grade to help provide advice to those who may have trouble becoming pregnant before their sophomore year. Oh, and let's not forget awards. How about a special night for mothers and their illegitimate babies - - you know, with prizes for the smallest birthweight, smallest head, fewest motor skills, etc.? Oh, and their could be special awards for those mothers whose babies were born addicted to crack cocaine or alcohol! Yeah, that's it! Let's get rid of whatever little social stigma still exists for getting pregnant when you have zero (as in "no") means of support for the baby. That's the Great Liberal Social Ideal in action! No doubt about it.

What an incredible CROCK!

mathguy
    Zip Code: 80501
    Full Name: Math Guy
    Participation Points: 211

math lesson
    Posted: 12:46 pm, Mon Jan 07 1 points (3 total votes)

Math lesson. 54.5 of 1000 students who may become pregnant in Denver is around 5% of the student population. 24.3 of 10000 is about 1% for the rest of student population in Colorado.

BicentennialBaby
    Zip Code: 80023
    Full Name: Bicentennial Baby
    Participation Points: 303

Posted: 12:47 pm, Mon Jan 07 5 points (5 total votes)

Redrotor has it right...

This is an issue where we need to put aside our personal beliefs for the betterment of society.

It's easy to condemn if you haven't been there.

Teenagers are still children; their brains aren't fully developed and it is unreasonable and unwise to expect them to always make the right decisions. Heck, even adults don't make the "right" decisions half the time!

Last edited by BicentennialBaby on 1:02 pm, Mon Jan 07; edited 1 time in total

karmagirl
    Zip Code: 80226 *
    Full Name: Tasha
    Participation Points: 7056

Posted: 12:58 pm, Mon Jan 07 4 points (6 total votes)

archiedebunker wrote:
    Yeah, right. Let's do EVERYTHING we possibly can to encourage young girls to get pregnant. Lets set up fertility clinics in the 8th grade to help provide advice to those who may have trouble becoming pregnant before their sophomore year. Oh, and let's not forget awards. How about a special night for mothers and their illegitimate babies - - you know, with prizes for the smallest birthweight, smallest head, fewest motor skills, etc.? Oh, and their could be special awards for those mothers whose babies were born addicted to crack cocaine or alcohol! Yeah, that's it! Let's get rid of whatever little social stigma still exists for getting pregnant when you have zero (as in "no") means of support for the baby. That's the Great Liberal Social Ideal in action! No doubt about it.

What an incredible CROCK!

You'd rather have these girls drop out of school, go on welfare, and use your tax dollars to support them and their children the rest of their lives?

This plan doesn't encourage anyone to have children. It does, however, help young mothers finish school which greatly increased the odds of them finding a good enough job to be able to support themselves and their child. How exactly is that a bad thing?

Actually, Archie, it's the "Great Liberal Social Ideal" that is trying to lower the number of teenage parents by providing realistic sex education in schools, unlike your conservative "abstinence only" garbage. It's the "Great Liberal Social Ideal" that allows Planned Parenthood to provide condoms to those who need them in order to lessen the number of girls who get pregnant. It's the "Great Liberal Social Idealists" who recognize that even though most shouldn't, kids will still have sex. The "Great Liberal Social Idealists" know that further punishing teenage parents will create situations in which the children born to these parents are more likely to have kids at a young age, furthering this cycle.

I can see it Now..... a New Hooked on Phonics Phrase

Can you say Anchor Baby? Sure, I knew you could!

This way to recieve all of the new entitlements

You know in all seriousness I have mixed emotions about this.

If any segment of society is going to need an education, it's them.

The thing is, I think they way these things are presented actually encourage or at least doesn't discourage these pregnancies.

If we ever, ever, get this country back on track, we are going to have to speak some very harsh truths.

One of them is you should not have children if you can't afford to care for them. It's not the responsibility of the rest of society to pay for their upkeep. It's one thing to lend a helping hand when one is truly needy - it's another to create an atmosphere where it is encouraged and even deemed a 'badge of honor'.

Actually, Archie, it's the "Great Liberal Social Ideal" that is trying to lower the number of teenage parents by providing realistic sex education in schools, unlike your conservative "abstinence only" garbage.
    Yeah and that's working out just wonderful itsn't it. The stigma has been removed and that's why there are more preganancies. When all the "realistic" sex ed came along, so did the unwed mothers. It's not hard to connect the dots of a liberal, no-fault philosophy and trying to mitigate consequences, as policy, is totally wrong.

are we missing ssomething here?? school is for CHILDREN. any pregnant underage girl should be removed from school system as soon as faculty is aware, and followed by a full investigation by police, and family services!!! what are these idiots thinking? these girls are being sexually exploited, and the school system is ALLOWING it.