Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Birthright citizenship; closing this loophole is good first

Birthright citizenship; closing this loophole is good first step to stopping illegal immigration

San Gabriel Valley Tribune (California)
    January 15, 2011
    By Rep. Gary Miller

Since our nation's founding, the United States has been a beacon of individual liberty, free enterprise, and opportunity.

As a result, people from all across the globe have immigrated to the United States to live fuller, freer lives. We are a nation of immigrants united under the American flag and legal immigration has paved the way for millions to pursue the American Dream.

Although we have a robust and generous legal immigration system, many have blatantly broken the law and come to the United States illegally.

While America is a welcoming society, we have a duty to protect the citizens and legal residents of this country by enforcing our current immigration laws and closing loopholes that facilitate illegal immigration.

This includes ending automatic citizenship to the children of illegal immigrants.

America must close this loophole because it misinterprets the true meaning of the Fourteenth Amendment, costs legal American taxpayers billions annually, and encourages even more illegal immigration.

As originally written, the citizenship clause in the Fourteenth Amendment was intended to guarantee citizenship to all freed slaves.

However, a gross misinterpretation of the amendment has created an attractive incentive for illegal immigration.

When observing the debate surrounding the ratification of the amendment, it is clear that the authors intended only to grant citizenship to persons born here who were "subject to the jurisdiction" of the United States.

In fact, one of the authors, Senator Jacob Howard, stated that the Fourteenth Amendment would: "not include persons born in the United States who are foreigners, aliens, who belong to the families of ambassadors, or foreign ministers accredited to the Government of the United States, but will include every other class of persons."

The authors of the Constitution also understood the phrase "subject to the jurisdiction thereof" to have the same meaning as the phrase "and not subject to any foreign Power," included in the Civil Rights Act of 1866.

It would be difficult to argue that illegal immigrants and temporary visitors are not subject to a foreign power or that they do not owe allegiance to anybody but the United States.

America must also end birthright citizenship for children of illegal immigrants because it costs American taxpayers billions of dollars annually.

At present, America's national debt is rapidly approaching a record $14 trillion dollars.

At the same time, one study found that illegal immigration costs taxpayers upward of over $113 billion each year and automatic citizenship to the children of illegal immigrants is contributing to this astronomical cost.

In fact, in 2010 there were over 300,000 births in the United States to illegal immigrant mothers.

By granting children of illegal immigrants' citizenship, the child can eventually anchor an entire family into the United States, even though they gained access to our nation illegally.

Consequently, the child - and potentially their family - will have access to a wide array of taxpayer-funded benefits, including access to a U.S. education and recently enacted government-run health care.

In these very difficult economically challenging times, there is no reason that hard-working American families should be forced to bear these costs.

Some may argue that it is "unfair" to deny children of illegal immigrants' citizenship.

However the primary responsibility of the federal government is to protect the interests of legal U.S. citizens and residents, and not those individuals who willingly and outright violate or manipulate our immigration laws.

Ultimately, it is the parents who bear the responsibility for placing their children in this difficult situation.

All in all, it is wrong to grant birthright citizenship to children of illegal immigrants because it undermines the Constitution, contributes to our nation's fiscal mess, and rewards those that have broken our nation's immigration laws.

It is time now to act and end automatic citizenship for children of illegal immigrants and Congress has the ability to do this now.

Section 5 of the Fourteenth Amendment explicitly delegates to Congress the right to legislate how the provisions of the Fourteenth Amendment are to be applied. As a result, Congress could legislatively undo this misrepresentation. The solution is simple and Americans are ready for meaningful change.

Although ending birthright citizenship for the children of illegal immigrants is not the end-all be-all for America's nation's illegal immigration woes, it will be a giant step in the right direction and will greatly reduce the illegal immigration magnet.

The United States is one of the few remaining developed countries to grant citizenship to all children born on its soil and it is time to put an end to this practice.

Rep. Gary Miller represents California's 42nd Congressional District and is an original co-sponsor of H.R. 140, the Birthright Citizenship Act.

http://www6.lexisnexis.com/publisher/En ... 17&start=4

I bet if they really checked in to this ,they would find a much higher number.
    At the same time, one study found that illegal immigration costs taxpayers upward of over $113 billion each year and automatic citizenship to the children of illegal immigrants is contributing to this astronomical cost.
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

Absolutely! Everyone should support HR 140, which I believe is this Congress's version of the last bill HB 1868.

Yes, after checking the new bill, it is exactly like the HB 1868 of the last Congress. Here is the text which should answer some questions that some had about this change in practice through a clarifying law:

January 5, 2011

Mr. KING of Iowa (for himself, Mr. GINGREY of Georgia, Mr. GARY G. MILLER of California, and Mr. WOODALL) introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on the Judiciary

A BILL

To amend section 301 of the Immigration and Nationality Act to clarify those classes of individuals born in the United States who are nationals and citizens of the United States at birth.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `Birthright Citizenship Act of 2011'.

SEC. 2. CITIZENSHIP AT BIRTH FOR CERTAIN PERSONS BORN IN THE UNITED STATES.

(a) In General- Section 301 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1401) is amended--

(1) by inserting `(a) IN GENERAL- ' before `The following';

(2) by redesignating subsections (a) through (h) as paragraphs (1) through (, respectively; and

(3) by adding at the end the following:

`(b) Definition- Acknowledging the right of birthright citizenship established by section 1 of the 14th amendment to the Constitution, a person born in the United States shall be considered `subject to the jurisdiction' of the United States for purposes of subsection (a)(1) if the person is born in the United States of parents, one of whom is--

`(1) a citizen or national of the United States;

`(2) an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence in the United States whose residence is in the United States; or

`(3) an alien performing active service in the armed forces (as defined in section 101 of title 10, United States Code).'.

(b) Applicability- The amendment made by subsection (a)(3) shall not be construed to affect the citizenship or nationality status of any person born before the date of the enactment of this Act.
    As you can see, it does not affect the citizenship or nationality status of any person born before the date of this Act when passed, only those born after that date.

Lets all get behind this bill and end the asinine practice of granting automatic birthright citizenship to children of illegal aliens.

Lets also pay close attention to what Congress is doing with their annual new legal immigration numbers which is the issuance of green cards. We need to put a halt to that, have a moratorium for 5 to 10 years until all illegal aliens are out of the country, and then maintain the number as low as possible but not above the 1970's replacement number as Roy Beck and NumbersUSA suggest.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Years ago I heard the number was something like 40,000.00 dollars per illegal alien it was costing taxpayers. That was from an older broadcast here in N Carolina. They are not even sure how many are here and estimates as high as 21 MILLION or low as 10 MILLION.

That would put you more in the range of 400,000,000,000 to 800,000,000,000 BILLION dollars a year.
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

They should exclude citizenship if Either Parent is a Illegal Alien or visiting tourists otherwise a whole new industry will develope called "Get Pregnant By a USA Citizen" to gain citizenship for your child.
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want,is strong enough to take everything you have"* Thomas Jefferson

They should exclude citizenship if Either Parent is a Illegal Alien or visiting tourists otherwise a whole new industry will develope called "Get Pregnant By a USA Citizen" to gain citizenship for your child.
    I don't think they should go that far with it because that would take away U.S citizens rights based on who they have relations with. The Nazi Nuremberg Laws included a ban on sexual intercourse between people defined as "Jews" and non-Jewish Germans. How would having one illegal parent make someone less of a citizen, If life in the U.S is all they've ever known?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by busygirl
    I don't think they should go that far with it because that would take away U.S citizens rights based on who they have relations with. The Nazi Nuremberg Laws included a ban on sexual intercourse between people defined as "Jews" and non-Jewish Germans. How would having one illegal parent make someone less of a citizen, If life in the U.S is all they've ever known?
    That's exactly what the 'dreamers" say! And this is NOT about someones race, ethnicity or religious views, it is about ILLEGAL or LEGAL!

Why you would bring up nazi germany on this issue is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by OneNationUnderGod
    That's exactly what the 'dreamers" say! And this is NOT about someones race, ethnicity or religious views, it is about ILLEGAL or LEGAL!

Why you would bring up nazi germany on this issue is beyond me.
    I'm scratching my head too OneNation ????

No body is saying who you can have sex with just who can have USA citizenship.
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want,is strong enough to take everything you have"* Thomas Jefferson

I don't think they should take some one's citizenship away or deny them cause they have one illegal parent and one U.S. citizen parent as USPatriot suggested. If they started doing that then yeah it would be similar to Nazi law and it's offensive to suggest it. This has nothing to do with "Dreamers". It would be wrong to deny a newborn citizenship and take it from it's U.S. citizen parent and give it to an illegal parent to be taken back to a foreign country.

Banned
    I don't think they should take some one's citizenship away or deny them cause they have one illegal parent and one U.S. citizen parent as USPatriot suggested. If they started doing that then yeah it would be similar to Nazi law and it's offensive to suggest it. This has nothing to do with "Dreamers". It would be wrong to deny a newborn citizenship and take it from it's U.S. citizen parent and give it to an illegal parent to be taken back to a foreign country.

If the U.S citizen parent knew they were "having relations" with a illegal alien, then that's on them. They would know what the consequences could be. An anchor baby

Quoting you: "If life in the U.S is all they know". That's what the dreamers who want amnesty say all the time. If they are newborn they wouldn't know the difference anyway.

This has nothing to do with who you want to have sex with or not, but if a anchor baby is born in this country the tax payers do not want to pay for it.

Again, why would you bring up nazi germany?

This is about American citizens having to pay for these anchors who should have never been consided citizens in the first place.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast