http://cbs2.com/local/local_story_112202507.html

Apr 22, 2006 5:20 pm US/Pacific

Black Groups, Minutemen To Join Forces For Rally

(CBS) LOS ANGELES A few African American groups plan to join members of the Minuteman Project Sunday to protest illegal immigration, called the “biggest threat to blacks in America since slavery” by organizer Ted Hayes.

The protest will begin at 1 p.m. Sunday in Leimert Park and is being organized by Hayes’ Crispus Attucks Brigade and the American Black Citizens Opposed to Illegal Immigration Invasion.

Hayes, a homeless activist, says that illegal immigration compounds the problem of black homelessness, especially in Los Angeles, because African Americans refuse to work for the “slave wages” that many illegal immigrants accept.

Several large pro-immigration rallies in recent weeks have been calling for amnesty for the nation’s estimated 12 million illegal immigrants.

Many Southland politicians, including Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, support the pro-immigration protesters.

"While all Americans are suffering from this invasion, we blacks are suffering the most," Hayes said. "We feel like the leaders promoting this issue are being insensitive. This country wasn't built on the backs of immigrants like (Villaraigosa) says. It was built on the back of West African slaves."

Villaraigosa was not immediately available for comment.

Immigrant activist Nativo Lopez dismissed Hayes and said that he is out of step with most black leaders.

"Unfortunately, (Hayes) thinks that way," Lopez said. "He has a right to express his opinion, but I don't agree with him. Many and most African American leaders think otherwise and we're appreciative of their support."

Lopez said blacks and Hispanics face the same problems.

"I'm not interested in Latinos being pitted against African Americans," he said. "We are all in the same boat. We will pull ourselves up together."

The Minuteman Project is a group of civilians who guard the Mexican border. The group's founder, Jim Gilchrist, may attend Sunday’s rally along with some other members, Hayes said. He said members of the Minuteman Project have an unfair reputation as "rednecks" or racist.

"I've been down to the border with them. They're not racist," Hayes said. "They don't care what color you are."