Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar

Blackburn knocks Homeland immigration enforcement effort

By Bartholomew Sullivan (Contact), Memphis Commercial Appeal
    Friday, August 1, 2008

U.S. Rep. Marsha Blackburn, R-Tenn., has written a letter to House appropriations and homeland security committee members critical of efforts she says will weaken Department of Homeland Security abilities to partner with local police in enforcing immigration laws.

The letter, dated today and signed by Blackburn and 48 other House members, asks that language be dropped from a draft spending bill that prohibits spending on agreements with local law enforcement agencies that have not been reviewed to assure they "maximize the identification of aliens who are unlawfully present in the U.S. and have been convicted of dangerous crimes."

The law establishing the federal-local partnerships is referred to as Sec. 287(g). There are 55 such agreements in place and another 80 applications pending across the country. The program in Metropolitan Nashville-Davidson County has resulted in the deportation of roughly 3,000 illegal immigrants, Blackburn noted. Memphis and Shelby County do not have 287(g) agreements.

"Tennessee's implementation of the 287(g) program is a success story, and proves that partnerships between local law enforcement organizations and the federal government work," Blackburn said in a statement Thursday.

"This successful track record contrasts with the federal bureaucracy, which has historically proved unwilling or unable to enforce immigration law. My colleagues and I believe Congress should support, and not cut the legs out from underneath, a program that is working to deport criminal illegal aliens from the U.S.," she added.

But in Memphis, immigration lawyers said the program is neither universally popular nor always humanely implemented.

"I think it's a myth that most law enforcement officials want their communities to pass 287(g) laws," said immigration lawyer Greg Siskind. "In the communities that have these laws, they typically have been used to target people for relatively innocuous offenses like jaywalking and speeding tickets and have no impact in reducing the crime rate. Actually, they probably have the opposite effect -- immigrants become afraid of any interaction with the police and ... fail to report crimes."

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/20 ... nd-effort/
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW
    The title of this article is a little misleading. The title could lead one to believe that Rep. Blackburn is against enforcement, which is clearly not the case as is explained in the article.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

"I think it's a myth that most law enforcement officials want their communities to pass 287(g) laws," said immigration lawyer Greg Siskind.
    Any FACTS ?
    Nam vet 1967/1970 Skull & Bones can KMA .Bless our Brothers that gave their all ..It also gives me the right to Vote for Chuck Baldwin 2008 POTUS . NOW or never*

That's what I first thought too MW.

But coming from a city and county that have both applied for 287g I read this with interest. I hope this letter, with all it's signatures, is heard and responded to.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I wrote the author of the article, Bartholomew Sullivan:

Your headline:

"Blackburn knocks Homeland immigration enforcement effort"

is entirely incorrect.

It should read:

Blackburn knocks House Appropriations Committee

U.S. Rep. Marsha Blackburn, R-Tenn., has written a letter to House Appropriations and Homeland Security committee members critical of efforts she says will weaken Department of Homeland Security abilities to partner with local police in enforcing immigration laws. "This successful track record contrasts with the federal bureaucracy, which has historically proved unwilling or unable to enforce immigration law. My colleagues and I believe Congress should support, and not cut the legs out from underneath, a program that is working to deport criminal illegal aliens from the U.S.," she added.

Can anyone find a link to the letter that was sent???

Please post it, if you do, thanks. I looked on her website and didn't find it.

To: buzzm1
    Cc: Cerbin, Carolyn <CerbinC@commercialappeal.com>
    Subject: RE: Message via the Web site
    Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 11:54 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buzzm1: I don't write headlines but I will forward your point to the
    correct person. You're absolutely right. Thank you for taking the
    effort.

Quote Originally Posted by MW
    The title of this article is a little misleading. The title could lead one to believe that Rep. Blackburn is against enforcement, which is clearly not the case as is explained in the article.
    That is exactly what I thought until I read it....

Besides when did we give amnesty to the millions that crossed the border who have committed the crime of entering our country illegally....Something tells me they are trying to pull the wool over our eyes...they should ALL be deported

I smell something going wrong here, they are getting way off track and taking Americans with them.
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)