BLOOMINGTON, Ind. (WISH) - The city of Bloomington has established a boycott that prevents travel to Arizona by city employees and new contracts with any business based in Arizona.

A letter announcing the boycott that was sent to Arizona Governor Jan Brewer. It says that the new Arizona law "essentially legalizes racial profiling."

Businesses in the city of Bloomington are encouraged to follow suit. The letter asks them to refrain from doing business with the state of Arizona and it asks residents to avoid engaging in tourism in the state of Arizona.

The letter is signed by eight of the nine city council members, the mayor and the city clerk.

Councilmember Chris Sturbaum spearheaded the effort.

"I was a wrestler," said Sturbaum, "and what I always looked for was leverage and where do you find some leverage but saying, ‘We can affect this community economically.’"

Brad Wisler is the only council member to withhold his signature, though he says he is still opposed to the Arizona law, which requires police to check the documentation of suspected illegal immigrants.

"It didn't make sense to me to state our opposition to discrimination by discriminating," he said.

Hispanic leaders in Bloomington pushed for the boycott and praised its creation.

"We do need changes in immigration," says Daniel Soto. "We do need to protect our border but not that way."

http://www.wishtv.com/dpp/news/politics ... ration-law