Exclusive: Bolivia Demands that Coca Cola Change its Name?

Michael Cutler
Author: Michael Cutler
Source: The Family Security Foundation, Inc.
Date: March 26, 2007

Evo Morales, President Boliva

Six years after the worst terrorist attack ever committed against the United States, the administration still provides an illusion that our border has been secured by positioning National Guard troops along the southern border while still lacking an adequate number of Border Patrol agents. FSM contributing editor Michael Cutler examines the deterioration of respect for America ‘south of the border.’ Is it time for a tougher policy regarding our Central and South American neighbors?

Bolivia Demands that Coca Cola Change its Name?

By Michael Cutler

Sometimes the reported news stories are so bizarre I wonder if I am not dreaming as I read the many stories that are published on a daily basis. On several occasions I have spoken on radio shows about how our nation has reacted to terrorist attacks.

I have frequently made the point that if a highly recognized writer such as Tom Clancy had written a political novel in 1990 predicting a number of violent events including the killing of two CIA employees and the wounding of three others by Amir Kansi, a Pakistani national; the first attack on the World Trade Center on February 26. 1993; the attacks of September 11, 2001 and various thwarted attacks and then wrote about how our nation's borders remained largely undefended and the immigration system remained as inept and incompetent at weeding out fraud, no publisher would have been willing to publish his book.

If Clancy had included the fact that the President of the United States permitted the Transit Without Visa Program to continue for 23 months after the worst terrorist attack ever committed on our soil and the Visa Waiver Program was permitted to continue on, his publisher and friends would have recommended that he seek psychiatric help!

Add to the plot of this hypothetical novel the fact that many "leaders" in both houses of Congress and from both parties called for a Guest Worker Amnesty Program which would allow millions of illegal aliens into our country with authority to remain in the United States. If that policy isn’t dangerous enough, consider that this proposed program would also provide these “guest workers” with official identity documents, even though their true identities are largely unknown and ultimately unknowable

. For good measure, throw in such fiascos as the naturalization of some 30,000 aliens even though their immigration alien files were among the 111,000 such files that were lost which means that those aliens' files can not be reviewed in the critically important search for derogatory information. If Clancy had included such a state of affairs, I suspect that the people closest to him would have attempted to have him committed!

Of course, Tom Clancy, a best-selling novelist, did not write that "novel," but the plot I have described is actually to be found in news accounts. It is readily available in GAO and OIG reports of contemporary history written by our supposed leaders who have been greatly influenced by various deep-pocketed interest groups. These people have put greed ahead of national security and the safety of our citizens. These “leaders” are those who value political power over morality and the survival of our nation and the well being of their fellow Americans.

Consider this article from the Washington Times as an example of diminishing respect for America. Coke vs.Bolivia in the 'dignity' stakes Clearly, this would be laughable if you were reading it a decade or more ago. In this day and age, I do not find the story to be amusing. It is all the more disconcerting, because it is true. The President of Bolivia has obviously become emboldened by the extreme reluctance demonstrated by the current Bush administration to secure the southern border of the United States, even though that porous border facilitates the flood of illegal aliens to enter our country along with criminals, narcotics and potentially terrorists and their weapons.

In a few short months, our country will mark the sixth anniversary of the worst terrorist attack ever committed against the United States. Nevertheless, the administration is still attempting to provide an illusion that our border has been secured by positioning National Guard troops along the southern border while we still lack an adequate number of Border Patrol agents. Worse, the arrest, prosecution and imprisonment of Border Patrol Agents - Ramos and Compean ( and others), the beleaguered Border Patrol agents have been sent a clear message. If you enforce the laws and attempt to repel and/or arrest smugglers, you may lose your jobs, your freedom and your ability to support your families. Judging from the shocking Ramos-Compean prosecution and its outcome, we can draw the conclusion that if just one miscreant illegal alien makes a single allegation concerning the “violation of his civil rights,” the careers of any Border Patrol agent is in daily jeopardy.

On the other hand, if agents are intimidated so that they hesitate in responding to life or death situations, it could well cost them their lives! The administration boasts that our border is more secure because arrests are down. Could it be that arrests are down because the Border Patrol agents have been intimidated by our very own government?

Mexico takes its immigration laws extremely seriously. Recently, they even protested loudly when United States Border Patrol agents crossed into Mexico to put out a brush fire! They were outraged that their sovereign borders had been violated by our agents who were attempting to carry out a humanitarian mission! The administration talks about cooperation with Mexico, yet Mexico seems to be playing the music and our government is more than willing to dance to the music being played!

It seems that when President Bush compromises with the government of Mexico, Mexico does what it wants and the United States does what Mexico wants! Is it any wonder, then, that Bolivia's leaders, in witnessing what has passed for leadership by our government officials, have apparently become so emboldened as to make the outrageous statements about the coca crops that they grow and the name of one of America's most successful sodas - Coca Cola - as detailed in Coke vs.Bolivia in the 'dignity' stakes ?

What is next?

Will we be told that under the Security and Prosperity Partnership (SPP), the United States will have to permit trucks being driven from Mexico into the United States to freely haul cocaine into the United States, under the threat that Mexico will refuse to participate in the insane SPP program?

When I was growing up, my parents taught me that I would teach people around me how to treat me. They said that if I refused to stand my ground I would find myself getting pushed around! In the "old days" my dad, who was a construction worker, was upset to see me being beaten up by a couple of the schoolyard bullies when I was in Junior High School. He sent me to a local gym to build my muscles and take boxing lessons so that I could learn to defend myself. As you may imagine his strategy worked. After I turned the tables on those schoolyard thugs and beat up a couple of them, the nonsense stopped!

My dad provided me with a couple of rules of engagement that our country would do well to follow: He told me to never through the first punch but to make damn sure I threw the last punch! The other rule was, "If anyone ever throws a punch at you, never again walk past them with your hands in your pockets!"

Why should any other country take the United States, its borders or its laws seriously, if our nation's own leaders show such contempt for them?

Lead, follow or get out of the way!

FamilySecurityMatters.org Contributing Editor Michael Cutler is a Fellow at the Center for Immigration Studies and a well-respected authority on immigration and border security issues.

© 2003-2007 FamilySecurityMatters.org All Rights Reserved

If you are a reporter or producer who is interested in receiving more information about this writer or this article, please email your request to COY7m@aol.com.

Note -- The opinions expressed in this column are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, and/or philosophy of The Family Security Foundation, Inc.

Click here to support Family Security Matters

http://www.familysecuritymatters.org/gl ... ?id=833856