Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar

Border fence concerns : Sunland Park reacts to construction

Border fence concerns: Sunland Park reacts to construction
    By Adriana M. Chávez / El Paso Times
    Article Launched: 06/01/2008 12:00:00 AM MDT

Sunland Park, N.M. resident Manuel Romero looked out over the area of the new border fence from his sideyard Wednesday. (Victor Calzada / El Paso Times)
    Video: Border fence being built through Columbus, New Mexico.

As Sunland Park resident Martha Venegas watered her lush front lawn, in a neighborhood shadowed by the construction of the border fence, she said the barrier will do little to prevent illegal immigration.

"It's not going to keep them (undocumented immigrants) away," said Venegas, adding that she first noticed the fence while walking with her husband along the track at Sunland Park Elementary School. "More people are going to get hurt in the process of jumping it."

Watching her young grandson play, she added, "Let's put ourselves in their place. Their government doesn't care for the people. If I were there, I'd want to come here, too."

About 3.75 miles of fencing are going up near the New Mexico-Mexico border and near the Camino Real Landfill as part of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security's effort to secure the border.

Although Venegas said she and her neighbors have been discussing the fence as it moves closer to Sunland Park proper, Doña Ana County Commissioner Dolores Saldaña-Caviness, who lives in Sunland Park, said she

hasn't heard any concerns about the fence from her constituents.
    "I have not received any calls regarding the fence, and I'm kind of surprised," Saldaña-Caviness said.

Venegas, who has lived in Sunland Park for about 50 years, has talked about the fence with fellow residents, who she said feel the same way. "If they (undocumented immigrants) have to bring a 20-foot ladder to cross, they'll bring it," she said.

However, residents such as Rosario Rivera, who has lived in Sunland Park for 13 years, feel that the fence is good for the community. "I've heard about people crossing over (the existing chain-link fence) and I think the new fence will do better in keeping (illegals) out," Rivera said in Spanish. "I've talked to my neighbor about it, and we agree with it."

In the past, some residents have raised concerns about the fence crossing over Mount Cristo Rey. U.S. Border Patrol spokesman Agent Ramiro Cordero said that is one of the biggest misconceptions about the fence.

"It's only being placed where it needs a fence," he said. "For example, some areas in New Mexico won't see a fence but another kind of vehicle barrier. This fence (near Sunland Park) serves a dual purpose as both a vehicle and pedestrian barrier."

Last week, El Paso County commissioners voted to join two lawsuits challenging the Department of Homeland Security's procedures of getting land to build the fence. "We aren't trying to stop construction, we're trying to get (the Department of Homeland Security) to follow federal, state and local laws during construction," County Commissioner Veronica Escobar said.

El Paso City Council has also spoken out against cooperating with the Department of Homeland Security to build the fence within city limits.

The fencing in El Paso, which will be 15 to 18 feet in height, is planned to stretch about 57 miles and contain 21 miles of lights, from Socorro to the Fabens port of entry. Other project details include eight bridges across irrigation canals in El Paso and Hudspeth counties and roadwork. The government hopes to complete the 670-mile security fence sometime this year.

Monday, the Border Network for Human Rights will call a news conference to present a petition signed by residents in El Paso County and Southern New Mexico asking Homeland Security officials to stop construction.

Copies of the petition will be given to county commissioners, local Border Patrol officials, and state and federal elected officials Monday and to City Council on Tuesday, said Fernando Garcia, the group's executive director.

Adriana M. Chávez may be reached at achavez@elpasotimes.com;546-6117.

http://www.elpasotimes.com/news/ci_9442123
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW
    Watching her young grandson play, she added, "Let's put ourselves in their place. Their government doesn't care for the people. If I were there, I'd want to come here, too."
    Wanting to come here is not a justification for actually doing it (not illegally).

However, residents such as Rosario Rivera, who has lived in Sunland Park for 13 years, feel that the fence is good for the community. "I've heard about people crossing over (the existing chain-link fence) and I think the new fence will do better in keeping (illegals) out," Rivera said in Spanish. "I've talked to my neighbor about it, and we agree with it."
    This is prove positive of what I've always suspected. Not all Hispanic resident along the border are against the fence.

Unfortunately I can't bring myself to get overly excited about a single-layer fence, regardless of where it's built. I want to see Duncan Hunter's double-layered fence built across the entire border!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

IMO, a fence is like an insect barrier. It will prevent most, but not all insects from crossing. However, combined with removing the food source that the insects are seeking results in a much more effective elimination of the infestation. My humble two cents worth from a "bugs life"
    ...I call on you in the name of Liberty, of patriotism & everything dear to the American character, to come to our aid...

William Barret Travis
    Letter From The Alamo Feb 24, 1836