Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Border fence won't keep determined out

http://www.southbendtribune.com/apps/pb ... =Opinion04
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Article published Feb 10, 2007

Border fence won't keep determined out

An old saying goes something like this: "Locks don't keep the bad guys out, they keep the honest people honest." Spending $49 billion for a fence along the Mexican border is another huge waste of the taxpayers' money. Fences never kept determined people out. More than likely, contractors will get rich maintaining the fence at the taxpayers' expense.

The only way to stop illegal immigrants is to make it undesirable to be here. Employers who knowingly employ illegal aliens should be held accountable and charged with crimes against the American people.

When are our elected officials going to do their jobs? When are they going to start representing the American people? When are we, the American people, going to start holding them responsible?

Leasing American soil to foreigners is a crime against the people. Extorting money from citizens is a crime against the people. Allowing illegal aliens to thrive in our society is a crime against the people. Lying while under oath is a crime. Falsifying prescriptions is a crime. Driving while under the influence is a crime.

It is the obligation of the people to protect our rights and country against all enemies, both domestic and foreign.

Bertran J. Skelton
    South Bend

Grateful

We owe a special debt of gratitude to all our Michiana Goodwill friends:

To our referral and funding sources for making our work possible and for helping those who need us to make the connection.

To our thousands of donors for giving us the capacity to serve those disabled and disadvantaged people.

To our board of directors, for sharing its time, expertise and resources and providing the oversight and counsel the agency needs to move into the future with confidence.

To our employees for choosing careers which make a genuine positive impact on the lives of others.

To our clients for their courage, hard work and drive to become independent. Their success is a joy and inspiration to all who participate in their efforts.

To our community partners, for sharing the tasks involved in meeting clients' needs. No single group or organization can do everything, and we're all more effective when we work collaboratively.

To the neighborhoods in which we work for welcoming our offices and stores, and for supporting our mission.

To government officials for supporting our efforts and removing obstacles to enable us to accomplish our mission.

To the media for helping us to educate the public about our mission and our special needs.

J. Larry Neff
    President/CEO Goodwill Industries of Michiana Inc.
    South Bend

Interaction

I was only a pup when I first started doing anything in local radio back in 1976, so when I read the article in The Tribune on Jan. 14, I just about did a Bart Simpson and "had a cow."

I passed up the lower management position at the then new Concord Mall JC Penney store to make sure that I was on time for my part-time job at WDOW-AM (1440) in Dowagiac. It took 45 minutes to get from Dunlap to Dowagiac.

AM radio has been doing something for listeners since FM took over in 1968: listening to and trying to give the public what it wants. The FM program directors are wrong. The listeners are not just looking for more music with less commercials; they are looking for more interaction.

One reason the personalities at WNIL-AM (1290) have been such fixtures is that they communicate with people and they do not put anyone down. Those general managers and program directors who are stretching their formats as far as they can will only break themselves in the mire of satellite garbage.

What's wrong with pre-announcing and post-announcing a song? In my college classes, they called that ramp in and ramp out.

Debbie Burns Roberts
    Niles

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I HAVE TO DISAGREE !

A Barrier will slow them down.

A barrier will funnel the free flow into area where the border patrol can amass more resources.

A barrier will stop drug laden vehicles from simply driving over our unguarded borders.

The triple fence in San Diego has been 95% effective in stopping the illegal flow of people and drugs. Property values and public safety has dramatically improved on both sides of the border. Normalcy has returned to cities on both sides of the border.

The United States has never attempted to build an effective barrier across its border so it would work if we had the will. Why do you think all of the activist and Mexico are crying so much over the proposed fence:
    IT IS BECAUSE THEY KNOW IT WILL WORK.

R/ Skip

How come no one has thought to put up an electric fence?
    Build the dam fence post haste!

Well if all the OBL's state that a fence won't work, why are sooo opposed to us building it then? Because they know damn well IT WILL WORK.

I like the electric fence idea Nitty. But if that's not feasible, then why not a fence typical to a prison?
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.

you are right sippy, a fence that is used in prisons will suffice, it would make me think twice about climbing a fence with all that sharp razor fence on top!
    Build the dam fence post haste!