Border patrol agent killed: parents speak out
Updated: Dec 17, 2010 8:21 PM PST
Funeral arrangements made for fallen USBP agent

Reporter: Joel Waldman

TUCSON, Ariz. (KGUN9-TV) - Burying a son, brother and uncle. That's what Agent Brian Terry's family is getting ready to do. It's especially sad, considering Brian had it all, along with some bumps and bruises from the rigors of border patrol.

"My wife was rubbing his shoulders because he pulled a muscle in his back. And, she goes, ‘You know how many women would kill to do this? He had a body you would not believe," said Kent Terry, Brian Terry's grief stricken father.

Brian was 6' 2" and his dad Kent, once a bodybuilder himself, tells us his son could bench press 475 pounds. But along with all Brian's brawn also came brains. He was a straight A student; and family told KGUN9 the former marine from Michigan knew what he wanted to do from the time his dad was still able to lift him.

"As a little boy, all's he ever wanted to do was be a cop. That's what he wanted to do; be a cop. So, I think some of that stuff must be in born in him," said stepmother Carolyn Terry.

Brian's grandfather was a cop. And it seems Brian was built for Border Patrol and the elite BORtac, or border tactical unit, which is kind of like SWAT, "They (Border Patrol) say he was the best. He could out run anybody, out bench anybody … he worked out every day faithfully, every day," recalled Carolyn Terry.

That's why Brian's stepmother said no one ever imagined it could be Brian who was gunned down Wednesday morning by a bandit in the remote desert, 19 miles north of the border, "This can't be true! Not Brian because he was so perfect and precise in everything he did. Even his chaplain said out of 400 agents no one could believe it was Brian Terry who got shot," said his stunned stepmother.

Brian's unit was there to flush out bandits and drug runners. So when they got to him first, it was just too much for mom, "You can't even start to tell that (crying). I loved Brian, he just, I just loved Brian," said Carolyn Terry.

Dad Kent, whom Brian took such good care of when he fell and became paralyzed 16 years ago; and Brian questioned it all, his dad now had questions of his own.

"I want to know just one thing? Why, nobody could have beat him straight on. The guy (bandit) had to sneak behind him and shoot him with an AK47? It went through his back spun out the side. And, (the bullet) came out the front through his vest. He's (Brian) shooting with an M14. They got AK47s, a much more powerful rifle. Nothing, nothing; why don't they give him the AK47?" wondered Kent Terry.

Questions that were now spinning all sorts of emotions in Brian's dad, "I lost the best thing I ever had. They got to do something with that damn border. I really hope they do! That guy in the White House (President Obama) ain't doing nothing! He loved this country and he died for it!" added Kent Terry.

"I don't want him to die in vain. Please do something with this border. Don't let another agent get killed. They are the best people in this world! They're helping us. We got a war in Afghanistan. But we should have some troops on that border. And, I mean, some troops," concluded Brian Terry's
http://www.kgun9.com/Global/story.asp?S=13706931