www.whec.com
Posted at: 08/22/2008 04:48:31 PM

Updated at: 08/22/2008 05:49:41 PM

By: Deanna King

Border patrol agents increasing Lake Ontario security

Border patrol agents beef up security along Lake Ontario and in Rochester. Agents say the threat of terrorists entering the country through Canada is as great as Mexico so, they are patrolling beyond the border.

After getting on a greyhound bus in downtown Rochester, our cameras caught two passengers being detained by border patrol agents. Agents say one man was in the country illegally.

Border patrol agent A. J. Price says they search buses, trains and even boats. Their goal is to keep terrorists out of the US. He says, they have intelligence indicating the threat is just as great for terrorists to enter through Canada as through Mexico.

“We’re checking all those areas where anyone who might slip through the cracks is going to congregate to," Price said.

Price says agents detained over 1,000 illegal immigrants last year. Eighty percent of those people have criminal records.

Bridgid Alen rides the bus at least once a month. With high gas prices, it's cheaper than driving to Buffalo but she says, saving money comes at a price. She is bothered by the presence of border patrol agents. “I’ve seen them heckle some people on the bus more than others, I don't know if that's racial profiling or not, but it's a little out of control in my opinion.â€