Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Borders Worth Securing

Borders Worth Securing

By Robert Yoho
    April 21, 2006

When anyone suggests that the United States should deport illegal aliens, the detractors immediately claim that logistically it is impossible. Perhaps. However, it might not be so difficult if many of the illegals voluntarily deported themselves.

Some of you will remember a few years ago, Congress passed an impotent Welfare reform bill. And approximately a year later, there was a significant decrease in the welfare rolls. Despite any claims to the contrary, it had absolutely nothing to do with the substance of the bill. Many of those on welfare mistakenly believed that their benefits would soon be ending, so they sought out employment and voluntarily removed themselves from the system.

I believe much the same thing would happen if President Bush and Congress put some teeth into our laws regarding illegal immigration. Along with the obvious solutions, there are some commonsense things that can be done now to alleviate the problem.

Now before I get started, I must state that I am not opposed to immigration. I am opposed to illegals! And for the rest of this column, I will not fall victim to the political correctness of the day by referring to lawbreakers as "immigrants." They are illegals.

The United States is a nation of immigrants and we are a better people for it. However, that was in the days when our country was referred to as a "melting pot." Nobody uses that phrase anymore. It has fallen out of favor--along with the truth.

Immigrants come to this country and honor our laws. They do not forsake their culture and upbringing, but they quietly assimilate into society. They love the country and become productive members of their communities. They proudly wave American flags and shed a tear when they finally take that precious oath. In addition to their rich native heritage, they long to become "Americans."

Illegals come to this country and demand that we change our culture and upbringing. They insist that we alter our language and documents. They extract voting rights, health care, social security, and other benefits from us. They brazenly flaunt and desecrate our laws by protesting in the streets. They display a shameful contempt for our country and its legal system. They wave Mexican flags without fear that their actions will lead to any serious consequences. Unlike immigrants, who contribute; illegals only consume!

My home is located within moments of the Ohio River, the body of water that separates the states of Ohio and West Virginia. In the past, I have crossed the border looking for work. However, my status as a "guest worker" did not make me eligible for any number of West Virginia benefits. And further, my actions were not illegal. I did not break any laws to work there. But despite that fact, Governor Manchin did not see fit to award me a West Virginia driver's license. I was not eligible to receive a resident's hunting license. My children cannot attend West Virginia University without paying out-of-state fees. And I am sure this inherent "stinginess" by West Virginia is not unusual from state to state. If Americans do not gain these benefits by working across state borders, then why should benefits be given to those who cross international borders? Moreover, why should the Mexican fruit pickers who came here illegally also think they are automatically entitled to steal the apples from America's governmental orchards?

Democrats love illegals because these lawbreakers are constantly demanding more and more of government and that attitude makes them good and loyal party constituents. And besides, they comprise one more class of individuals that liberals can look down upon and also politically exploit.

Republicans tolerate illegals because they are fearful of doing the right thing just out of principle. Instead, they are constantly trying to pander to the politics of the issue and not be labeled as selfish or mean-spirited. No doubt some of the Republicans, as do the Democrats, also profit from the labors of the illegals.

As much as I respect our president, the Commander-in-Chief cannot convince me that he really means business in winning the war against terror when our northern and southern borders are largely unprotected. Because the truth remains: if our country is worth defending, then our borders are worth securing.

---------

Robert Yoho is a freelance writer and former radio talk show host living in Southeast Ohio. He is married and the father of three children. You can contact him at conservatism@yahoo.com

--------------------
    http://www.gopusa.com/commentary/guest/ ... 4211.shtml

My home is located within moments of the Ohio River, the body of water that separates the states of Ohio and West Virginia. In the past, I have crossed the border looking for work. However, my status as a "guest worker" did not make me eligible for any number of West Virginia benefits. And further, my actions were not illegal. I did not break any laws to work there. But despite that fact, Governor Manchin did not see fit to award me a West Virginia driver's license. I was not eligible to receive a resident's hunting license. My children cannot attend West Virginia University without paying out-of-state fees. And I am sure this inherent "stinginess" by West Virginia is not unusual from state to state. If Americans do not gain these benefits by working across state borders, then why should benefits be given to those who cross international borders? Moreover, why should the Mexican fruit pickers who came here illegally also think they are automatically entitled to steal the apples from America's governmental orchards?

finally, somebody else agrees with state's rights
    "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it" George Santayana "Deo Vindice"

Great article. I really liked how he brought out the fact that even as citizens we aren't allowed rights of another state, even when your on the border. I know I certainly didn't. He brought out alot of good points.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Immigrants come to this country and honor our laws. They do not forsake their culture and upbringing, but they quietly assimilate into society. They love the country and become productive members of their communities. They proudly wave American flags and shed a tear when they finally take that precious oath. In addition to their rich native heritage, they long to become "Americans."
    This describes my dad perfectly! He came here legally from India to go to grad school. He didn't want to go back to India. He met my mom at school and got married. He loves it here. He is as American as they come. The interesting thing is that none of his family came here--only him. They really don't like the US but unlike these illegals who come here and show hate, they stayed in their own country. What a concept! At least my dad's family isn't a bunch of hypocrites like these ungrateful illegals are (and their supporters).