Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

OR: Both sides of immigration debate to rally on Capitol ste

Both sides of immigration debate to rally on Capitol steps

THELMA GUERRERO-HUSTON
    GUERRERO-HUSTON

February 3, 2008

Statehouse administrators and Oregon State Police are gearing up for a possible clash Monday between opponents of illegal immigration and those who support the rights of migrant workers.

Both groups plan events on the state Capitol steps.

"We're working with state police to make sure we have enough police presence that day," said Dave Henderson, the state's legislative administrator. "We never know what can happen."

Members of Oregonians for Immigration Reform, who oppose illegal immigration, will be at the Capitol to collect signatures for an initiative they hope to get on the November ballot.

Groups that support migrant workers -- CAUSA, PCUN and Centro Cultural of Washington County -- will be there to rally against two separate but similar measures that call for proof of legal presence to get an Oregon driver's license. They also plan to register eligible citizens to vote.

The gatherings were timed for the first day of a four-week legislative session. It's also the same day that new emergency rules governing the issuance of driver's licenses, instruction permits and identification cards take effect.

Although organizers on both sides say they don't expect things to get ugly, OFIR president Jim Ludwick expressed frustration with opposing groups.

"This is another clear indication that advocates of illegal aliens don't think laws and rules apply to them," Ludwick said, adding that his group was the first to reserve the Capitol steps for that day.

"I'm sure they're going to show up, try to overwhelm us with their mob tactics and intimidation," he said. "If there are any problems, it won't be because of us."

Paulina Brabin, an organizer with Centro Cultural of Washington County, shrugged off Ludwick's comments.

"OFIR members have shown up at a number of our rallies," Brabin said. "While they have called us names, none of them have ever given us any real problems, and we don't believe they will this time, either. At least we hope they won't."

www.statesmanjournal.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Statehouse administrators and Oregon State Police are gearing up for a possible clash Monday between opponents of illegal immigration and those who support the rights of migrant workers.

Oh, I just love how this has been twisted into a "migrant worker" issue instead of what it really is

I'm sure they're going to show up, try to overwhelm us with their mob tactics and intimidation," he said. "If there are any problems, it won't be because of us."

But of course they will. It's just how they do things and I know they repeatedly deny it but why don't they go ahead and prove that by not continuing to purposely schedule their rallies at the same time others are holding theirs?

Until they are willing to do so, the rest of will have no choice but to go with what we see. And what we see does not speak well for illegal aliens or their advocates.

Paulina Brabin, an organizer with Centro Cultural of Washington County, shrugged off Ludwick's comments.
    "OFIR members have shown up at a number of our rallies," Brabin said. "While they have called us names, none of them have ever given us any real problems, and we don't believe they will this time, either. At least we hope they won't."

And they do have proof of these claims do they not? After all, they don't make a move without the camcorders rolling so I'm sure there must be something out there on YouTube
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Groups that support migrant workers -- CAUSA, PCUN and Centro Cultural of Washington County -- will be there to rally against two separate but similar measures that call for proof of legal presence to get an Oregon driver's license. They also plan to register eligible citizens to vote.
    Big illegal immigration rally and they are doing voter registration....hmmmmm.
    Who monitors the ones registering 'citizens' to vote to make certain only citizens are being registered?

"When in Mexico the U.S. State Department reminds U.S. citizens to avoid participating in demonstrations and other activities that might be deemed political by Mexican authorities. The Mexican Constitution prohibits political activities by foreigners, and such actions may result in detention and/or deportation."U.S. State Department
    "Distrust and caution are the parents of security."
    Benjamin Franklin

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by MyAmerica
    Big illegal immigration rally and they are doing voter registration....hmmmmm.
    Who monitors the ones registering 'citizens' to vote to make certain only citizens are being registered?

"When in Mexico the U.S. State Department reminds U.S. citizens to avoid participating in demonstrations and other activities that might be deemed political by Mexican authorities. The Mexican Constitution prohibits political activities by foreigners, and such actions may result in detention and/or deportation."U.S. State Department

I thought of that also after I had posted.

Obviously this is a tactic intended as an attempt to intimidate elected officials.....silently threatening their jobs, basically. But you're right....if groups are planning to do this then there should be someone there to ensure that the only people being registered are legally eligible to vote.

I wonder which agency would oversee these voter drives?

Answer:

OR Secretary of State's Office and/or Attorney General

azwreath wrote:

I thought of that also after I had posted.

Obviously this is a tactic intended as an attempt to intimidate elected officials.....silently threatening their jobs, basically. But you're right....if groups are planning to do this then there should be someone there to ensure that the only people being registered are legally eligible to vote.

I wonder which agency would oversee these voter drives?
    I went to their voter registration site:
    http://www.dmv.org/or-oregon/voter-registration.php

Oregon residents may register to vote when they fill out their driver's license application or vehicle registration at the Oregon Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). Voter registration cards may also be obtained at the following places:

County elections offices
    The Oregon Secretary of State's office
    Voter registration drives
    For those who are registering to vote by mail for the first time in Oregon, a copy of valid identification (ID) must also be provided. (Note--apparently only one form of ID needed.
    Acceptable ID includes the following:

Valid photo identification, including driver's license
    Paycheck stub with name and address
    Utility bill with name and address
    Bank statement with name and address
    A government document with name and address (Note: this does not even state US or OR government document.)
    Your county elections office will notify you by mail when your registration is received. If registering for the first time in Oregon, your application must be postmarked by the 21st day before an election in order to vote.

Actual Voter Registration Form is at:
    http://www.sos.state.or.us/elections/votreg/sel500.pdf

(Note: On Registration card:
    Are you a citizen of the United States of America? yes no
    List DMV Driver's License/ID number.
    If you don't have an OR driver's license/ID, list last 4 digits of your social security number.
    Signature: "I swear or affirm that I am qualified to be an elector and I have told the truth on this registration."
    ! If you sign this card and know it to be false, you can be fined up to $125,000 and/or jailed for up to 5 years.)

"The liberty of a democracy is not safe if the people tolerate the growth of private power to a point where it becomes stronger than their democratic state itself. That, in its essence, is fascism - ownership of government by an individual, by a group, or any controlling private power."
    Franklin D. Roosevelt
    "Distrust and caution are the parents of security."
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by PhredE
    Answer:

OR Secretary of State's Office and/or Attorney General

Thanks PhredE! You certainly are a fount of information, you rascal you

MyAmerica Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:18 pm Post subject:
    .I went to their voter registration site:
    http://www.dmv.org/or-oregon/voter-registration.php

Oregon residents may register to vote when they fill out their driver's license application or vehicle registration at the Oregon Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). Voter registration cards may also be obtained at the following places:
    County elections offices
    The Oregon Secretary of State's office
    Voter registration drives
    For those who are registering to vote by mail for the first time in Oregon, a copy of valid identification (ID) must also be provided. (Note--apparently only one form of ID needed.
    Acceptable ID includes the following:

Valid photo identification, including driver's license
    Paycheck stub with name and address
    Utility bill with name and address
    Bank statement with name and address
    A government document with name and address (Note: this does not even state US or OR government document.)
    Your county elections office will notify you by mail when your registration is received. If registering for the first time in Oregon, your application
    must be postmarked by the 21st day before an election in order to vote.

Actual Voter Registration Form is at:
    http://www.sos.state.or.us/elections/votreg/sel500.pdf

(Note: On Registration card:
    Are you a citizen of the United States of America? yes no
    List DMV Driver's License/ID number
    If you don't have an OR driver's license/ID, list last 4 digits of your social security number.
    Signature: "I swear or affirm that I am qualified to be an elector and I have told the truth on this registration."
    ! If you sign this card and know it to be false, you can be fined up to $125,000 and/or jailed for up to 5 years.)

Hmmmm.......not a whole bunch preventing voter fraud there, is there?

That's really disturbing to me.