Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Both sides must compromise on immigration issue

http://159.54.227.3/apps/pbcs.dll/artic ... /606160334

Both sides must compromise on immigration issue

Veronica Bronkema

Other Views

What does this immigration issue mean for us here in South Puget Sound? One side wants all "different people" out of the darn country, and others defend to the gut a group of people who broke American immigration laws.

We are all on one side or another. Either we are immigrants or we were born here, most of the time coming from an immigrant family.

As it turns out, it is only a matter of chance. Neither you nor I had any say as to where to be born, but we are all here in the same boat and we need to find a feasible solution that will allow this country to end up stronger while maintaining the core values that still make the United States the United States.

I understand why some long-time Americans feel threatened by an unknown group rallying on the city streets asking for rights that, in a strict legal sense, they don't have. It must feel like somebody wanting to take away something that you and your parents and their parents fought for, without you being asked what you think.

It seems unfair.

On the other hand we have a very bright 15-year-old daughter of an illegal immigrant maid who has lived here in Thurston County most of her life. She is a brilliant student, outgoing and a born leader, but in the current situation, when the daughter finishes high school, she won't be able to obtain a federal school loan or financial aid. Even if her poor family manages to send her to college, she will not be able to find a good job. She doesn't have papers. This bright kid will have to go to work as a maid with her mom instead of contributing to society with all her potential.

It seems unfair and a bad deal for everybody.

Deporting 12 million illegal immigrants is just unrealistic, starting with the cost of deportation and continuing with the collapse of agricultural and construction industries in the United States. In our own state, we are hearing of agricultural worker shortages for this harvest season, even with the immigrant work force.

The market forces are in action at full power in this situation. The United States has jobs. Immigrants need jobs. But even the most liberal thinker has to accept that there is a need for some sort of order and control over the flow of immigrants.

Are they here to contribute with their labor, special skills or talents to enrich the United States?

Then there should be a path to do it legally.

Are they here to attack the stability of the country? Then these people, legal or illegal, immigrant or nonimmigrant, should be stopped.

If we really open our minds and try to walk in the others' shoes, recognizing that the place we were born is just a matter of chance, we'll see that we have to reach a resolution that strengthens our nation instead of making Americans fight against Americans.

We are here because we love this country. Let's make strengthening America the light at the end of the tunnel in this obscure and complicated immigration debate.

Veronica Bronkema, a first-generation immigrant and a Hispanic communications professional, is a member of The Olympian's Diversity Panel. She can be reached at veronicabronkema@yahoo.com.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW
    On the other hand we have a very bright 15-year-old daughter of an illegal immigrant maid who has lived here in Thurston County most of her life.
    Why hasn't this girl and her family been turned over to ICE? Why has the community decided to ignore law breakers in their community? What sort of example does this set for your children? Do we want to send the message it's okay to pick and choose the laws you want to obey to our children? I'm sorry, but that is not the message I want to send to my children!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

This issue is NOT a debate. We do not have to compromise when we have LAWS that must be obeyed. Laws that are already on the books, we don't need new laws. Get it straight, get it right, get it through your excuse-making head. Laws of The United States Of America have been broken, citizens' safety and rights have been jeopardized. It does not matter who the leaders are that want this amnesty, this sham, they are NOT the Law of our (O-U-R = American citizens) country. They are put in place by us (U-S = American citizens). The leaders come and go, they get voted in, they get voted out. Our country is not up for grabs - get that straight!!! No compromise, just accept our laws or leave.
    We are NOT a nation of immigrants!

Must we compromise our values, beliefs, integrity, and our laws, because someone didn't respect our country enough not to come here illegaly and break our laws?
    Must we compromise because we are to lazy to get out and see that our laws are enforced?
    Must we compromise on our laws simply so big corporations can have cheap labor at the cost of good American's losing their jobs to the cheap labor force?
    Must we compromise our values, so we can suck up more oil at the cost of the soverignty of our Nation?
    Are we going to compromise our Country and risk the possiblity of losing it, because our government might be afraid they would have a huge riot on their hands if they started enforcing our laws at this late stage in the game?
    Must we compromise more American lives at the hands of these illegal criminals who rape and brutalize our women and citizens for the sake of appearing to be politically correct to other countries, who really don't like us anyway?
    Are we going to compromise our whole way of living because we live in fear of being called a racist and a bigot?

I DON'T THINK SO!
    Build the dam fence post haste!

Deporting 12 million illegal immigrants is just unrealistic, blah, blah, blah. Please spare me!!!!!!!! I never want to hear this again or the word COMPREHENSIVE!!!!!
    THIS ISN'T A COMPROMISE, YOU BROKE THE LAW. YOU HAVE NOTHING TO NEGOTIATE WITH.
    Don't tell me construction wouldn't be done w/o illegals. There are many Americans that have gotten out of construction work because they can't compete with illegals being paid slave wages.
    <div>Thank you Governor Brewer!</div>

I really should learn to keep a box of tissues by my desk for these sob stories

I do not want to compromise, so there! :P

Deporting 12 million illegal immigrants is just unrealistic, starting with the cost of deportation and continuing with the collapse of agricultural and construction industries in the United States.
    Note the word "collapse"....obviously she hasn't a clue. At last estimate, they were about 12% of the construction force. So if you have a hundred man crew and you lose 12 people, would your business collapse??? Not at all, if you got any sense at all. But they throw out this false crap to make it sound like the whole damn economy of the greatest Nation in the world hinges on a bunch of uneducated illegal aliens. How totally absurd! We can all see thru these "smoke screens."

As my husband would say, not on my watch
    Work together for the benefit of all mankind

Maybe we should start sending boxes of tissues to the editors of these tear-jerking stories. They need the tissues, they are the saddened ones so full of bolognie.
    We are NOT a nation of immigrants!

Veronica thinks that only a simple twist of fate kept us from being born in Mexico. Following that logic if you believe in reincarnation I could have come back as a rattlesnake in which case it would delight me to bite her on the butt.

As Buggs Bunny used to say "what a maroon!!".