Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Boy Scouts Make Big Push to Get Latinos to Join

There have been several stories posted about the efforts of the Boy Scouts of America to boost its declining membership by trying to recruit the growing Hispanic youth community. This is the first I have read that also speaks about the issue of illegal immigration.

www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-l ... 7282.story

chicagotribune.com

Boy Scouts make big push to get Latinos to join

Organization tries to leap hurdles to double its ranks of Hispanic Boy Scouts

By Antonio Olivo
    Tribune reporter
    June 5, 2009

The smells of roasting jalapeños and buttery pancakes swirled together in the Tinley Park forest preserve campsite as mothers chattering in Spanish prepared breakfast for the boys in Cub Scout Pack 3345.

The mostly Mexican-American children, wolfing down their meal in the southern Cook County woods, represented what the Boy Scouts of America see as their new face after striving for nearly 100 years to embody painter Norman Rockwell's idyllic vision of America.

Worried about dwindling membership, the organization has launched a pilot recruitment effort to double its ranks of Latinos to 200,000 before its centennial in February. Chicago is among six test sites for even more ambitious plans to tap into the nation's fastest-growing demographic.

So far, however, the $1 million effort has faced language barriers, lax participation and other obstacles among the mostly immigrant parents viewed as crucial to the effort, illustrating broader concerns over that population's lack of integration into American society.

In a stark example of its efforts to overcome such hurdles, the strait-laced group has turned a blind eye to questions of illegal Immigration. The organization's leaders hope that will reassure some undocumented parents whose worries of detection contributed to several failed recruitment efforts since the 1980s.

"You can feel, I would say, awkwardness on both sides," said Roberto Colón, a former Eagle Scout in Puerto Rico who coordinates Latino recruitment in Chicago. Directors hope to add 2,000 families in the region as part of the national effort to reverse a membership decline from 4.8 million boys in the 1970s to 3 million today.

"You have to build a lot of trust, and that's the hardest thing for the Anglo society to understand," Colón said. "They say, 'Go in there, talk to them for 10 minutes and let's go.' It doesn't work that way. ... It takes time."

Yet time is a rare commodity for many working-class immigrants. Their long hours in low-wage industries contribute to historically low rates of English proficiency and low participation in civic groups such as the Scouts, studies have shown.

Nearly three of every four of the state's 725,000 Mexican immigrants work such low-skilled jobs, according to a May report by the Chicago Council on Global Affairs.

Through Spanish-language marketing and other efforts, the Scouts try to get around such hard realities. For example, parents without child care are urged to bring the whole family to meetings and camp outs, and low-income families are offered financial aid for uniforms and camping trips.

To avoid questions about Immigration status, Colón and other recruiters emphasize that a Social Security number or other government ID isn't required when they carry out mandatory screening of volunteers that is designed to protect children from potential predators. Neither do they ask the Scouts about their Immigration papers.

Of the 135,000 Mexican immigrants who arrived in Illinois from 2000 to 2006, roughly 51 percent are believed to be in the U.S. illegally, according to the Council on Global Affairs report. Many of them have elementary school-age children.

Unfamiliar with the Scouts and put off by what can appear to be a paramilitary aura, many immigrants have misperceived the group as an extension of U.S. law enforcement, recruiters say.

"We're not a government agency and we're not in the Immigration business," though criminal background checks are performed for every parent, said Marcos Nava, a national Scout director overseeing the Hispanic Initiative.

"Anyone who has a child in the program or who wants to participate in the program may do so," he said. "When there is a lack of a Social Security number ... what we do ask is that [a local Scouts director] write a letter" vouching for that parent, he said.

Nava acknowledged that the approach has ruffled "one or two" feathers within the organization, but said Scout leaders view it as necessary to the group's survival.

In Chicago, the welcoming approach has resonated with immigrant parents.

At a recent Cub Scout meeting in Brighton Park, a handful of parents watched their uniformed children, ages 7 to 10, stand in formation to salute the American flag before reciting the Pledge of Allegiance and an oath of loyalty to the pack. The 13 children then dove into merit projects.

Carmen Castillo, 29, voiced her approval in Spanish. But the Ecuadorean immigrant laughingly recalled how a neighbor asked whether her 8-year-old son had joined "the little soldiers."

She and the other parents credit the regimented program for keeping their children away from gang violence rattling their Southwest Side neighborhood. They also praised the group's time-honored emphasis on achievement, selflessness and being prepared.

But while those virtues may entice parents to join, not enough stick around, said Lillian Robles, a parent leader in Brighton Park. Recently, three families dropped out, she said.

"Some parents think it's too much work," Robles said.

John Jones, who heads the Chicago Area Council of the Scouts, said there has been a lack of bilingual staff able to build lasting connections with those families. The council recently hired Colón and three other bilingual recruiters to talk up the Scouts.

"Who wants a wolf patch?" one recruiter, Miguel Coronado, asked a class of giggly kindergartners at Walsh Elementary School in Pilsen. After showing the children photos of Scouts playing with bows and arrows or building bonfires, the recruiters handed out fliers for a kite festival designed to lure their parents.

"Don't forget to tell Mama and Papa!" Colón chimed in.

Although Walsh Principal Khrish Mohip is a former Eagle Scout and actively pushes the program, only nine parents showed up that weekend. But after a pep talk about the value of teaching their children how to think for themselves, they all filled out applications.

"What's really going to make us grow in the Hispanic community is if we start with small groups that do it the way it's been done for 100 years," Nava said. "It will be embedded in our hearts."

Hilda Vazquez, 34, a parent leader in Cicero, has seen trickles of that.

In the past, she recalled, Spanish-speaking parents who still feel like outsiders were turned off by the idea of reciting the Pledge of Allegiance before weekly meetings, asking, "Do we have to? We know our kids have to."

Now, Vazquez said, the parents stand quietly with their hands over their hearts as the children say the pledge in English.

"They don't know the words, but they respect it," she said. "That was a real breakthrough."

aolivo@tribune
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The Boy Scouts are in a money game for someone! Don't trust others with your children.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote:
    "We're not a government agency and we're not in the Immigration business," though criminal background checks are performed for every parent, said Marcos Nava, a national Scout director overseeing the Hispanic Initiative.

Wow, this must be new if it is correct! My son was a Boy Scout, and I didn't have to "pass" anything! I thought these were just required of those actually working with the boys - scoutmasters, etc.. If this is now required of all parents, perhaps these find it prohibitive and somewhat offensive - I think I might, too.

Here's another article on the cub scouts here:

Lexington Cub Scouts add a Spanish-speaking den
    by David Penner
    Published: Friday, May 29, 2009 4:21 PM CDT
    LEXINGTON – With the summer now in full swing there is plenty for the youth of Lexington to do.

For young boys looking to be a part of something bigger like helping the Lexington community the Boy Scouts of America is a good place to start.

Now with the help of Ericka Cabrera and her husband Carl Anderson, the scouting movement in Lexington will have a multicultural appeal.

Cabrera and Anderson are starting a Spanish speaking only Tiger’s Den that will be a part of Cub Scout Pack 143.

Cabrera will be a first-time den mother and as a native of Puebla, Mexico, she said it is a great opportunity for her to become closer to her six-year-old son and the parents of other boys who are the same age as her son.

“It will be exciting to get to know the parents,â€

Wow! A Spanish speaking den? Financial aid for uniforms and camping trips? So do these idiots expect to be paid back for their aid, and while it may be okay to introduce parents to scouting in Spanish, the kids ought to participate in English.
    This is one of the more stupid ideas I have heard.

I can not help but be disappointed in the Boy Scouts, after years of working with the Scouts in various positions during the 20 years my sons were involved and now to discover they may be no different than other Special Interest Groups; You know, Just follow the money! How can ILLEGALS and their Anchors, conceived only to abuse the 14th Amendment, recite the Boy Scout Oath and honor the Scout Law. Hopefully this is the misguided concept of some Elitist outside consultant whose only motivation is to increase membership and dues. Hopefully the Boy Scouts will soon end the practice of serving the ILLEGALS and stand up to our Elitist Politicians and their Special Interest Groups and HONOR our country.

http://www.scouting.org/sitecore/conten ... -503a.aspx

Boy Scout Oath, Law, Motto, and Slogan

Scout Oath (or Promise)

On my honor I will do my best
    To do my duty to God and my country
    and to obey the Scout Law;
    To help other people at all times;
    To keep myself physically strong,
    mentally awake, and morally straight.

Scout Law

TRUSTWORTHY
    A Scout tells the truth. He keeps his promises. Honesty is part of his code of conduct. People can depend on him.
    LOYAL
    A Scout is true to his family, Scout leaders, friends, school, and nation.
    HELPFUL
    A Scout is concerned about other people. He does things willingly for others without pay or reward.
    FRIENDLY
    A Scout is a friend to all. He is a brother to other Scouts. He seeks to understand others. He respects those with ideas and customs other than his own.
    COURTEOUS
    A Scout is polite to everyone regardless of age or position. He knows good manners make it easier for people to get along together.
    KIND
    A Scout understands there is strength in being gentle. He treats others as he wants to be treated. He does not hurt or kill harmless things without reason.
    OBEDIENT
    A Scout follows the rules of his family, school, and troop. He obeys the laws of his community and country. If he thinks these rules and laws are unfair, he tries to have them changed in an orderly manner rather than disobey them.
    CHEERFUL
    A Scout looks for the bright side of things. He cheerfully does tasks that come his way. He tries to make others happy.
    THRIFTY
    A Scout works to pay his way and to help others. He saves for unforeseen needs. He protects and conserves natural resources. He carefully uses time and property.
    BRAVE
    A Scout can face danger even if he is afraid. He has the courage to stand for what he thinks is right even if others laugh at or threaten him.
    CLEAN
    A Scout keeps his body and mind fit and clean. He goes around with those who believe in living by these same ideals. He helps keep his home and community clean.
    REVERENT
    A Scout is reverent toward God. He is faithful in his religious duties. He respects the beliefs of others.

Scout Motto
    Be Prepared

Scout Slogan
    Do a Good Turn Daily

Quote:
    " Financial aid for uniforms and camping trips?"

The Scouts had a special fundraising drive several years ago to raise money to offer these things to "inner city Scout troops" which they said they wished to start and cultivate. Unfortunately it was discovered that money which had been donated and supposedly earmarked for these special troops was being used instead for their regular programs. It was one of the few "scandals" that I have ever seen associated with the Boy Scouts, and I don't know what was done about the Scouting officials who were caught using these special funds for regular troops.

OMG. The Boy Scouts? They are taking over the Boy Scouts? Are english speaking children still allowed?

And as for aid for uniforms...hey when I was in Girl Scouts we sold cookies to buy uniforms and go to camp. Sometimes we sold chocolate bars.

Why do spanish speaking kids get "aid"? Not very long ago I was walking to the store and saw two Boy Scouts...they happened to be asian. They were selling chocolate bars. The profit goes to camp expenses during the summer. I bought ten chocolate bars....kind of expensive at five bucks each, but for a great cause.

I would like to know why spanish speaking kids are given "aid" instead of learning to earn the money? That is part of the whole Girl Scout/Boy Scout process. Part of what you learn is to earn your keep.

MW
    To avoid questions about Immigration status, Colón and other recruiters emphasize that a Social Security number or other government ID isn't required when they carry out mandatory screening of volunteers that is designed to protect children from potential predators. Neither do they ask the Scouts about their Immigration papers.
    As a former Boy Scout and father of an Eagle Scout, I find this very disturbing. It's a scouts duty to obey the laws of his community and country.

Scout Oath

On my honor I will do my best
    To do my duty to God and my country
    and to obey the Scout Law;
    To help other people at all times;
    To keep myself physically strong,
    mentally awake, and morally straight.
    Scout Law
    TRUSTWORTHY
    A Scout tells the truth. He keeps his promises. Honesty is part of his code of conduct. People can depend on him.
    LOYAL
    A Scout is true to his family, Scout leaders, friends, school, and nation.
    HELPFUL
    A Scout is concerned about other people. He does things willingly for others without pay or reward.
    FRIENDLY
    A Scout is a friend to all. He is a brother to other Scouts. He seeks to understand others. He respects those with ideas and customs other than his own.
    COURTEOUS
    A Scout is polite to everyone regardless of age or position. He knows good manners make it easier for people to get along together.
    KIND
    A Scout understands there is strength in being gentle. He treats others as he wants to be treated. He does not hurt or kill harmless things without reason.
    OBEDIENT
    A Scout follows the rules of his family, school, and troop. He obeys the laws of his community and country. If he thinks these rules and laws are unfair, he tries to have them changed in an orderly manner rather than disobey them.
    CHEERFUL
    A Scout looks for the bright side of things. He cheerfully does tasks that come his way. He tries to make others happy.
    THRIFTY
    A Scout works to pay his way and to help others. He saves for unforeseen needs. He protects and conserves natural resources. He carefully uses time and property.
    BRAVE
    A Scout can face danger even if he is afraid. He has the courage to stand for what he thinks is right even if others laugh at or threaten him.
    CLEAN
    A Scout keeps his body and mind fit and clean. He goes around with those who believe in living by these same ideals. He helps keep his home and community clean.
    REVERENT
    A Scout is reverent toward God. He is faithful in his religious duties. He respects the beliefs of others.
    Scout Motto
    Be Prepared
    Scout Slogan
    Do a Good Turn Daily

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Living the Big LIE - of undocumented parent/child and/or anchor babies.