'Boycott Chuck Norris,' says Thompson staffer
Campaign spokesman launches website to 'kick him where it hurts – his wallet'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: January 27, 2008
1:00 a.m. Eastern
© 2008 WorldNetDaily.com

Former senator and GOP presidential contender Fred Thompson may have thrown in the towel following last week's third place finish to John McCain and Mike Huckabee, but a former Thompson spokesman is refusing to say die and has launched an Internet campaign against Huckabee's most visible supporter, martial arts champion and television and movie star Chuck Norris.

Darrell Ng, the Thompson campaign's "main point of contact for the media on all travel logistics and scheduling," registered the domain name, BoycottChuckNorris.com on Wednesday, one day after Thompson announced he was dropping out of the presidential race. According to the registration information for the website, Ng lives in Berkeley.

Saying he's 'kicking Chuck Norris where it hurts – his wallet,' Ng explains he's starting the boycott because Norris endorsed a presidential candidate and supports ideas "far out of the mainstream."

Ng singles out Norris' endorsement of Huckabee – "a candidate who says that he does not believe in evolution," and "who called for the isolation of AIDS patients – long after the Centers for Disease Control determined that the virus was not spread by casual contact."

Ng continues: "Republicans long decried celebrities telling us how to vote (see Sean Penn and Ben Affleck in 2004). Certainly, I support Chuck's First Amendment right to free political speech, but he has gone way beyond what other celebrities like Oprah, Sylvester Stallone or Jon Voight have done. These other celebrities have publicly endorsed, and maybe even spent a day or two campaigning with their chosen candidates. Fair enough.

"But Chuck Norris has endorsed a candidate, went out on the stump with him numerous times in different states and even appeared in a commercial with him. To me, that sets him apart and makes him fair game."

Ng is asking visitors to his site to join him in boycotting products Norris endorses and companies that purchase advertising on reruns of his long-running CBS television series, "Walker, Texas Ranger." In the first category, Ng lists exercise-equipment manufacturere Total Gym, endorsed by the actor. Sponsors listed are KFC, Payless Shoes, Nutrisystem, Tylenol and Geico Insurance.

As WND has reported, Norris has also been an ad spokesman for Honda.

Ng even includes two similar sample letters to be sent to the targeted businesses. For advertisers on Walker, Texas Ranger, Ng suggests:

To Whom This May Concern:

I am boycotting your company because you have advertised on a show that features Chuck Norris. He has associated himself with a presidential candidate who is far out of the mainstream of America. This candidate does not believe in evolution and believes that AIDS patients should be isolated. Until your product is not associated with Chuck Norris, I will not consider giving you my business.

Thank you for your time.

In a question-and-answer section, Ng tells readers he's not being compensated for the website and is not serving as a "shill" for any of Huckabee's opponents.

"In this cycle, I worked as a spokesperson for the now defunct Fred Thompson for President campaign, but I am not currently affiliated with any campaign."

Ng, the chief deputy press secretary for the Office of Governor Schwarzenegger from 2003 to 2007, as well as deputy press secretary for Schwarzenegger's political campaign, was appointed by the governor last February to serve as deputy secretary of public communications for the State of California's Business, Transportation and Housing Agency. He left the $110,280-a-year position in September to join the now-folded Thompson campaign.

In 2002, while serving as spokesman for California's outgoing Secretary of State's gubernatoral campaign, Ng was in the spotlight for another Internet campaign on behalf of his boss, Bill Jones. Despite the state's anti-spam law, the campaign sent out thousands of unsolicited e-mails urging California voters to vote for Jones in the upcoming primary. It was the third wave of what many considered spam by the campaign.

Ng defended the mailings, saying they weren't spam, but instead an "innovative way to use the Internet," reported Wired News.

Ng says his current innovative way of using the Internet won't stop until Chuck Norris is no longer affiliated with the view that evolution does not exist and the idea that AIDS patients should be isolated. Only then will he end his personal boycott and urge others to do the same.

Norris used his exclusive weekly WND column to announce his endorsement of Huckabee for president. No word yet if WND will be added to Ng's boycott list.
http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=59911