Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Martinez quits as RNC chairman

Martinez quits as RNC chairman
    Says he achieved objective he set when he assumed the job in January

Updated: 39 minutes ago
    WASHINGTON - Mel Martinez, the public face of the Republican National Committee as its general chairman, announced Friday he was stepping down from his post after serving only 10 months.

"I believe that our future as a party and nation is bright and I have every intention of continuing to fight for our president, our party and our candidates," the Florida senator said in a statement.

Martinez said he was relinquishing the post to spend more time focusing on his constituents and because the RNC had achieved the objective he set when he assumed the job in January.

"It was my goal as general chairman to lead the party as it established the structure and raised the resources necessary to support our presidential candidate and ensure Republican victories next November. I believe we have accomplished those goals," Martinez said.

His departure was abrupt. Martinez wasn't expected to step down until a Republican presidential nominee was selected. The earliest that could occur is February.

No immediate replacement named
    Martinez, a prominent Hispanic who previously served in President Bush's Cabinet, was named general chairman last November, after reluctantly agreeing to White House overtures to lead the party. He took the reins of the RNC in January. The first-term senator was brought on to be the face of the party, focusing on fundraising, outreach and travel to promote the GOP agenda.

In a statement, the president said Martinez "has effectively communicated our party's commitment to addressing the issues most important to all Americans. His message of hope and opportunity has resonated throughout America and strengthened support for our agenda."

In a statement, RNC chairman Mike Duncan, who is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the party, called it an honor to serve with Martinez.

"Our party has effectively laid the groundwork for the 2008 Republican presidential nominee thanks in large part to Senator Martinez's efforts," Duncan said.

There was no immediate word on a replacement.

By tapping the Cuban-born Martinez to be the party's public persona a year ago, the White House had turned to a lawmaker who has been a staunch supporter of the president, including on the issue of

Martinez served as Bush's secretary of Housing and Urban Development from 2001 until 2003, when he resigned to run for the Senate seat left open by Democratic Sen. Bob Graham's retirement.

Martinez garnered a national profile amid the drama surrounding Elian Gonzalez, the castaway boy who was returned from the U.S. to Cuba in 2000 after an international custody battle.

The top county official in Orange County, Fla., at the time, Martinez argued on national television talk shows and before a U.S. Senate committee that the boy should stay in the United States. He also invited Gonzalez to Walt Disney World before the boy was returned to Cuba.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21380309/
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!

The senator, who is the GOP’s most prominent Latino spokesman, is not on the ballot in 2008, but is up for re-election in 2010.
    Let's let Martinez be the first name on our hit list for 2010. Florida and the U.S. would be well served to have him out of office.

I have a feeling he resigned because he knows that he's on very shakey ground to be re-elected.

I HOPE Florida can manage to find a new senator who stands for EVERY American, not just "his own people".

That way of thinking is not going to get ANYONE in America elected anymore.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The headline on this article is a bit misleading. Martinez didn't resign his senate seat; he resigned as general chariman of the RNC.

Florida Sen. Mel Martinez plans to step down as general chairman of the Republican National Committee, after serving just nine months on the job, CNN has learned.

I can think of 25 people in my family and extended family that will be voting against him. We are spreading the word why a no vote for him is the right thing to do.

I know its not much but every little bit helps.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfire
    I can think of 25 people in my family and extended family that will be voting against him. We are spreading the word why a no vote for him is the right thing to do.

I know its not much but every little bit helps.
    That is the spirit dragonfire. If everyone will take this as a personal mission we can do this thing. Martinez must go; he is dangerous. Be certain to verify that all of your family members are registered and that their addresses are current with the voting registrars. If any of the women have changed their name through marriage, that should be reported to the registrars as well. We can't afford any screw-ups.

Challenge others to take on the same duty you've accepted; get the masses to the polls.

tracking the usurper-in-chief and on his trail

Re: Martinez quits as RNC chairman

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfire
    Martinez, a prominent Hispanic who previously served in President Bush's Cabinet, was named general chairman last November, after reluctantly agreeing to White House overtures to lead the party. He took the reins of the RNC in January. The first-term senator was brought on to be the face of the party, focusing on fundraising, outreach and travel to promote the GOP agenda.
    And since the disastrous illegal alien amnesty went down in flames, rejected by over 80% of Americans, GOP fundraising has gone down by how much, you say?

Sorry, Sen. Martinez. You were used, and now those who used you find you more than a liability. That's politics. Don't take it personally. Don't go away mad. And don't let the door hit you on your way out.
    One man's terrorist is another man's undocumented worker.

Unless we enforce laws against illegal aliens today,
    tomorrow WE may wake up as illegals.

The last word: illegal aliens are ILLEGAL!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12