Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Brewer: Obama needs to see border

Says visiting is only way he can grasp situation

Brewer: Obama needs to see border

Howard Fischer Capitol Media Services
    June 5, 2010 12:00 am

PHOENIX - President Obama needs to see the Arizona border for himself to fully understand the scope of the problem, Gov. Jan Brewer said Friday.

The governor said she is pleased Obama promised during their Thursday meeting to send some top advisers to brief her on exactly what more he plans to do to secure the border. That includes how many of the 1,200 National Guard soldiers he promised for the Southwest will be stationed in Arizona.

But Brewer, speaking to reporters during an appearance at a Phoenix high school, said there is no way the president can really appreciate the situation, even by reading news accounts, watching videos and getting briefed by aides, until he sees it himself.

And that, she said, means being on the ground in Southern Arizona.

"I think the visual of seeing the masses coming across the border certainly, almost like in herds, all day long and at night is unbelievable," she said. "I mean, it's like something you just can't imagine."

On one hand, the governor said she believes the president will be impressed by the number of people picked up by the Border Patrol.

"There just (aren't) enough of them," Brewer said of the number of agents on the border.

The governor added that Obama needs to see the rest of the picture, "the damage that they're doing to the property down there, private property, the garbage that's strewn every which way."

And she said the president needs to look beyond the fence "at the camps that they have south of the border, little blue tents where people are just camped out, waiting for their turn to come."

"It's like a Motel 6," Brewer explained. "People come, stay, go, (they) fill up with new people."

Brewer said she extended a personal invitation to the president during their White House meeting. "He said that he would like to do that," she said.

"That certainly wasn't a commitment," the governor continued.

"But if I have the opportunity to again engage in conversation with him in regard to this issue I certainly will invite him again."

The White House had no immediate response to the comments Brewer made on Friday about her belief the president needs to see the border for himself to understand the problem.

But staffers did note the president has committed to not only putting National Guard soldiers in the Southwest but also to asking Congress for an extra $500 million for border security.

http://azstarnet.com/news/local/article ... 8514f.html
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Obamas idea of cleaning up the border would be removing the fence.
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Obamas idea of cleaning up the border would be removing the fence.
    LOL...I think that's probably not too far from the truth Richard!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I think Obama would be real pleased to see all his votes coming over the border... lol
    As Aristotle said, “Tolerance and apathy are the first virtue of a dying civilization.â€

That's the problem - Obama doesn't see a border. The new world order doesn't recognize individual countries.
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)