Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Brewer wants day labor rules to take effect

Brewer wants day labor rules to take effect

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer, takes a final question after responding
    to President Obama's immigration speech, Friday, June 15, 2012,
    at the Capitol in Phoenix. Brewer said President Barack Obama represents
    a "pre-emptive strike" aimed at an upcoming U.S. Supreme Court ruling that
    could uphold parts of the state's immigration enforcement law. (AP Photo/Matt York)

June 22, 2012 3:15 am | Updated: 5:56 pm, Thu Jun 21, 2012.

Associated Press | 1 comment

PHOENIX (AP) — Lawyers for Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer are asking an appeals court to rescind a ruling that prevents police from enforcing part of Arizona's immigration law that prohibits people from blocking traffic when they seek or offer day labor services.

The governor's appeal to the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals is separate from an appeal she lodged before the U.S. Supreme Court, which is expected to rule in the coming days on whether to let police enforce the law's more controversial elements. The little-known day labor provision isn't part of the case before the nation's highest court.

Brewer appealed the day labor ruling after U.S. District Judge Susan Bolton in February rejected the governor's arguments that the rules were needed for traffic safety. Bolton, who pointed out that the law's purpose was to make attrition through enforcement the state's immigration policy, wrote that the law appears to target speech rather than a broader traffic problem.

It's unclear whether the day labor rules were enforced by police while they were in effect from July 2010 until the decision in February.

Day labor organizers say they know of no arrests under the rules, though they added that day laborers are still arrested on trespassing and other charges that aren't in the immigration law. In the past, some of the biggest police agencies in Arizona have reported little — if any — use of provisions in the law.

Brewer's lawyers argued that Bolton's day labor decision isn't backed up by evidence and that the restrictions are meant to confront traffic safety concerns, as well as trespassing and damage to property.

They told the 9th Circuit that day laborers congregate on roadsides in large groups, flagging down vehicles and often swarming those that stop. They also said businesses in Phoenix, Cave Creek, Chandler, Mesa and Fountain Hills have complained to officials about the harm that day laborers cause to their revenues.

Groups that challenged the law argued the day labor rules unconstitutionally restrict the free speech rights of people who want to express their need for work. The groups say the state can't justify the statewide ban on work solicitation speech imposed by the rules.

The Supreme Court is considering a July 2010 decision by Bolton that put the immigration law's most controversial parts — such as a requirement that police check the immigration status of people they stop for other reasons — on hold.

Legal experts expect that the Supreme Court likely will uphold the requirement for immigration-status checks.

Brewer wants day labor rules to take effect - Your West Valley News: Topstory
    Join our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & to secure US borders by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

good luck gov jan . some one is trying to do something you & joe from AZ are the only one with back bone
    wake the hell up
    came in the right way I said yes but not this way BS it not Only mexico & every other country also
    & you know this.

I wish Arizona had made their argument one of denying illegals to seek labor, so that when the traitor Bolton ruled it was a violation of "commercial speech" AZ could have countered by arguing that illegal aliens have no right to commercial speech since they cannot legally form commercial entities, such as sole proprietorships or LLCs. There is growing legal precedent for denying illegal aliens rights, including the 5th Circuit which last month ruled illegal are not "persons" according to the Constitution, and therefore have no right to bear arms. this could be expanded to challenge Plyer v. Doe to deny them public education, deny them healthcare, foodstamps, and the ability to use our judicial system for a redress of greivances (lawsuits). Instead Brewer claims it is about traffic safety, which smart judges see through clearly.

ADDED TO ALIPAC HOMEPAGE News with amended title ..

http://www.alipac.us/content/brewer-...ke-effect-674/
    Join our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & to secure US borders by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

it true
    all you see are illegal immigrants at work not one American . My friend live in Pittston Pa
    & the company that hire the illegl immigrants . TJM. men wear house .woodland instate Aluim should I go on ?
    not one guy or lady . Obama is not for the usa he for all of the other Country just for the Vote .
    now come on wake the hell the up . & to all of the illegal immigrant Obama don't care about you
    he just want your vote . & the other guy as well as I said be for if you came in the right way like all of the other's did ok but this way No way in hell get in line .yes you have our jobs. that why I don't like you ,Im still out
    of work . I have family also just like every one . why we have all other country . In The USA . your country don't
    have welfare . or free Med . or food stamp . or cell phone ?
    what to say our gov stop this ? Im with gov jan On this yes she is right she has back bone & joe also that
    what I want for Our Next President . whey Both want best for Our Country
    not some ***hold they know what the left hand is doing. Im not only P/// about illegal immigrant
    it all of the other Country that come over & get every thing it china ?look around you
    who own gas station not us . who own store not us ?
    why the mexican . think we should roll out the red Carpet not me Obama this is all your doing .
    In my Book your not fit to be President as for this other Clown .Mitt he is just as bad as you
    Good luck Gov Jan
    No amnesty Or dream act
    Last edited by working4change; 06-23-2012 at 09:03 AM.