Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Brooklyn Immigrant Congregations Clash

Brooklyn Immigrant Congregations Clash

Kirsten Luce for The New York Times

The Rev. Zhaodeng Peng leads the growing Chinese congregation of Tian Fu United Methodist Church, which shares a building with a dwindling Latino congregation in Sunset Park, Brooklyn.

By SAM DOLNICK
    Published: December 28, 2010

The United Methodist church in Sunset Park, Brooklyn, is anything but united.

Chinese ushers wait to begin their church services as the Rev. Hector Laporta, who leads the Latino congregation, called the Fourth Avenue United Methodist Church, leaves the chapel.

Two pastors preach from the same pulpit and live in the same parsonage next door, but they are barely on speaking terms and openly criticize each other’s approach to the faith.

In the church’s social hall, two camps eye each other suspiciously as one finishes its meal of rice and beans while the other prepares steaming pans of chicken lo mein.

Two very different congregations share the soaring brick building on Fourth Avenue: a small cadre of about 30 Spanish-speaking people who have worshiped there for decades and a fledgling throng of more than 1,000 Chinese immigrants that expands week by week — the fastest-growing Methodist congregation in New York City.

The Latinos say they feel steamrolled and under threat, while their tenants, the Chinese, say they feel stifled and unappreciated. Mediators have been sent in, to little effect. This holiday season, there are even two competing Christmas trees.

“This pastor is very rude to us,â€
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I grew up in that area and though I didn't know it at the time Teddy Kennedy's immigration reform of 65 started its change. In five short years the influx of Puerto Ricans forced out 3 generations of inhabitants.

My family moved in 1968 from the home my great grandparents bought in the 1920's.

The Puerto Rican enclave expanded until about the early 90's then started to contract and be replaced by "immigrants" from South America and Mexico. By the year 2005 the Puerto Ricans were almost entirely displaced.

This all happened rather peacefully because the displaced had gained a bit of upward mobility and could afford to make the move.

Ah but changes outside the neighborhood but very close by were also happening. As mentioned in the article a Chinese settlement of the 8th Ave. neighborhood began in 88 and was completed by 2000. Still expanding it slowly encroached towards 4th Ave.

The merd hit the fan because the Chinese culture valued education and advancement on the social ladder so much more than Hispanic culture those being displaced were now no where near upward mobility and couldn't accept displacement as easily as those they themselves had displaced.

It's only due to family circumstances that my family and I have had to stay in this area to witness this "Social, Cultural turnover" giving me an insight that's so hard to explain.

I keep trying though.

In closing I want to add my fear about the situation...I truly believe it will lead to violence. Brooklyn and the other outer-boroughs are becoming tinder kegs. There's already been outbreaks in Staten Island that have shocked the nation but I predict those matters were small potato's compared to what's to come.

Hopefully my family circumstances will be resolved before the fuse is lit and we'll have already relocated.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Banned
    I see a couple things, 30 hispanics vs 1,000 or so chinese.... think the numbers should have it right there. Does seem funny how hispanic immigrants seem to be very good at dishing it out but when turns around not so well at taking it. I also from seeing both groups see while both tend to segragate themselves to areas with majority of their origin as most immigrants do the Chinese are far more willing to adapt, learn, and accept new rules of law while the Hispanic population tend to expect everything to adapt to them.

Its also funny though how in the white and black communities we can have 1 white church and 1 black church and get along just fine, we can have methodists and prodestants right next to eachother and get along just fine also. I've even had Chinese and Asian communities near where I used to live and got along quite well with the non asian society right next door and often mingled together in parts. Makes yah wonder as I haven't seen an Asian caucus or any other racial group for illegals other then hispanic groups.

I do think we need more immigration controls that specifically tell immigrants where they can reside by state even excluding cities until they get their perm green card or citizenship. A way to try and spread them out to better facilitate adaption to American society.

well this is American & if you Illegal immigrant don't like it to bad you sneak over & think hay man i love the American .IGet free food stamps & free Med Care & every thing you want . & IM a USA Citizen now . I don't think so . you all Have a big Figth on your Hand . & we will fight this is Not Mexico . you did not get any thing free IN Mexico . & another thing Obama Is Not going to be by your side for ever so get hte hell Out
    No Amnesty No Amnesty
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I think it's funny how the Hispanics are throwing a fit that other peoples are "taking over." Ha, how the worm is turning.....

Re: Brooklyn Immigrant Congregations Clash

[quote="JohnDoe2"]Brooklyn Immigrant Congregations Clash

Kirsten Luce for The New York Times

The Rev. Zhaodeng Peng leads the growing Chinese congregation of Tian Fu United Methodist Church, which shares a building with a dwindling Latino congregation in Sunset Park, Brooklyn.

By SAM DOLNICK
    Published: December 28, 2010

The United Methodist church in Sunset Park, Brooklyn, is anything but united.

Chinese ushers wait to begin their church services as the Rev. Hector Laporta, who leads the Latino congregation, called the Fourth Avenue United Methodist Church, leaves the chapel.

Two pastors preach from the same pulpit and live in the same parsonage next door, but they are barely on speaking terms and openly criticize each other’s approach to the faith.

In the church’s social hall, two camps eye each other suspiciously as one finishes its meal of rice and beans while the other prepares steaming pans of chicken lo mein.

Two very different congregations share the soaring brick building on Fourth Avenue: a small cadre of about 30 Spanish-speaking people who have worshiped there for decades and a fledgling throng of more than 1,000 Chinese immigrants that expands week by week — the fastest-growing Methodist congregation in New York City.

The Latinos say they feel steamrolled and under threat, while their tenants, the Chinese, say they feel stifled and unappreciated. Mediators have been sent in, to little effect. This holiday season, there are even two competing Christmas trees.

“This pastor is very rude to us,â€

The article of the NYT focused on conflicts between the Spanish speaking congregation of Fourth Avenue UMC and the Chinese congregation of Tian Fu UMC; and doesn't say that the two churches have been in a share facilities relationship for more than five years.

The history repeats how white people like to over emphasized the domestic problems of two minority groups.

I don't see any white people? Are they in the article?
    Unemployment is not working. Deport illegal alien workers now! Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by latino
    The article of the NYT focused on conflicts between the Spanish speaking congregation of Fourth Avenue UMC and the Chinese congregation of Tian Fu UMC; and doesn't say that the two churches have been in a share facilities relationship for more than five years.

The history repeats how white people like to over emphasized the domestic problems of two minority groups.

WOW, a new recruit, screen name latino, making a deragatory remark against white people.

I am shocked.

Quote Originally Posted by latino

I find it a better example of how Latino's are just so full of themselves feeling they deserve more. The latino crowd here is 30 people, the asian group is 1,000 people. Time for the latino's to stfu and move out rather then the constant complaining on how they are being treated unfair. If a group out of legal groups is 30x bigger then yours you have no rights to argue. Your the extreme minority and don't deserve the vast majority bend to your ways.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast