Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bush aide delivers immigration pitch

Bush aide delivers immigration pitch

By Jessie Mangaliman
    Mercury News

U.S. Attorney General Alberto Gonzales came to the South Bay on Friday to make a case for the Bush administration's plan for immigration reform, but was met with protest and resistance from supporters and opponents of the plan's most controversial provision: a path to citizenship for illegal immigrants.

``Reform must be based on reality. We can't deport 12 million people,'' Gonzales said, speaking before a crowd of 150 at the Marriott Hotel in Santa Clara, during a public forum sponsored by the Commonwealth Club.

Outside, about 20 members of the Raging Grannies and anti-war protesters, held up signs that declared, ``No War on Immigrants, Iraq, Iran.'' An hour after the address, a couple of members of the group chanted in the hotel lobby as the crowd left the room, ``Immigrants Have Human Rights/Grannies join in the fight.''

In a hotel meeting room nearby, two officials from the Minuteman Civil Defense Corps, a civilian border patrol group based in Arizona, called a news conference to denounce the Bush proposal. A sign on the wall: ``Border Security First. No Amnesty.''

Gonzales repeated the arguments he's made for several months in speeches and news conferences across the country to drum up support for immigration reform proposals being touted by President Bush.

``Reform that's anything short of comprehensive will not be nearly good enough,'' he said. ``This is a very delicate and very complicated issue.''

The Bush plan calls for increased border security, a temporary guest-worker program, an employee verification system and legalization for some undocumented immigrants already living and working in the United States, after they've paid taxes and penalties and committed to learning English.

But like the conflicting House of Representatives and U.S. Senate bills, Gonzales acknowledged, there is no public consensus on immigration reform, as mirrored in protests and denouncements at Friday's forum.

The Bush proposal for a temporary guest-worker program ``is a way of exploiting workers. It won't lead to citizenship,'' said Ruth Robertson of the Raging Grannies. Robertson supports legalization and a path to citizenship.

Immigrant advocates across the country have criticized the Bush plan as not going far enough with legalization. And officials with the Minuteman, which opposes any form of legalization, slammed it as ``unacceptable.''

``As this nation's highest-ranking law enforcement officer,'' said Al Garza, executive director of the Minuteman, ``it is inexcusable that Attorney General Alberto Gonzales would promote a blanket amnesty for people who have committed such felonies as document fraud, identity theft and income tax evasion.''

In his address, Gonzales said, ``illegal immigration degrades the rule of law,'' but an earned legalization program is fair.

Asked during a question-and-answer session with the audience his opinion of the Minuteman, Gonzales said: ``We live in a free society. But as a general matter, law enforcement should be in the hands of law enforcement agencies.

``I understand the frustrations,'' he said. ``The bottom line is, we need to do a better job on the border.''

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercuryn ... 099268.htm
    It's like hell vomited and the Bush administration appeared.

In his address, Gonzales said, ``illegal immigration degrades the rule of law,'' but an earned legalization program is fair.
    Uh, yeah Alberto, that makes perfect sense all right.
    It's like hell vomited and the Bush administration appeared.

Maybe, HE's been using some of those illicet drugs coming over the border from his compadres.

I wish we had a good AG.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

MW
    I wish we had a good AG.
    Heck, I just wish we had one that was his own man and not the mouth piece for corporate America and President Bush. Furthermore, it would be nice if he sincerely believed in enforcing our laws!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

C'mon folks.

The shrub make sure who he was putting in that office. Gonzales isn't interesting in upholding American law.

Now there's "man talking with forked tongue", if I ever heard it.

Asked during a question-and-answer session with the audience his opinion of the Minuteman, Gonzales said: ``We live in a free society. But as a general matter, law enforcement should be in the hands of law enforcement agencies.
    Then my questions, Mr. Gonzales, is WHY ISN'T LAW ENFORCEMENT DOING THEIR JOB

C'mon folks.

The shrub make sure who he was putting in that office. Gonzales isn't interesting in upholding American law.
    Beat me to it, CheyenneWoman!

BTW: I like 'shrub'.

It hurts me to say this, but I don't trust any of them (shrubs and shrubettes).
    TIME'S UP!
    Why should <u>only</u> AMERICAN CITIZENS and LEGAL immigrants, have to obey the law?!

Condemnation with justification all in one sentence--he's talking out of both sides of his mouth. I dare someone to tell me he's not prejudice or biased towards latins.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

With good reason, Pat.

I don't trust 'em either!!

BTW, I saw a bumper sticker the other day that said:

BEAUTIFY AMERICA, PLANT A SHRUB IN TEXAS

``Reform that's anything short of comprehensive will not be nearly good enough,'' he said. ``This is a very delicate and very complicated issue.''
    There is nothing delicate or complicated about this. Either you are here legally or illegally. There is no grey area.