Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Bush Celebrates Cinco De Mayo, a Day Early

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 911D88.DTL

Bush Celebrates Cinco De Mayo, a Day Early
    - By DEB RIECHMANN, Associated Press Writer
    Thursday, May 4, 2006

(05-04) 16:36 PDT WASHINGTON (AP) --

President Bush pushed for immigration legislation on the eve of the Mexican holiday Cinco de Mayo.

"You may have noticed this celebration is not on the Cinco de Mayo," Bush said about the holiday, which celebrates Mexican troops' defeat of a French army on May 5, 1862. "It's on the Cuatro de Mayo. It's such an important holiday we thought we would start early."

While Latina singer Graciela Beltran got the loudest applause, the guests attending the East Room event cheered Bush's words about immigration — a contentious issue that has triggered large street demonstrations and produced divisions in both political parties.

"Our nation does not have to choose between being a compassionate society and a lawful society," he said. "A lawful society is one that enforces its laws and enforces its border."

Bush generally favors plans to give millions of illegal immigrants a chance at U.S. citizenship without leaving the country, but he has tempered his support because of opposition from conservative House Republicans. He supports strengthening U.S. borders, but also wants a guest worker program to let immigrants work for American businesses.

"I think we need to create a secure and legal channel for people to come to this country to work," he said. "It'll reduce the number of people trying to sneak across our border. It'll treat people humanely. It'll get rid of the coyotes and the document forgers."

Bush also reasserted his belief that immigrants should learn English. When "Nuestro Himno," a Spanish version of the national anthem, debuted recently, Bush said people who want to be U.S. citizens ought to learn to learn to sing the national anthem in English.

"Becoming an American is a great privilege and it carries responsibilities with it," he said. "Those who come here to start new lives in our country have a responsibility to understand what America is about and a responsibility to learn the English language so they can better understand our national character and participate fully in American life."
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/05/04/ ... migration/

Bush renews push for 'comprehensive' immigration bill
    'All elements must be addressed together, or none will be solved'

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President Bush reiterated his support for a guest worker program Thursday during a Cinco de Mayo event in the White House's East Room.

Bush has a scheduling conflict and will not be able to attend an event set for Friday, so the White House celebration was held a day early.

"Our nation does not have to choose between being a compassionate society and a lawful society," the president said. "I support strengthening our borders, and I support a temporary worker program that would match willing workers with American employers."

Bush added that he believes in the need for "a secure and legal channel for people to come to our country" and pressed for "comprehensive" immigration reform rather than a piecemeal approach.

"All elements must be addressed together, or none will be solved at all," he said.

Bush's remarks come in the midst of controversy over immigration reform and a series of mass demonstrations by immigrants.

Immigration reform has stalled in Congress, primarily because the majority Republicans are deeply divided over what to do about the millions of illegal immigrants already in the country.

The Senate is considering a proposal that would allow illegal immigrants to obtain legal status, and eventually citizenship, by working for six years, paying a fine, undergoing a background check and learning English. Supporters of the idea call it "earned citizenship," but opponents -- including many conservatives in the GOP base -- denounce it as "amnesty."

When the House passed immigration reform in December, it took a much tougher line. The House bill contains no mechanism for illegal immigrants to earn legal status, and, in addition to making illegal immigration a felony, also calls for building 700 miles of security fence along the U.S.-Mexico border.

The House bill has sparked a wave of protests by immigration supporters, particularly because of the provision making illegal immigration a felony. However, GOP leaders have indicated they are likely to drop that provision when House and Senate negotiators hash out details of a final bill.

On Monday, throngs of immigrants and their advocates took to the streets of many U.S. cities to protest proposed immigration laws. (Full story)

Among the locations were: New York; Washington; Las Vegas, Nevada; Miami, Florida; Chicago, Illinois; Los Angeles, California; San Francisco, California; Atlanta, Georgia; Denver, Colorado; Phoenix, Arizona; New Orleans, Louisiana; and Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

Organizers of the nationwide event, dubbed "A Day Without Immigrants," asked those opposing tighter restrictions on immigration -- namely immigrants themselves -- to flex their economic muscle by boycotting all aspects of commerce, including work and school.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

"It's on the Cuatro de Mayo. It's such an important holiday we thought we would start early."
    exactly WHY is OUR President celebrating a Mexican holiday in OUR White House? This is NOT an important holiday in OUR country

"Our nation does not have to choose between being a compassionate society and a lawful society," he said. "A lawful society is one that enforces its laws and enforces its border."
    clearly, we are not a "lawful society" because our President absolutely refuses to enforce our laws or secure our borders -- but he celebrates Mexican holidays!
    "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it" George Santayana "Deo Vindice"

Have another drink there George then maybe you could get it right
    Freedom isn't free... Don't forget the men who died and gave that right to all of us....

This man should be ashamed of himself. I heard him
    say it was the merging of two cultures. What a liar.
    Whatever "dreams" he's envisioned between the U.S.
    and Mexico is just that... a dream.
    Always aim at complete harmony of thought and word and deed.
    Always aim at purifying your thoughts and everything will be well.
    Mahatma Gandhi

GRRRRR!!!!!!

This man has to be IMPEACHED!!

He is insane.

He is so bad he insults pond scum.

Throw this Traitor Bum O U T!

A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by Judy
    GRRRRR!!!!!!

This man has to be IMPEACHED!!

He is insane.

He is so bad he insults pond scum.

Throw this Traitor Bum O U T!

HERE HERE ! Can I get an AMEN to this!

Jorge Bush

Shit always rolls down hill.... Let's have fun watching it...

Who is in comtrol?

Vincente Bush has to celebrate his holiday with his brothers and sisters. Remember he is pandering to the desires of one of his masters, Vincente Fox. It is obvious he cares more for the citizens of a foreign country than he does for those that put him in office (his electorate). The country is coming apart at the seams and he just doesn't get it or doesn't care. We know where his allegiance lies. Sort of like that deer caught in the headlights blank stare that he is known for when unable to accomplish a process called thinking.

Here's the transcript to the speech. However you need to supply your own puke bucket.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases ... 504-9.html

President Celebrates Cinco de Mayo at the White House
    East Room

1:57 P.M. EDT

THE PRESIDENT: Thank you, please be seated. Bienvenidos, welcome to the White House. I'm honored to have so many distinguished Hispanic and Mexican American leaders here for the Cinco de Mayo celebration. You may have noticed this celebration is not on the cinco de Mayo -- (laughter) -- it's on the cuatro de Mayo. (Laughter.) It's such an important holiday, we thought we would start early. (Laughter.)

I appreciate Hector, good to see you, head of the SBA is with us today. Gaddi Vasquez, thank you for coming. Thank you both for bringing -- thank you for bringing your wife, Hector. I want to thank Anna Cabral, who is the Treasurer, and glad you brought Victor. Thanks for coming.

I appreciate the Ambassadors who have joined us -- Ambassador de México is with us today, Embajador, gracias, y también, mi amigo, the ambassador from the United States to Mexico, Antonio Garza. Welcome you both. Glad you're here. I appreciate Eduardo Aguirre, Ambassador to Spain. Thank you for coming, Eduardo. Hans Hertell, the Ambassador to the Dominican Republic. Thank you all very much for coming. Thanks for serving the country and thanks for serving your country, Ambassador, as well.

I appreciate the military personnel who are here today. We're proud of you. Thanks for wearing the uniform of the United States of America. (Applause.)

Before I introduce our entertainer, I do want to share some thoughts with you about the importance of Cinco de Mayo, for it commemorates a joyful moment in Mexican history. Americans must understand that it was a time when Mexican soldiers won the Battle of Puebla, and defended their independence. So, obviously, Cinco de Mayo is a day of special pride for citizens of Mexico, but it is, as well, for Americans. It is a reminder of a proud heritage we share with our neighbor to the south. That's how I view the day.

We pay tribute to that heritage, and we honor the warmth and importance of the friendship between our two nations. The United States and Mexico are united by ties of family and by commerce and by history and by culture and by values. Both nations believe in the rights and the dignity of all people. We share an important trade relationship. We have discovered that trade between our nations is good for our peoples. We believe in the ideals of freedom and independence that Cinco de Mayo represents.

Here in the United States, Mexican Americans have helped build our country and helped shape our culture. Mexican Americans have made our nation more vibrant and more hopeful cada d a. Mexican Americans have enriched the American experience with contributions to business and the arts and music and sports. Latino entrepreneurs are creating jobs across the country; the number of Hispanic-owned businesses is growing at three times the national rate. More Hispanic Americans own their homes than ever before in our nation's history.

Many Mexican Americans have also shown their devotion to this country by defending it. More than 600,000 of our veterans are of Mexican descent. I see some of our veterans back. I'm sure -- we got a lot of veterans here, as a matter of fact. I want to thank you for setting such a good example for those who wear the uniform today.

Many Mexican Americans have worn the uniform of the United States military, and they're defending our country with valor. They're making America more secure, and at the same time, laying the foundation of peace for generations to come.

I know our citizens have enormous pride in the Mexican heritage, and rightly so. We also know that America has thrived as a nation because we've always welcomed newcomers, who in turn embrace our values and our way of life. Becoming an American is a great privilege, and it carries with it responsibilities. Those who come here to start new lives in our country have a responsibility to understand what America is about, and the responsibility to learn the English language so they can better understand our national character and participate fully in American life. That's what we want. Making this effort is also key to unlocking the opportunities of America, allowing new folks to rise in society and realize the American Dream.

In this country, we're now having an important debate about immigration. And it is really important that we discuss this issue in a way that is worthy of this country's best traditions. Our nation does not have to choose between being a compassionate society and a lawful society. (Applause.) A lawful society is one that enforces its laws, and enforces its border. That's what a lawful society does. A compassionate society rejects a system that treats people as if they're something to be traded, honors human rights and human dignity, helps people out of the shadows of society, treats people in a decent and humane way.

So I support strengthening our borders, and I support a temporary worker program that would match willing workers with American employers. See, I think we need to create a secure and legal channel for people to come to this country to work. It will reduce the number of people trying to sneak across our border. It will treat people humanely. It will get rid of the coyotes and the document forgers. It will affirm our belief that every person has got dignity and every person has got value, and at the same time, it will make it easier for us to be a nation of law and to protect our border. (Applause.)

Immigration reform needs to be comprehensive because all elements of this problem must be addressed together, or none of them will be solved at all. The American people must conduct this debate with dignity. They must remember that we're a nation of immigrants. They must understand -- (applause.) They must remember that throughout our history people have come to America because this is a place where they can pursue their dreams, no matter who they are or where they're from.

Mexican Americans have brought with them a culture based upon faith in God, a deep love for family, and a belief that hard work leads to a better life. Every immigrant who lives by these values makes the United States a better country, makes our future brighter, as one nation under God. (Applause.)

Across America tomorrow, there will be many celebrations of Cinco de Mayo. The performances we're going to see today represent some of the very fine talent. It reminds us that we're a nation that is strong because of our diversity. There's going to be a lot of traditional music, a lot of pretty good Mexican food, too, I bet you. (Laughter.) Kind of reminds us of Texas, doesn't it, Ambassador?

May God continue to bless all of us who are fortunate enough to live in this land, and may God continue to bless our country and the many sons and daughters of Mexico who call our nation home. Happy Cinco de Mayo, and now it is my pleasure to introduce one of Mexico's great talents, Graciela Beltran (Applause.)

END 2:09 P.M. EDT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Return to this article at:
    http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases ... 504-9.html

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast