Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Banned

Bush hits foes of alien bill

Bush hits foes of alien bill

http://washingtontimes.com/national/200 ... -7472r.htm

By Jon Ward
    THE WASHINGTON TIMES
    May 30, 2007

President Bush shakes hand with students at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center in Brunswick, GA yesterday. President Bush shakes hand with students at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center in Brunswick, GA yesterday. (AP)

President Bush yesterday rebuked members of his own political party for trying to "frighten people" into opposing his immigration bill, prompting a quick backlash from some Republicans.

"Those determined to find fault with this bill will always be able to look at a narrow slice of it and find something they don't like," Mr. Bush said, speaking at a training center for immigration enforcement officials in Glynco, Ga.

"If you want to kill the bill, if you don't want to do what's right for America, you can pick one little aspect out of it, you can use it to frighten people. Or you can show leadership and solve this problem once and for all," Mr. Bush said.

The response to Republicans who say Mr. Bush wants amnesty for illegal aliens provoked the ire of conservative organizers and legislators alike.

"That's hurtful language," said Sen. Jeff Sessions, Alabama Republican. "If the bill did what they promised it was going to do, I'd support it. I'm for comprehensive reform, but it has to serve the national interests, not political interest."

"I don't think it's courage to support this flawed bill. I think sometimes it takes a bit of courage to resist this kind of short-term reform, so we can create a system that can actually work," Mr. Sessions said.

Rep. Brian P. Bilbray, California Republican and chairman of the Immigration Reform Caucus, took issue with Mr. Bush's assertion that critics are objecting to a "narrow slice" of the bill.

"Amnesty for 12-20 million illegal immigrants isn't a 'narrow slice' ... it's the whole darn pie," Mr. Bilbray said. "What part of illegal does the president not understand? The American people ... don't want another amnesty."

Paul Weyrich, founder of the conservative Free Congress Foundation, said that "there are legitimate reasons to oppose this legislation, and I don't think that it behooves the president to call people names or make accusations against them if they disagree with him."

"He is angering people beyond belief to the point that the Republican Party is going to split in two, thanks to him. If this bill passes, the Republicans will not recover from it," Mr. Weyrich said.

An aide to one Republican senator who is usually a close White House ally said that Mr. Bush had questioned the patriotism of lawmakers who are concerned about granting amnesty to illegal aliens.

"[It] not only stretches the bounds of credibility with conservative Republicans but in fact, it further erodes their confidence in this administration," said the aide, who asked that his name not be used.

Bush can shove it. (and I voted for the sob)

As I watch this whole thing with the illegal immigration thing unfold, it gets scarier and scarier. It's obvious Bush has stifled our right know by zipping up the media, yet he's allowed to get on tv and make his remarks against the American people. What does this remind you of, folks? This man is trying to turn this country into his own little dictatorship. Well, my mission for today is email all the networks and let them know how I feel about their bias. Anyone want to join me?
    RIP TinybobIdaho -- May God smile upon you in his domain forevermore.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"I don't think it's courage to support this flawed bill. I think sometimes it takes a bit of courage to resist this kind of short-term reform, so we can create a system that can actually work," Mr. Sessions said.
    Exactly! Stand up to the bullies!

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"If you want to kill the bill, if you don't want to do what's right for America, you can pick one little aspect out of it, you can use it to frighten people.
    Why would any part of the bill 'frighten' anyone? I can see if they don't like a certain provision, but why would they be frightened?

We know why, becuase most of the provisions in the bill ARE frightening. Sort of a slip by our President I think.

On the bright side, I LOVE that they chose the headline to read that way - "Alien Bill."

Quote Originally Posted by Rockfish
    "If you want to kill the bill, if you don't want to do what's right for America, you can pick one little aspect out of it, you can use it to frighten people.
    Why would any part of the bill 'frighten' anyone? I can see if they don't like a certain provision, but why would they be frightened?

We know why, becuase most of the provisions in the bill ARE frightening. Sort of a slip by our President I think.
    Excellent point. Now let's use that against him in our calls today.

I myself think the Demacrat's are getting off way to easy, there are alot of traitors in the Demacratic party and they need to be brought more out in the open, Kennedy needs to go down in 2008 and he needs more attention on him, they don't seem to have to defend their traitorous actions to the people at all, they are sitting back and letting the Republican take all the blame.
    I think we need to work both sides because this is not just a party issue it is an American survival issue.
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Kennedy won't go down in '08 because he will buy or bribe his way in like he always does. Didn't you catch the arm twisting going on during the voting on the amendments last week, then he snickered about it in front of the press. He's a low-life.
    RIP TinybobIdaho -- May God smile upon you in his domain forevermore.

Quote Originally Posted by tinybobidaho
    Kennedy won't go down in '08 because he will buy or bribe his way in like he always does. Didn't you catch the arm twisting going on during the voting on the amendments last week, then he snickered about it in front of the press. He's a low-life.
    Yes, but they don't vote him into office, it the people in Mass., that needs to be woke up, they are the answer to that paticular problem.
    You can't blame anyone but them for the old fool still being there.
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast