Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bush, Kennedy joining forces on immigration debate

Bush, Kennedy joining forces on immigration debate
    USA Today
    Last Updated: 5/16/2007 11:15:54 AM

Boy with US flag during pro-immigrant rally, Miami, Florida

By Kathy Kiely, USA TODAY

WASHINGTON - As he presses for legacy-building immigration legislation, President Bush finds himself aligned with the same unlikely ally who helped enact his first major domestic initiative.
    That would be Sen. Edward Kennedy, the Massachusetts Democrat who played a crucial role in crafting and passing the No Child Left Behind Act, the president's massive effort to overhaul education policy.

In a speech to the Associated General Contractors of America on May 2, Bush acknowledged Kennedy as a key player in the talks that are culminating this week, when the Senate opens an immigration debate. "I appreciate the leadership he's taken," Bush said.

Kennedy returned the favor on Saturday, praising Bush's call for a new immigration policy in the president's weekly radio address. "I thank President Bush for addressing the nation on this critical issue and emphasizing the common goals that we share," he said.

As in their earlier partnership, both men are trying to keep the outer ideological edges of their parties on board. Kennedy is working to persuade Democratic liberals to support an immigration package that's more punitive to illegal immigrants than some would like, while Bush works to convince Republican conservatives of the need to give some of those estimated 12 million illegal immigrants a chance at citizenship.

FIND MORE STORIES IN: Republican | Democrat | George W Bush | George W Bush | George W. Bush | Kennedy | Sen. Edward Kennedy | United States Senator | Alan Simpson
    Though they may disagree over some details, Kennedy and Bush have indicated support for the same basic elements of a bill: stronger border security and more stringent enforcement of laws against hiring illegal workers; a larger "guest worker" program; and a program to legalize workers now living here illegally.

Both men have personal stakes in success. Kennedy, the grandson of Irish immigrants, has worked on every major immigration bill of the past four decades. Bush is the former governor of Texas, a state that shares a 1,240-mile border and deep ties with Mexico.

The two also have much in common personally. Both are sons of political families in which, for a time, each seemed the least likely to succeed.

Both were mediocre students at Ivy League universities: Bush jokes frequently about his academic performance at Yale; Kennedy was expelled from Harvard, though later readmitted. Both struggled with personal demons: Bush gave up alcohol at 40; Kennedy was involved in an automobile accident at 37 that resulted in the drowning of a female passenger.

Both are lightning rods. Former senator Alan Simpson, a Wyoming Republican who knows both, said they handle the withering and personal criticism in similar fashion: "They're both sensitive people. They both bruise easily and heal quick."

The nation's two famous political dynasties have been deeply entwined for generations.

As a law student at the University of Virginia, Kennedy asked Sen. Prescott Bush, the grandfather of the current president, to speak to a student group. Decades later, at the January 2002 signing ceremony for the No Child Left Behind bill, Bush acknowledged how Kennedy returned the favor by helping to pass the landmark bill. "He is a fabulous United States senator," Bush said of Kennedy. "When he's against you, it's tough. When he's with you, it's a great experience."

A year later, the president's father, former president George H.W. Bush, hosted Kennedy at his presidential library to receive a $20,000 public service award.

The elder Bush joked, "It's a well-known political fact of life, particularly here in Texas, that when you want to fire up a Republican crowd - and give them a little 'red meat' - nothing works quite like tearing away at Ted."

Simpson sees the two as practical politicians: "You've got two guys who want to see something work. Ted doesn't keep score, and I don't think the president does either. Some of the political hacks who work for them might, but that's not how they live."

Contributing: David Jackson, USA TODAY

http://www.wbir.com/news/national/story ... ryid=45263
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"This amnesty will give citizenship to only 1.1-1.3 million illegal aliens.
    We will secure the borders henceforth. We will never again bring forward
    another Amnesty Bill like this."

-Ted Kennedy, 1986 (The year the IRCA was signed into law - the bill that
    granted the first official large-scale amnesty to many illegal aliens)

Don't let him/them forget.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

A year later, the president's father, former president George H.W. Bush, hosted Kennedy at his presidential library to receive a $20,000 public service award.

The elder Bush joked, "It's a well-known political fact of life, particularly here in Texas, that when you want to fire up a Republican crowd - and give them a little 'red meat' - nothing works quite like tearing away at Ted."
    You might have fooled some people with your sick GAME but, traitor!...you never, ever fooled me!!

Take your New World Order, Communist left overs, screwed up CIA and stick it up your sick & evil backside

I feel confident that eventually, when you meet your maker, you will be paying the ultimate price

Oh, forgot.................SCREW YOU pop
    your progeny doesn't have the brainpower to get it done.

"You're NOT referring that to ME, are you 2ndamendis??"

Quote Originally Posted by LegalUSCitizen

"Are you referring that to ME, 2ndamendis??

Good one, LEGAL!

Actually, I was thinking of the ENTIRE STRING OF SELL-OUTS one calls the 'bush cabal.'

Somewhere, I do believe there was some type of incest going around save for the MEXICAN WIFE of jebby. Wonder if this was part of their plan to straighten out the watered down bloodline? Or was it simply a plan to corral the mex thieves and bring them into the NWO - NAU fold?

Both men have personal stakes in success. Kennedy, the grandson of Irish immigrants, has worked on every major immigration bill of the past four decades. Bush is the former governor of Texas, a state that shares a 1,240-mile border and deep ties with Mexico.
    Two worthless pieces of crap born with silver spoons in their big mouth's. Neither ever worked an honest day's labor in their respective lives. Both are masquerading as statesmen who would lead the honest citizens of the USA.
    <div>Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself. Mark Twain</div>

"What was that, Sis? Would you care to repeat that ?!"

ROTFLMAO

You're very sharp today, LEGAL!!

Quote Originally Posted by LegalUSCitizen

"What was that, Sis? Would you care to repeat that ?!"

Yup, I would.........

Hey numbnut!

We don't need no stinkin' NAU & HAIL MARY AMNESTY BOMB in my United States of AMERICA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast