Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bush, Pelosi use Cinco de Mayo to discuss immigration

Bush, Pelosi use Cinco de Mayo to discuss immigration
    By Jeremy Jacobs
    May 05, 2007
    President Bush and Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) used Saturday’s celebration of Cinco De Mayo to highlight the importance of comprehensive immigration reform.

In a Rose Garden ceremony celebrating the Mexican holiday, Bush said Friday that the time has come for immigration reform, an issue on which he is closer to the views of the Democrats than those of many in his own party. The current immigration system, the president said, “is not working.”

“We need a system where our laws are respected,” Bush stated. “We need a system that meets the needs of our economy. And we need a system that treats people with dignity and helps newcomers assimilate into our society.”

Bush reiterated that he supports immigration reform that increases border security but that also allows the U.S. to be “competitive in the global economy.” In addition, the president pledged to find a way to resolve the “status” of illegal immigrants already in the country “without amnesty and without animosity.”

In honor of Cinco de Mayo, which celebrates the Battle of Puebla in 1862, Pelosi announced the U.S. members of the U.S.-Mexico Interparliamentary Group.

Pelosi said she has spoken with the president of the Mexican Senate, Manilo Fabio Beltrones, about the group’s upcoming discussions “to work to increase opportunity and prosperity for people on both sides of the border.”

The 12 bipartisan lawmakers appointed to the group include: Chairman Ed Pastor (D-Ariz.), Vice-Chairwoman Linda Sanchez (D-Calif.), and Reps. Bob Filner (D-Calif.), Silvestre Reyes (D-Texas), Hilda Solis (D-Calif), Ciro Rodriguez (D-Texas), Gabrielle Giffords (D-Ariz.), David Dreier (R-Calif.), Jerry Weller (R-Ill.), Connie Mack (R-Fla.), Michael McCaul (R-Texas) and Resident Commissioner Luis Fortuno (R-Puerto Rico).

http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/bus ... 05-05.html
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

he 12 bipartisan lawmakers appointed to the group include: Chairman Ed Pastor (D-Ariz.), Vice-Chairwoman Linda Sanchez (D-Calif.), and Reps. Bob Filner (D-Calif.), Silvestre Reyes (D-Texas), Hilda Solis (D-Calif), Ciro Rodriguez (D-Texas), Gabrielle Giffords (D-Ariz.), David Dreier (R-Calif.), Jerry Weller (R-Ill.), Connie Mack (R-Fla.), Michael McCaul (R-Texas) and Resident Commissioner Luis Fortuno (R-Puerto Rico).
    And how many of them oppose illegal immigration?

Zero would be my guess.
    It's like hell vomited and the Bush administration appeared.

Far I'm concerned Bush is 'water under the bridge' and that's putting it real nice. I never listen to him. As soon as he comes on TV the only word he gets in is Ah...then he's gone! I have the remote in my hands at all times. I have not heard a speech from his face in years. I don't know who he's talking to but it's definately not me.

Nancy Peloci and George Bush...what a pair - they do deseve each other.
    <div>GOD - FAMILY - COUNTRY</div>