Bush, Saca discuss immigration reforms
Staff and agencies
27 February, 2007

WASHINGTON - President Bush , in an Oval Office meeting Tuesday with Salvadoran President Tony Saca, pushed for immigration reform and nudged Congress to pass a guest worker program that would allow immigrants to seek temporary work visas.

"Every time he comes to the Oval Office he‘s expressed his deep concern and strong support for his citizens that may be here in our country, and I assured him that I was open-minded to his request, but more importantly, I‘m working hard to get a comprehensive bill, immigration bill, passed out of the United States Congress," Bush told reporters.

"We will have to wait and see what happens between the executive and Congress," Saca said.

Bush pushed for more cooperation between the United States and El Salvador on biofuels made from corn, wood chips and other materials. He stressed the importance of the Central American Free Trade Agreement and expressed his sympathy about the deaths of three Salvadoran representatives to the Central American Parliament.

"I expressed my concerns and our condolences about the three gentlemen who were recently assassinated, which led us into a broad discussion about security and my desire to help the president deal with security issues," Bush said.

Saca noted that the first anniversary of the CAFTA agreement is Thursday.

http://www.localnewsleader.com/brocktow ... s&id=68558